Post-Game Talk: Apparently no one else is making one edition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ziostilon

Feb 14, 2009
does this team play like Tampa

because people say the style Tampa plays isn't going to work in the playoffs

BC Ben

Mar 26, 2010
True North
#10 is less relevant this year than in any year in recent history. This team got scoring depth. We didn't see it last game but that is no excuse to neglect the fact. Otherwise, good points.

I agree that our secondary scoring is better than it has ever been... in recent history. But that is no excuse to neglect the fact that the Sedins are our #1 line and will be expected to lead the offensive charge. This doesn't mean putting points up on the board every night, but to be effective in the offensive zone - thus creating momentum, tiring the other team out, etc.

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
I too wonder if Willy isn't doing enough to get bonino some easier match ups and offensive zone starts...I also think Bonino could use more pp time. give a shift or two of Vey's gift wrapped prime time spot to Bonino.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Or he was on a hot streak? He could be banged up for sure, but I just think we got so excited he was on pace to score 70 that we forgot he's a 45-55 point guy.

Yeah, that line was bound to cool down after a run of good percentages. It's important that they keep being able to match up against the opponent's best though even when they're cold.

crazychimp

Jun 24, 2014
Vancouver
I really think Bonino is injured or at least pretty banged up, he looks completely 180 from earlier and that drop off doesn't happen for no reason.

I hope a couple days of good sleep, PT and proper practices will help.

He took a hit in Pitts I think he hurt his knee he looked off the games before as well but I think that hit did some damage.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Where did you find these quotes? I don't know how you can blame any one guy on that line, they're all playing like crap and have been for 10+ games, even the one they padded their stats on against Columbus wasn't a great game.

Iain MacIntyre @imacVanSun · 19h 19 hours ago
Desjardins explains, 3P move wasn't Bonino to 4th line, it was Dorsett, Hansen to 2nd. Ice times bear out. 20/53/14 became 4th line.

Think someone else mentioned it as well. Don't recall who.

Completely agree though, personally. That whole 2nd line has stunk of late. Gone totally ice cold.

Not hugely surprising i guess, given the track record of streaky production from some of these guys individually.

arsmaster*

Yeah, that line was bound to cool down after a run of good percentages. It's important that they keep being able to match up against the opponent's best though even when they're cold.
That's why I thought putting Richardson between Burr and Higgy gives the coach a better matchup line and can try and get Bonino and our offensively slanted rookies some soft matchups.

Iain MacIntyre @imacVanSun · 19h 19 hours ago
Desjardins explains, 3P move wasn't Bonino to 4th line, it was Dorsett, Hansen to 2nd. Ice times bear out. 20/53/14 became 4th line.

Think someone else mentioned it as well. Don't recall who.

Completely agree though, personally. That whole 2nd line has stunk of late. Gone totally ice cold.

Not hugely surprising i guess, given the track record of streaky production from some of these guys individually.

The difference in their icetimes was essentially a PK shift, possibly one extra EV strength shift.

As above, that's not the shakeup I'd have made, but at least Willie tried something.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I really think Bonino is injured or at least pretty banged up, he looks completely 180 from earlier and that drop off doesn't happen for no reason.

I hope a couple days of good sleep, PT and proper practices will help.

Or he was on a hot streak? He could be banged up for sure, but I just think we got so excited he was on pace to score 70 that we forgot he's a 45-55 point guy.

Yeah, i'm kind of inclined to go with the latter "hot streak" explanation. He racked up a bunch of points in a little spurt, and scored some clutch goals...but i'm not sure it ever really felt to me like he was dominating or completely driving the play most of that stretch. Kinda always felt like Higgy and Burr doing a lot of the work there with amazing hustle and hard work.

If anyone looks banged up (or at least worn out) to me on that line, it's probably Higgins. He's really dropped off lately.

But then, as above...i think it's equally likely that this is just a 2nd line constructed of 3 "tweener" forwards, or 45pt type guys, with no real 70pt offensive stud in the driver's seat. A line like that is going to run hot and cold, and they're going to suffer more when the grind gets tough and the energy levels get chewed away as it clearly has over this trip. When they were scoring, it was largely through hustle and relentless forechecking, etc. If they get a chance to rest up a bit and get a little break mentally, hopefully we'll see them bounce back a bit...'cause we don't really have much in the way of alternatives available.

Phenomenon13

Oct 10, 2011
does this team play like Tampa

because people say the style Tampa plays isn't going to work in the playoffs

any reason why the tampa style won't work? It seems similar to the detroit and chicago style of speed, puck possession and emphasis on control.

BobbyJazzLegs

Sorry 4 Acting Werd
Oct 15, 2013
People throw that sort of thing around every year, though sometimes it's legit (see Penguins, Pittsburgh; Rangers, New York).

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
With regards to all the talk of exhaustion. Although we just finished off a very long road-trip we are actually in the midst of our least gruelling month scheduling wise. My math may be a bit off but here is the breakdown I found month-by-month. If this team is having exhaustion issues this early in the season then we are in serious trouble once February hits.

October - 10 games in 23 games (43.48%)
November - 14 games in 30 days (46.67%)
December - 11 games in 31 days (35.48%)
January - 12 games in 31 days (38.71%)
February - 14 games in 28 days (50%)
March - 16 games in 31 days (51.61%)
April - 5 games in 11 days (45.45%)

Uh, so you're point is, due to the fact they don't play many games from Dec. 10-31 they shouldn't have been tired on Dec. 9? What am I missing here?

Fatigue is a day by day, week by week issue. To think you can't be physically tired because you've only played 30-35 games is a bit ridiculous...

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
Uh, so you're point is, due to the fact they don't play many games from Dec. 10-31 they shouldn't have been tired on Dec. 9? What am I missing here?

Fatigue is a day by day, week by week issue. To think you can't be physically tired because you've only played 30-35 games is a bit ridiculous...

I didn't say either of the bolded. You just created that argument yourself out of thin air.

Samzilla

Prust & Dorsett are
Apr 2, 2011
Somebody said during the montreal game on here that Linden called out the league. What did Linden say?!

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
Somebody said during the montreal game on here that Linden called out the league. What did Linden say?!

I dont know either, in the province they said he was on sportsnet and talked about the no hearing for robidas. No idea when or where this was.

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
I didn't say either of the bolded. You just created that argument yourself out of thin air.

With regards to all the talk of exhaustion. Although we just finished off a very long road-trip we are actually in the midst of our least gruelling month scheduling wise. My math may be a bit off but here is the breakdown I found month-by-month. If this team is having exhaustion issues this early in the season then we are in serious trouble once February hits.

October - 10 games in 23 games (43.48%)
November - 14 games in 30 days (46.67%)
December - 11 games in 31 days (35.48%)
January - 12 games in 31 days (38.71%)
February - 14 games in 28 days (50%)
March - 16 games in 31 days (51.61%)
April - 5 games in 11 days (45.45%)

Then what exactly are you saying with this post? How is it relevant to their current exhaustion levels how many games they play going forward?

December - 3 games in 4 days (75%)

Those are the most important numbers here.

Baby Pettersson

Mar 8, 2014
Saskatoon
Sedin Sedin Vrbata
Bonino Horvat Kassian
Higgins Matthias Burrows
Dorsett Richardson Hansen

Because why not. I think that second line has potential.

BobbyJazzLegs

Sorry 4 Acting Werd
Oct 15, 2013
Very interesting.

Fankly, I think Vey sits when we're fully healthy at this point, even though he may not deserve to (even though he may not deserve ALL of his current minutes...).

Ultimately, I'd like to see Richardson settle on the 4th line. I'd like Bo between Matthias and Kassian, or Higgins and Burrows for that matter.

Definitely do like the look with Bonino and Kass on his wing, though I don't think it's one we're likely to see.

Matthias back to centre is not something I'm entirely sold on, but I also wouldn't mind taking another look.

We definitely have more options than Willie is going with.

Likewise think he needs to shake up the 2nd PP unit bigtime, and get Bonino some time on the 1st unit.

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013

Paraphrasing here but he said he wasn't happy it didn't get a review and that it was a direct hit to the head that was easy to see... He also said he call someone I'm guessing in the NHL or player safety to let them know he wasn't happy...

He did not say we accept the decision or I don't want to comment... He also sounded a bit sick in the throat so it seemed like it was deliberate to go on air just be for puck drop in the second so that it maximized the exposure his comments would get

BC Ben

Mar 26, 2010
True North
Paraphrasing here but he said he wasn't happy it didn't get a review and that it was a direct hit to the head that was easy to see... He also said he call someone I'm guessing in the NHL or player safety to let them know he wasn't happy...

He did not say we accept the decision or I don't want to comment... He also sounded a bit sick in the throat so it seemed like it was deliberate to go on air just be for puck drop in the second so that it maximized the exposure his comments would get

Yea, this... I thought it was a bold move and one that was likely to get the league's attention because we all know that criticizing the league/officiating is a no-no. :shakehead

Scurr

Jun 25, 2009
Whalley
Yea, this... I thought it was a bold move and one that was likely to get the league's attention because we all know that criticizing the league/officiating is a no-no. :shakehead

I thought TL handled it well. He didn't really call them out but he did get his point across. You can do that without being confrontational. That's a big difference between TL and Gillis.

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
I thought TL handled it well. He didn't really call them out but he did get his point across. You can do that without being confrontational. That's a big difference between TL and Gillis.

Lots of confrontational GMs in the league who get the benefit of the doubt from the league. No need to be a lap dog.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
It didn't work for Gillis. I'm ready for a new approach.

Yup. Linden is a practiced diplomat, both from his time as a leader on the ice and off it via the NHLPA and his business dealings. I would be stunned if he hadn't made his feelings known a bit more bluntly out of view of the cameras, but the diplomatic face is the one he will wear when the cameras are rolling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad