Apple Vision Pro

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
Nope. they honestly look pretty ridiculous. not to knock anyone that has one as they do look like a good tool for sitting at the office but everyday/everywhere use that aint it (IMO).

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
This is pretty much the exact direction that I expected technology to go when I was a kid. I always had a feeling the future of tech would try to show the interface directly like this without needing to look at a screen.

Yes ,I know that you're still technically looking at/through a screen, but the more advanced this type of tech gets the more it'll be separated from the screen and integrated more directly into our vision.

1707327041183.png

Something like these implants from Black Mirror.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
I saw a cool video on Insta where AVP was helping the user learn piano, so that was pretty neat. Also saw a video of a guy wearing one while crossing the street, pointing and grabbing at the air, looking like a buffoon.

I need to make my way down to an apple store sometime and try it out.

Reactions: Rodgerwilco

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
This is pretty much the exact direction that I expected technology to go when I was a kid. I always had a feeling the future of tech would try to show the interface directly like this without needing to look at a screen.

Yes ,I know that you're still technically looking at/through a screen, but the more advanced this type of tech gets the more it'll be separated from the screen and integrated more directly into our vision.

View attachment 815959
Something like these implants from Black Mirror.
No thank you.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
I hope it takes off. My Quest was a ton of fun and the early hand tracking was halfway decent.

As hardware continues to improve and shrink maybe one day it's a small pair of glasses that runs so efficiently you don't need the giant goggles and a cord to a battery/power source.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Can we use this thread to get a little philosophical? Trying to imagine what society will be like in 20 or so years when AR/VR, combined with artificial intelligence, makes significant progresses.

I’m torn because part of me thinks the western world is so entrenched in convenience and comfort, not valuing high-culture, that tens of millions of people would have absolutely no issue tossing away the real world for the virtual. We spend so much time online as it is, distracting ourselves with streaming services and gaming. Or spending hours on Instagram, Twitter, Reddit, etc…Using entertainment mediums to escape our real lives is only going to get more immersive and engaging. It wouldn’t surprise me to see people lean all the way into it.

On the other hand we’re heading into uncharted territory here and maybe we reach a level where AR/VR is incredibly immersive but also uncomfortably sterile. That despite the leaps and bounds in progress ironically it’ll be more obvious just how fake it all is and the thought of slipping into a VR game world would eat away at too much of our humanity and sense of being a mortal creature experiencing reality.

Time will tell. The thought of humans 50+ years from now being able to latch into a VR world where they can feel like they’re really in Hyrule or a West World-esque experience does sound really cool. Imagine putting goggles on and essentially transporting to another place, where your interactions and experiences are created and influenced by machine learning…at a level nearly indistinguishable from reality. It very well could be the most incredible thing ever. It also sounds a pretty sad in a way, as we forgo the real for the artificial.

Food for thought.

They’ll eventually find a way to integrate this AVP tech with live sporting events though and that will unquestionably be cool as f***. Can’t wait for that!

Reactions: Summer Rose

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
Can we use this thread to get a little philosophical? Trying to imagine what society will be like in 20 or so years when AR/VR, combined with artificial intelligence, makes significant progresses.

Thanks for bringing this up. I spent a lot of my career and studies writing about technology, regulation, and social impacts, so this is right up my alley :)

I’m torn because part of me thinks the western world is so entrenched in convenience and comfort, not valuing high-culture, that tens of millions of people would have absolutely no issue tossing away the real world for the virtual. We spend so much time online as it is, distracting ourselves with streaming services and gaming. Or spending hours on Instagram, Twitter, Reddit, etc…Using entertainment mediums to escape our real lives is only going to get more immersive and engaging. It wouldn’t surprise me to see people lean all the way into it.

Much of the western world is indeed very comfortable and convenient. The range of folks that have access to the full scale of comforts and conveniences varies depending on which country we're talking about, but in general, yeah, the worse off people today are still better off than the worse off 20, 50, 100 years ago in absolute terms. By this I don't necessarily mean purchasing power and inflationary pressures, but more like access to clean and safe drinking water, safe foods, better health services and technologies that improve outcomes, more social services to help those in need.

What would you consider valuing "high-culture" to be? Is there a time in history that you believe that was the case from a general standpoint?

I agree that there are generally a lot of distractions available to people today, moreso than at any time in history. Big Tech and other multinational corporations have figured out exactly how to target our reward receptors to keep looking for that short-term dopamine hit they offer.

I was in Toronto last week, and while taking a street car, I looked around at everyone, and every single person was looking down at some kind of device. About 1/3 had earbuds or headphones so they have an even deeper level of disconnection from the world around them.

To me, it brings back the argument of Huxley's Brave New World vs. Orwell's 1984. Neil Postman articulated it pretty accurately back in the 1980s that our future would look more like Huxley's sleepwalking-through-life-by-being-distracted than the Orwellian Big Brother. We do it to ourselves - no need for government to keep the population down.

On the other hand we’re heading into uncharted territory here and maybe we reach a level where AR/VR is incredibly immersive but also uncomfortably sterile. That despite the leaps and bounds in progress ironically it’ll be more obvious just how fake it all is and the thought of slipping into a VR game world would eat away at too much of our humanity and sense of being a mortal creature experiencing reality.

Interesting point. I do wonder what the real difference is between the "real world" and the "fake world," because at the end of the day, all of our reality is subjective and happens within the mind.

If AI can create a beautiful symphony or amazing generated photo, and I can feel something from it, does it matter?

Many futurists believe that the biggest crisis facing humanity in the coming decades will be existential in nature - if AI and technology can do most of the work for us, and displace us from our jobs, what is our purpose? Humans are extremely resilient, and I'm sure future generations will find ways to adapt and grow, but the existential question is a difficult one. Maybe such a future provides an opportunity for more free time and pursuits of those "high-culture" activities that have been eroded by overly-busy and distracted lives.

Time will tell. The thought of humans 50+ years from now being able to latch into a VR world where they can feel like they’re really in Hyrule or a West World-esque experience does sound really cool. Imagine putting goggles on and essentially transporting to another place, where your interactions and experiences are created and influenced by machine learning…at a level nearly indistinguishable from reality. It very well could be the most incredible thing ever. It also sounds a pretty sad in a way, as we forgo the real for the artificial.

Food for thought.

They’ll eventually find a way to integrate this AVP tech with live sporting events though and that will unquestionably be cool as f***. Can’t wait for that!

Yeah, front row seats to any concert or sporting event will be incredible. I have a Quest 2 and saw a Billie Eilish show like that, where I was on stage beside her. Very cool. My daughter was a big fan of hers, and loved it.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Apologies for not replying to this sooner. Needed some focused attention and now I have the time.

What would you consider valuing "high-culture" to be? Is there a time in history that you believe that was the case from a general standpoint?

I agree that there are generally a lot of distractions available to people today, moreso than at any time in history. Big Tech and other multinational corporations have figured out exactly how to target our reward receptors to keep looking for that short-term dopamine hit they offer.
High Culture to me covers a spectrum of consumable creativity that speaks to our intelligence and truths of being a human being. Reading great literature, appreciating art, deeply enjoying: music, movies, shows for their resonating themes and narratives. The antithesis of Pop-Culture, which I'd define as entertainment mediums that appeal to the lowest common denominator of all people. Things that lack depth or significant meaning, that have fleeting appeal to the most amount of people at the expense of effort or "soul", for lack of a better word.

Entertainment has been so hyper-optimized for attention grabbing in so many areas that it's become the new norm. I don't feel a strong sense of passion in a lot of the things I'm personally consuming and I (arrogantly) assume that's common for many other people as well.
I was in Toronto last week, and while taking a street car, I looked around at everyone, and every single person was looking down at some kind of device. About 1/3 had earbuds or headphones so they have an even deeper level of disconnection from the world around them.

Technological improvements are making us more and more isolated IMHO and we're departing from our naturally social ways in many aspects of life. Give us 20 years of tech improvements in Generative-AI and VR/AR and I think it's likely the people with means to access these technologies will have little reason or desire to have regular interactions with other humans in the real world. God only knows what affects these things will have on dating, sex, and pair-bonding relationships going forward.

To me, it brings back the argument of Huxley's Brave New World vs. Orwell's 1984. Neil Postman articulated it pretty accurately back in the 1980s that our future would look more like Huxley's sleepwalking-through-life-by-being-distracted than the Orwellian Big Brother. We do it to ourselves - no need for government to keep the population down.

Agreed in full. Society will likely continue to sacrifice many things innate to being a human being for the payoff of comfort. Why immerse yourself in the ongoings of the real world like: a shifting climate, drastic disparities in income and inequality of opportunity, etc...when you can slip away into whatever version of a "Metaverse" we'll have available to us?

Interesting point. I do wonder what the real difference is between the "real world" and the "fake world," because at the end of the day, all of our reality is subjective and happens within the mind.

If AI can create a beautiful symphony or amazing generated photo, and I can feel something from it, does it matter?

Very subjective topic here. I mostly believe the difference between fake and real will become more apparent as we dabble in this technology. There's a chance we're being too arrogant in our assumptions i.e. that it'd be possible to sufficiently map a version of the real to the extent for all intents and purposes it's indistinguishable from reality. Basically, I think the "Allegory of the Cave" is a fundamental aspect of humanity and something we're intrinsically tuned into and incapable of turning off.

What we see with Generative-AI at the moment is very impressive, perhaps it's too early for judgments, but while impressive there's an undeniable stamp of "not made by humans". I don't even mean the quality of the images or videos, but there's such a distinct lack of soul that (at least personally) I can't shake off that notion that we're looking at an extraordinary gimmick.

A quick example, I was recommended an AI-generated video of Christopher Hitchens post-humously debating someone on religion. Had this happened in the real world it could've potentially been very interesting. As it is now however it seems too artificial to be useful or relevant. These two people weren't actually having this discussion so it can't possibly be meaningful. The technology is remarkable no doubt and it will only get better. But do you think listening to a debate between an AI version of say...Plato vs Thomas Jefferson would really be worthwhile. Really, truly, compelling? Or just a neat trick based on the enormous computing power of Machine Learning Models?

Many futurists believe that the biggest crisis facing humanity in the coming decades will be existential in nature - if AI and technology can do most of the work for us, and displace us from our jobs, what is our purpose? Humans are extremely resilient, and I'm sure future generations will find ways to adapt and grow, but the existential question is a difficult one. Maybe such a future provides an opportunity for more free time and pursuits of those "high-culture" activities that have been eroded by overly-busy and distracted lives.

I too think our species as a whole will be facing an existential crisis of sorts, as there will be less need and less opportunity to have an impact or even really participate in the real world. This is definitely getting too far ahead of things, but I'd imagine when we start harvesting resources and settling out in space this disparity will be even more drastic.

OK! Long winded and pretentious reply is over! This is a hockey forum right!? :laugh:
This is what happens when my team is dogshit for the last 7 years I guess.

Reactions: Summer Rose

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad