Ritchie -- Coyle -- Bjork
Frederic -- Kuraly -- Wagner
Senyshyn

DeBrusk/Carlo Return -- Pietrangelo
Grzlecyk -- McAvoy
Chara -- Clifton
Lauzon/Zboril
Miller

All this shows is that both lineups are still very incomplete with question marks throughout and more moves would need to be made unless guys take steps forward.
In theory I like the Pietrangelo move, as I believe building from the back end up makes us better.

This said it now involves our management making 2 additional NHL moves and their selection of pro players has been suspect. So can't say they'd actually upgrade the forward spot in an actual positive manner.

Hall makes a lot of sense for team needs. I think moving Carlo hurts, but having CM and AP here fills that role. and then they'd only need one additional move to fill the roster.

Reactions: BruinsFanSince94

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
A #1 defenseman over a top line winger every time unfortunately.

Our need was Hall, but I think our defense looks ugly right now as well with Krug gone and possibly Chara. The Bruins have difficult choices to make.

Too much "depth", too little high end talent.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
You make valid points, but I only worry about how above average guys age vs top end talents. One of those guys could be Backes. Unless we are talking about LTIR issues, the true first line guys tend to age better.
Agreed. My point on Smith and Dadonov assumes the Bs would not be giving them a lot of term. And, even with Hall, I'd have to see something from him before throwing big bucks at him on a long-term deal. I think Smith and Dadonov have at least a few good years left in them, if not more. Anything more than four years for either player I'd be wary of. Neither player is very physical, and they don't miss a lot of games, so those kind of guys usually have a longer shelf life.

Reactions: wintersej

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Colt made a great point - what’s the impression AP’s gets of Boston from his good friend Backes? Can he trust them with longer term contract or will they scratch him some game 7 Cup final because kuhlman looks quick out there?

You mean the Bruins that continued to pay his salary and told him it was OK if he didn’t report to Providence?

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

chrisab123

Feb 9, 2013
it makes more sense to go after to Hall but I hope they don't get rid of Debrusk in the process

Hell with DeBrusk. He's not the answer here. Trade him for a blue liner and sign Hall. Problem solved. That new contract for him is going to be rough.

Dabruins

Mar 15, 2003
Canada
Put your hands together!

But i just tried signing both and putting a roster together on Cap Friendly and couldn't realistically do it.

Team needs secondary scoring. Needs it bad in this limited window we have. I think the jump from a DeBrusk to Hall is much larger than Carlo to AP.

Hall allows for a couple different combinations.

Hall - Krejci - Pasta line would be unstoppable offensively (be a little scary in their own end though me thinks).
Marchy - Bergy - Studs

Or
Marchy - Bergy - Pasta
Hall - Krejci - Kase/Studs

Anyways, I am not getting my hopes up for either tbh. If we are lucky enough to get one, fantastic! but I could really see us missing, and just signing a Craig Smith....

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
HALL SIGNING ROSTER:

Marchand -- Bergeron -- Pastrnak
Hall -- Krejci -- Kase
Senyshyn

DeBrusk return -- McAvoy
Grzelcyk -- Carlo
Chara -- Clifton
Lauzon/Zboril
Miller

PIETRANGELO SIGNING ROSTER:

Marchand -- Bergeron -- Pastrnak
DeBrusk/Carlo Return -- Krejci -- Kase
Senyshyn

DeBrusk/Carlo Return -- Pietrangelo
Grzlecyk -- McAvoy
Chara -- Clifton
Lauzon/Zboril
Miller

All this shows is that both lineups are still very incomplete with question marks throughout and more moves would need to be made unless guys take steps forward.

? Maybe I’m confused but it seems like all that shows is that you’ve got two moves lumped into one with a slash between them.

if they get Petro, they still have two holes to fill. If they get hall, they have one.

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
I would prefer AP, as I think Boston just needs to improve their complimentary wingers and split up Marchand/Pastrnak. Both of those guys are top 10 wingers, Boston needs to stop playing them together.

But it really seems like AP is heading to Vegas, so I would perhaps hope the Bruins target Hall then maybe Martinez from Vegas, since they'll need cap space. They would also still need to move DeBrusk, Moore, Ritchie, and maybe Kase as well in this scenario. Honestly I'm just expecting Smith to be the "big move" though, along with re-signing DeBrusk/Chara/Grzelcyk and maybe picking up a decent LD from somewhere else.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
We've had a gaping black hole on Krejci's wing for 6 years since Lucic left. Sweeney has tried to plug that gap with unproven rookies (Griffith, etc.), washed up has-beens (Nash, etc.), washed up never-weres (Stafford/Stempniak), or overachieving 3rd liners (Kase).

Taylor Hall is 29, he's an elite player in this league, he's competitive and wants to win. I go all out to bring him here.

Pietrangelo would be a great asset to have on the defense, but you still have McAvoy, then trade Debrusk for a physical RH D-man.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Colt made a great point - what’s the impression AP’s gets of Boston from his good friend Backes? Can he trust them with longer term contract or will they scratch him some game 7 Cup final because kuhlman looks quick out there?

If AP is still capable of playing he will play. Backes was awful. You don’t get to play a game 7 because a contract you signed. Kuhlman was playing better than backes so Kuhlman played.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
? Maybe I’m confused but it seems like all that shows is that you’ve got two moves lumped into one with a slash between them.

if they get Petro, they still have two holes to fill. If they get hall, they have one.

In skeptical you need the LD upgrade if you have AP. It’s not like he has had OEL as a partner in the past... don’t you pay elite #1D to break in a Sweeney or McLaren or Carlo or McAvoy or Vaakaneinen or Lauzon?

bb74

Thanks for Everything Bill
Sep 24, 2003
Cuttyhunk
With the money invested in the core roster right now, you can't have Hall if over $7M and an upgrade on D. Gotta choose unless they are willing to deal a core player like Marsh or Pasta.

The D under contract right now is NOT a playoff caliber D. Fact. Tuuka if back is fine. Can't carry 10M in G though IMO. One needs to go. On D you need at LEAST one more legit top 4 to complement Macavoy and Carlo or we are kidding ourselves. Legit not fodder. That's 5-6M right there.

The total inability to slot in any F production from yutes the past few years has killed this. Signing Hall with a D of Macavoy, Grze, Chara, Carlo, Miller, Clifton and expecting good things would be like post 03 lockout with Scatchard and Zamuner... Will be a bottom 10 team IMO.

With a lot of wheeling and dealing the following roster would fit under the cap, but barely and even then, it just moves that elusive top 6 winger hole around like cheese on a platter...

Hall (under 7)-Krejci-Pasta
March-Bergeron-Stud
Debrusk (3.2M)-Coyle-Smith
Kuraly-Frederic-Kase
Senny

OEL ($2M retained)-MacAvoy
Grze-Carlo
Chara ($1M)/Zboril-Lauzon

Rask
Vladar

Without retained you need to off Kase and have 3 yutes in the bottom 9. That typically isn't a recipe for a long run....

Reactions: BEP

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad