• Third pairing defenseman.

Votes: 73 54.5%
  • Will go back to AHL.

Votes: 6 4.5%

• Total voters

banks

Only got 3 of 16.
Aug 29, 2019
Players can break their ceiling. It happens. But that doesn't mean that the sky's the limit for everyone.

I went with 3rd pair. He's playing about 15 minutes a game this season and doing fine. With him coming out of nowhere to get here, there's no reason to expect even better out of nowhere.

Reactions: GermanSpitfire

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Players can break their ceiling. It happens. But that doesn't mean that the sky's the limit for everyone.

I went with 3rd pair. He's playing about 15 minutes a game this season and doing fine. With him coming out of nowhere to get here, there's no reason to expect even better out of nowhere.
Hes a good 3rd, borderline 2nd pair player at 21... are you expecting no growth at all?

banks

Only got 3 of 16.
Aug 29, 2019
Hes a good 3rd, borderline 2nd pair player at 21... are you expecting no growth at all?

If he was on a normal progressing career curve, sure. But, as I said, he's come out of nowhere. He was undrafted and played in the OHL last season. Being a good 3rd pair player at 21 is already a pretty big surprise.

I'm not saying he can't grow. But no, I'm not expecting it. A career regression is just as likely, or more so, than a progression.

Reactions: Voight

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
If he continues to develop like he has a top 4 dman is possible but more likely to be solid bottom 4 dman.

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax
I voted third pair but there's a sorta arbitrary "#4-5D" category that's missing between bottom pair and top 4 that he could fit into IMO. A guy who can be a 4 next to a good partner or excel as the 5 running your 3rd pair.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I voted third pair but there's a sorta arbitrary "#4-5D" category that's missing between bottom pair and top 4 that he could fit into IMO. A guy who can be a 4 next to a good partner or excel as the 5 running your 3rd pair.

Yeah. This is what i'd say. It's why i tend to break down defencemen into somewhat different categories.

Where i could see Xhekaj becoming that 4th wheel alongside the right partner in the right situation...but more likely is probably just a guy who you'd rather have as a mainstay anchoring your bottom-pairing. Which in his case, is still absolutely "found money" for the Habs.

banks

Only got 3 of 16.
Aug 29, 2019
If he continues to develop like he has a top 4 dman is possible but more likely to be solid bottom 4 dman.

If he continues to develop "like he has", he'll be Ray Bourque in 3 years. That's what people seem to be missing here. He literally skipped an entire league in his development. He never played in the AHL.

2020-21 Didn't play due to OHL's cancelled COVID season
2021-22 Undrafted rookie-camp try-out. Plays in OHL.
2022-23 NHL 3rd pairing.

That's not a career arc that you can extrapolate. He's already miles above what anyone would have said his potential was. And that's great. Don't get me wrong, I'm cheering for the guy. But this isn't a normal career arc. Expecting him to make the same year-to-year progress as a typical rookie is crazy.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
If he continues to develop "like he has", he'll be Ray Bourque in 3 years. That's what people seem to be missing here. He literally skipped an entire league in his development. He never played in the AHL.

2020-21 Didn't play due to OHL's cancelled COVID season
2021-22 Undrafted rookie-camp try-out. Plays in OHL.
2022-23 NHL 3rd pairing.

That's not a career arc that you can extrapolate. He's already miles above what anyone would have said his potential was. And that's great. Don't get me wrong, I'm cheering for the guy. But this isn't a normal career arc. Expecting him to make the same year-to-year progress as a typical rookie is crazy.
Which is why I am more conservative and say he is most likely to be bottom 2 pairing, as in spend time on the 3rd pairing with time on the 2nd pairing more than the 1st pairing. But time will tell.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
A 2nd pair unicorn dman
Unicorn because there aren't a lot of dmen like him. He'll be as intimidating as Lucic was.

People think that Xhekaj has little offensive talent because he's undrafted and fights a lot, but that's far from the truth. He's quite talented and I could see him scoring 40+ points if he reaches his potential.

Reactions: viceroy and Dutronc

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
3rd pairing D who will provide decent offence as he has a really good ability to get shots through from the point.

Still incredible he got to this point considering what his story has been but anyone expecting a top 4 d-man (in the context of a good team) will be disappointed, IMO.

Reactions: banks

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
His size, speed, and untapped offensive skills are all tantalizing. If he puts it all together he's a top pair guy. If he puts together some of the puzzle he's top 4. He's already a third pair guy. I think saying he's maxed out is pretty biased.

Tanknation

Feb 24, 2012
I see him as an Andrew Ference type player. Mainstay #5-6 defenseman.
Arent you the same guy that claimed vancouver to be the best and deepest team In history of sport at the beginning of the year? I think I will avoid all of your takes on here.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Defensive role player that can play top 4 minutes in a shutdown role but is probably more naturally bottom-pairing still.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad