AO's decision to come on Wednesday

Status
Not open for further replies.

freakazoid

May 9, 2005
Canada
Link

We will finally know for sure.

I don't understand the logic though. Sure he can make more money there next year, but the same can be said next year and the year after that, since he will be a rookie whenever he decides to come over, but his salary in RSL figures to only grow. So if he can't walk away from his almost $2M this year to come and make $1M here, why would he come over next year when he could make 2.5 or even 3M in RSL next year in exchange for the same 1M he will make here as a rookie.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
freakazoid said:
Link

We will finally know for sure.

I don't understand the logic though. Sure he can make more money there next year, but the same can be said next year and the year after that, since he will be a rookie whenever he decides to come over, but his salary in RSL figures to only grow. So if he can't walk away from his almost $2M this year to come and make $1M here, why would he come over next year when he could make 2.5 or even 3M in RSL next year in exchange for the same 1M he will make here as a rookie.

Yeah, he has to come over at some point. I don't see the logic in skipping out, at all. IMO, it couldn't be a good sign for the Caps. He doesn't need seasoning.

HSHS

Losing is a disease
Apr 5, 2005
Redondo Beach, Ca
If money changed hands and there is no longer an arbitration, then the decision is between the Caps and Omsk... and he already made that decision. :cry:

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
heshootshescores said:
If money changed hands and there is no longer an arbitration, then the decision is between the Caps and Omsk... and he already made that decision. :cry:

No, he didn't. Or not according to the Washington Times and his agent.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
Douggy said:
Why would he stay there for an extra year?

He's going to have to come over to the NHL eventually, and when he does, he'll make $850,000.

Actually, rookies drafted in 04 can make a $984,200 max before bonuses. Or so says TSN.

sveiglar

Feb 27, 2002
EroCaps said:
Actually, rookies drafted in 04 can make a $984,200 max before bonuses. Or so says TSN.

Plus he can *gasp* earn his schedule A bonuses and likely add another $850k if he doesn't screw the pooch when it counts.

The money issue is overplayed. Rookies who are very good will still get paid well.

HockeyCritter

Dec 10, 2004
Why wouldn't Ovechkin come over? Why would he bother negotiating an "opt out" clause he had no intention of coming to the NHL?

This is a kid who elected to study English so he can conduct interviews in North America. The only reason he won’t be in the NHL next season is because of legal issues.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
more info from wash post

Alexander Ovechkin, the Washington Capitals' No. 1 draft pick last year, has until midnight tonight to decide whether he will wear a Capitals uniform next season or play in Russia, his agent, Don Meehan, said yesterday.

"Alex has a very, very tough decision to make," Meehan said by telephone from his Toronto area office.

nikki9

Mar 19, 2005
Baron Von Shark said:
I for one want him in the NHL. I'd love to see him battle Sid for the Calder.

That would be great, think about it though, if he stays in Russia this year, he might as well stay there his whole career.

HSHS

Losing is a disease
Apr 5, 2005
Redondo Beach, Ca
EroCaps said:
No, he didn't. Or not according to the Washington Times and his agent.

Ah... the Continental... Very amusing.

Okay, according to the possibly bogus Russian report that first mentioned Omsk he basically said: "I prefer Omsk... if Dynamo wins arbitration, I will go to Washington." So what I am saying is if Dynamo is out of the picture, then its between Omsk and DC and thats where I fear he has already made his decision.

:dunno:

HSHS

Losing is a disease
Apr 5, 2005
Redondo Beach, Ca
One thing we Caps fans always do is focus on the negative... there has been many posts on this site, and on washingtoncaps site, that talks about the money, his homeland, etc etc etc...

Perhaps the reason he wants to go to Omsk over the Caps is because he wants to play on a winner?? He played on one at Dynamo, then left them cause he doesn't feel that they can compete. He feels that Omsk can.... who knows?? Just another thought.

shakes

Pep City
Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
If he turns down the extra one million dollars, he's an idiot. Sure he has to earn 850k when he comes over, but why turn down millions in the interim. This is a business decision

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
There is an excellent chance that Ovechkin will earn MORE in his first year post-entry level than what he'll make with Omsk this coming season. So, he might be an idiot but perhaps not for choosing to stay at home.

I know I know...but he could get a career-threatening injury blah blah blah. All the more reason why he should play in the NHL right away and not risk injury before he even makes it onto the grand stage.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
shakes said:
If he turns down the extra one million dollars, he's an idiot. Sure he has to earn 850k when he comes over, but why turn down millions in the interim. This is a business decision

Because the entry level #s won't change anytime soon and w/bonuses he stands to make more in the NHL.

shakes

Pep City
Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
EroCaps said:
Because the entry level #s won't change anytime soon and w/bonuses he stands to make more in the NHL.

Unless I'm mistaken, "stands" does not mean "guarantee". What happens if he hurts himself in training camp and is out until Christmas? If he is guaranteed an extra million in Russia then he would be stupid not to stay there.

Rakiet*

Boys, these players don't just bank all their cash, they make investments. Starting out with say $3M and putting that into something like a bond, many years down the road just from that investment, you will have a pretty nice sum. Do the math and of course the $3M invested will be doing very well vs. $850K

Keep in mind this point of view if his big sticking point is the money

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
shakes said:
Unless I'm mistaken, "stands" does not mean "guarantee". What happens if he hurts himself in training camp and is out until Christmas? If he is guaranteed an extra million in Russia then he would be stupid not to stay there.

Within a couple year's time he'll be making notably more in the NHL. He's more than likely to hit some lower bonuses that make things about level. Besides, he's said the decision isn't centered around his contract. The entry-level contract lasts what- 4 years? It's not avoidable. It doesn't make sense to stay in Russia.

banjaxths

Jul 14, 2005
Is there anything preventing him from signing a deal to play for the Capitals next year, but stay in Russia this season? Meaning...if he doesn't opt out of his contract, does he automatically go into the draft...or can the Capitals still try and sign him to a deal that would begin next season?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad