Anze Kopitar?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
I Stress the LEAFS to look at him man. Yet again i have to mention a can-be SKY LINE of Poni- Antro- Kopitar

bopeep

Jan 22, 2004
bc
His performance the last 2 games has caught everyone's attention. I can definitely see him creeping back up into people's top 15 once again.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002

Anthony Mauro

DraftBuzz Hockey
Oct 3, 2004
www.draftbuzzhockey.com
Leafaholix said:
I'm talking about his J20 stats.

He has a bunch of goals, but 6 assists in 17 games and is only +8.

Please explain how that, in a sick way, is bad? So he is a sniper, snipers are goalscorers who get goals, not a playmaker, who makes plays and gets assists... with 6 assists in 17 games, oh no Anze you're terrible. Lol, the guy is in the positives with his Plus/Minus. How can you talk bad about someone putting up good stats? +8 is good. Thats like saying someone had a bad game cuz they scored only 2 goals, in a 2-0 game, instead of a hattrick.

leafaholix*

Balej's Dance said:
Please explain how that, in a sick way, is bad? So he is a sniper, snipers are goalscorers who get goals, not a playmaker, who makes plays and gets assists... with 6 assists in 17 games, oh no Anze you're terrible. Lol, the guy is in the positives with his Plus/Minus. How can you talk bad about someone putting up good stats? +8 is good. Thats like saying someone had a bad game cuz they scored only 2 goals, in a 2-0 game, instead of a hattrick.
Not "bad"... but it's not overly impressive for a guy with 1st round hype.

Anthony Mauro

DraftBuzz Hockey
Oct 3, 2004
www.draftbuzzhockey.com
Leafaholix said:
Not "bad"... but it's not overly impressive for a guy with 1st round hype.

Fair 'nuff. Maybe his linemates cant convert on any of his passes so he just goes out with a mindset of scoring himself? It'd be easier to tell by seeing him on a bigger stage against players of his "caliber", or the caliber that hes being hyped to be.

Hiishawk

Feb 28, 2002
Out there somewhere
Visit site
Kopitar has been absolutely dominant at this tournament so far. Not only is he one of the youngest players there but he's almost the biggest (I'd go with 6'3, 205). He has trememdous hands, hockey sense (!), shot and uses his size well (not as a banger, but to break through checks, lean on defenders etc.). You can't take your eyes off him when he's on the ice because you expect him to do something and he will (certianly, at least, at this level)!

Jason Allison is a good comparison.

At this point I'd consider him (and you may/will laugh) a contender for that wide-open #4 spot in the draft. Of course, I'd like to see him more in the higher-level Swedish league on a regular basis before confirming that.

Jungle Boy

Feb 12, 2003
Recife, Brazil
steblick said:
Kopitar has been absolutely dominant at this tournament so far. Not only is he one of the youngest players there but he's almost the biggest (I'd go with 6'3, 205). He has trememdous hands, hockey sense (!), shot and uses his size well (not as a banger, but to break through checks, lean on defenders etc.). You can't take your eyes off him when he's on the ice because you expect him to do something and he will (certianly, at least, at this level)!

Jason Allison is a good comparison.

At this point I'd consider him (and you may/will laugh) a contender for that wide-open #4 spot in the draft. Of course, I'd like to see him more in the higher-level Swedish league on a regular basis before confirming that.

According to his profile in the ihhf.com he is 192cm/6´4 (6´3".5 acctually, dude I hate this royal system) 90 kg / 198 lbs. And I agree with you about him being in the top 5, great size and skill + suceeding in a very good league, I would pick him before Blake Wheeler :D

Preds666

Feb 27, 2002
Jungle Boy said:
+ suceeding in a very good league, I would pick him before Blake Wheeler :D

actually, the Swedish junior league is not that good. Most Swedish first rounders (and second rounders) have been drafted while playing men's hockey (SEL or Tier II). The SEL team of Södertälje just fired their coach (Timo Lahtinen - someone who is known to not be very good with young players), so a new coach could open up the opportunity for Kopitar to play.. although unlikely with the lockout and all.

An Ape called Yoko

May 15, 2003
Gothenborg
Visit site
steblick said:
Kopitar has been absolutely dominant at this tournament so far. Not only is he one of the youngest players there but he's almost the biggest (I'd go with 6'3, 205). .

6'3"??? No. He is 6'0". He might be first round material and all, but his point per game is worse than for example Nicklas Bergfors, who has dominated more when playing in J20 SuperElit. But still he has great stats. But i mean, usually swedish players have to play in SEL or Allsvenskan to be drafted high.

Last edited:

Jungle Boy

Feb 12, 2003
Recife, Brazil
Predatore said:
actually, the Swedish junior league is not that good. Most Swedish first rounders (and second rounders) have been drafted while playing men's hockey (SEL or Tier II). The SEL team of Södertälje just fired their coach (Timo Lahtinen - someone who is known to not be very good with young players), so a new coach could open up the opportunity for Kopitar to play.. although unlikely with the lockout and all.

Depends of the reference, I was comparing to the slovenian league. and I didin´t mean the the J20 league only I meant the whole Swedish hockey system, Sweden is a great hockey country and I´m sure that even tier II is better than Slovenian pro league, where Kopitar was playing (with man) and domitaning.

rivercanyon said:
6'3"??? No. He is 6'0". He might be first round material and all, but his point per game is worse than for example Nicklas Bergfors, who has dominated more when playing in J20 SuperElit. But still he has great stats. But i mean, usually swedish players have to play in SEL or Allsvenskan to be drafted high..
According to IIHF Steblick is right.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
rivercanyon said:
6'3"??? No. He is 6'0". He might be first round material and all, but his point per game is worse than for example Nicklas Bergfors, who has dominated more when playing in J20 SuperElit. But still he has great stats. But i mean, usually swedish players have to play in SEL or Allsvenskan to be drafted high.

Seems a bit unfair to compare Kopitar to Bergfors. I don't know a thing about the Slovenia league, but I assume the level of play and coaching isn't anywhere close to the level Sweden is. I could easily be wrong, since I have never followed the league what so ever. I would think that Kopitar would have a little trouble adapting, whereas Bergfors I assume has been brought up in the Swedish system, getting better coaching/competition etc... Just a thought.

Kronblom

Nov 27, 2002
Stockholm
Predatore said:
Anze should be lucky if he get´s 2 or 3 games on the bench, if the lockout continues, regardless of who´s coaching.

Tb0ne

Nov 29, 2004
Victoria
I'm just happy to see another country producing potentially NHL draft level talent, the more the better.

I hope Anze Kopitar is a star if he enters the league, maybe it will turn Slovenia into a small hockey player producing country (the whole small country following one of their brightest stars thing.. and kids there wanting to be just like him).

An Ape called Yoko

May 15, 2003
Gothenborg
Visit site
I haven´t seen the kid play yet(i will). But his points in J20 SuperElit isn´t impressive enough to be drafted in the first round(if he was a swede that is). Johan Andersson is also born 87 on the team and he has two more points than Anze Kopitar. But Andersson didn´t even make the swedish national team last tournament. Just to give you a hint. But im not saying he isn´t first round material.

Kopitar might well be a first rounder, i dunno, until i have seen him play. His size is also an enigma so far. Because all the reports i have indicates on him being 6'0" (182 cm) just like it says on stats.swehockey.se(which are usually right).

leafaholix*

zecke26 said:
maybe leafaholix was right and kopitar is nothing special. :lol
All I said was that his numbers aren't eye popping for a guy with the hype... even though he's not getting as much hype as guys like Crosby, Brule, etc... his U20 stats should be a lot better, no?

Fozz

Aug 1, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Leafaholix said:
All I said was that his numbers aren't eye popping for a guy with the hype... even though he's not getting as much hype as guys like Crosby, Brule, etc... his U20 stats should be a lot better, no?

Stats aren't everything you know. If scouts and other sources say he's that good, then he probably is don't you think?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad