AP: KHL looking to expand in China

varsaku

Feb 14, 2014
United States

I heard somewhere that the NHL doesn't have an international marketing department. They could capitalize a lot on the foreign players in the league. They also tend to sign TV deals with network not available to many people or only through PPV in many countries.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
I heard somewhere that the NHL doesn't have an international marketing department....

Would not surprise me if they didnt varsaku. Generally very much isolationist, North America-centric. They dont even know what their doing over here. What makes you think they could "read" France, Belgium, the Scandinavian countries or anywhere else? Thats a laugh. The only reason they played pre-season or any games in Europe was because of AEG and their interests. Arena development & management. Head to head with the Russians.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I heard somewhere that the NHL doesn't have an international marketing department. They could capitalize a lot on the foreign players in the league. They also tend to sign TV deals with network not available to many people or only through PPV in many countries.

Same with the KHL. Still you haven't given examples of KHL growing the game more.

DenisB8

Dec 19, 2014
Vienna, Austria
Same with the KHL. Still you haven't given examples of KHL growing the game more.

You can watch KHL games on Laola1.tv for free in Austria and Germany, they have the rights. I even think every non-KHL country in europe has the possibility to watch KHL on Laola1. Countries with a KHL team don't have access to it because of KHLTV being available in their countries. On the other hand to watch NHL here in Austria or Germany you have to get a special package where you have to pay. So they have done pretty well with selling the rights to Laola1 and making the league more accessible to viewers.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
You can watch KHL games on Laola1.tv for free in Austria and Germany, they have the rights. I even think every non-KHL country in europe has the possibility to watch KHL on Laola1. Countries with a KHL team don't have access to it because of KHLTV being available in their countries. On the other hand to watch NHL here in Austria or Germany you have to get a special package where you have to pay. So they have done pretty well with selling the rights to Laola1 and making the league more accessible to viewers.

How is that a sign of "growing" the game more?

Note that I think neither league is actually growing the game (outside established hockey countries) or even cares about it much. That's essentially the IIHF's job.

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
Note that I think neither league is actually growing the game (outside established hockey countries) or even cares about it much. That's essentially the IIHF's job.

Agree. All the KHL should focus on is growing the league, not the game. And there're light aeons of work still to be done on the base already existing.

On topic, I'm definitely not sure about how I feel about this proposal. Shanghai is a cool city to have in your league, but it's pretty far even from Vladik and Khabarovsk, and, most importantly, how are they going to support the KHL level play? By signing worst players? Idk Idk. But if it's profitable for the league, I think they cold do it.

Arlus

Apr 3, 2014
Europe
For me it's not outrageous having a hockey team from China in KHL or Russian hockey pyramid. When politics and money are involved it doesn't matter about the popularity or having a solid background. I think that this will be done, especially if China will get the Olympics.

Currently the KHL has a lot of organisational/structural issues, some of them created by the lack of coherent decision, but even so, the point is that having a hockey team in China shouldn't be seen from a 'hockey development program' perspective, but rather from a lucrative deal with benefits for all the parts involved.

wakawakawaka

Nov 15, 2014

Does nhl international not count?

Milos Krasic

Best Serbian Footballer (2009) / Serie A Winner
Jul 1, 2008
Should expand to Seoul instead, and make Oleg Li the face of the franchise.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad