News Article: Anze Kopitar talks about the Olympics, the new NHL season and more....

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
Long Interview with Kopi posted today in a local paper. Lots more photos...
http://www.siol.net/sportal/hokej/2013/08/veliki_intervju_z_najboljsim_slovenskim_hokejistom.aspx

Very roughly translated

The last two years have been for Anze Kopitar tremendously successful both in sports as well as in personal life. Last year, the won the Stanley Cup this year, he married his chosen Ines. It is a family of 25-year-old attacker is very important. In the interview he revealed to us how they have affected some of the records that are related to Matjaz father and brother Gasper. Their aim is to jointly perform at the Olympic Games in Sochi, the clubhouse area and wants to Los Angeles, which has already played 566 matches and scored 510 points, again to attack the Holy Grail of hockey. With a modest Hrušičanom We also touched on charitable note, which posrbi each and every year.

Anze if we start with the preparations. When did you start preparing for the new season and when followed by migration to the ice surface?

If I'm completely honest, even I do not know exactly when I started to dry workouts. I'm training for a good three weeks. Ice will be the first training task on Monday. This is slightly later than in previous years, when I started training on the ice last week of July. However, I have given that the last two seasons I spent quite some time on the ice in the legs quite enough ice is perfectly okay if I go on the ice surface a week later than at present, and somewhat rested.

You will be again on the ice workouts joined some other Slovenian players?

Currently I do not know which players are in Slovenia. For some, I know you have gone to their clubs abroad, Rok (Tičar, op. P.) And Robert (Sabolić, op. P.) Are already in Germany. Even hockey players who play in Sweden are already in their clubs. I think I will be in training joined David Rodman. For the rest, as I mentioned, I do not know whether they are still in Slovenia. I'm in these days few inquiries and call those who are still here, and asked them whether they would join me.

Did you like team sports athlete in hard to train yourself?

In dry practice sessions easier. You've got the training program, do as needed. Ice is a different story. It's okay if we were at least five or six that we can do some exercise. It is not only ice skating "in the blank." It is also difficult when you have to shoot at the empty door. This is truly the greatest torment. I hope that I will be a couple of guys joined. As soon as it becomes a bit more fun.

Hockey players always say that the hardest part of training a dry preparation. But at the same time without them it is not. And without them is not successful season ...
I think the most important part of the preparation of the dry season. Two and a half months getting ready for the season. Of these two months is dependent nine months of racing season, or tens, if everything goes to the end. Physical preparation must be properly grouped into two and a half months to make it to the benefits of nine months. It's difficult because you have to include a number of exercises and elements. You have to be strong, fast, durable and so on. Of course, it is important that this vzdržuješ also during the season.

Zadrživa is a bit of preparation. If you look on the preparations for the first season in the NHL, until today, how did you adapt and modify the plan preparation, you will find a combination or formula that suits you best?

A very important part of my preparation was four years ago when I went for 14 days in Los Angeles and coached by one of the fitness trainers that are no longer in the club. Affairs and the way of training me to explain in more detail. Performance We worked well together during the season. I have seen how easy it is to refrain season and be in great shape if once a day, for example after a workout, you go to the gym, bike or anything else. You do not need to go for an hour, can also be a half.

If skočiva now in Los Angeles, according to the trade are somewhat lost. They left you reserve keeper Jonathan Bernier, defender Rob Scuderi and Dustin Penner attacker ...

It's part of the sport. We knew that we will sooner or later someone left while strengthening what a player. It is important that the core remains the same. Dustin (Brown, op. P.) Has extended a contract for eight years, Jonathan Quick tied to the club for another nine or even ten years. There is a Carter and Richards, who has also signed a long term contract ... to me the contract will expire in three years, but you want to extend. I must not forget either the defender Drew Doughty, who also has a six-year contract. The core remains, the remaining goods are part of the transaction. Without this, it is not. Of course, when any kind of hard to say goodbye to the player, but that's it.

It is the new collective bargaining agreement has changed a lot of things
Anyway the end, I think our team has been assembled. Drastic changes should no longer be. We lost these players, it's true, but we still sufficiently connected and there is chemistry, so it should be again placed first in the playoffs, and then attack the very top. Yes, a prerequisite for a good game. Without the hard work and good games do not get very far.

In the playoffs you do not receive a lot of hits, but they also did not give much. Would you like to have in the team have some sharp shooter, such as Jeff Carter?

We're not known for that would achieve great results. After all, they all say that the winning plays in defense and that brings laurels. Sometimes we give some more naked, sometimes some less. We are all aware that we need to win to achieve results. It's not a secret. We will try to give you more (laughs).

Coach Darryl Sutter was once a great attacker. What is a person? On the television screen acts as a strict ...

Each coach must be rigorous. I do not mind if it is a strict coach. Must be hard, it must have the authority and Darryl in our locker room certainly has. But I can say that in my experience a very warm man. Requires a great deal, but can also listen to talk and give advice. When it's not all just black and white. Is not it hard to sit down with you and raise some nehokejske debate. This can free up the matter.

By winning the Stanley Cup and you are successful last season became the first sports team in Los Angeles. Did you feel any difference?

It would not be restricted to Los Angeles, but to the entire California where hockey is generally just a little more developed and raised, so it is necessary to look back a little. Some years ago, namely, Anaheim won the Stanley Cup (in 2006/07 season came to its first title in the NHL, op. P.), And then the ice in that region or Orange County increased slightly. Last year we became the champions we, so it's hockey skipped a few obstacles. We are now more people recognize and showing interest in us.

Last week, a group of doctors published a study of collisions and injuries. It concluded that due to stricter penalties is nothing less turbulence brain. So we have on one side a group that says it is necessary to continue to tighten sanctions on the other group says that without collisions and fights hockey lost its charm. How do you see the encounters and injuries?

It is difficult to answer simply. Scientists have very delve into injuries and encounters. Not only in hockey, even in American football and some other sports have done similar studies. They are correct and very good, but there is a fine line between what is right and what is not. If penalties have become more stringent, the hockey without doubt become softer. That no one wants. They also that the fights will no longer be allowed. But fights are part of the sport and hockey. Or should be stricter punish the perpetrators? I do not know. I think that in these matters the most important players and respect for opponents. If you watch an opponent in the back and you will come across it, is nothing to respect, but if you odrineš against the fence a little and then you run correctly, this is an entirely different story.

In this case, the player can use a placeholder to her arm and defend against Collision. Without a doubt, there is a significant fact. On the ice you have to be careful where you skate, where to watch where the opponent. In fact, it is very difficult to answer, what is right and what is not. These studies simply can not put aside. Professional hockey player acting career is about 20 years long, of course, if everything goes as it should go. At the end of a career you still have a few years to function, but not to the consequences of collisions completely distracted.

Go move to the Olympic Games. These are the dream of every athlete ...

As the boys managed to Denmark, it will be very difficult to repeat. I was not there, but I was very happy. Even the news that the leading men's IIHF and the NHL made ​​a deal about our appearance, I was very happy. What I like about it, as I have repeatedly said that it would be the first Olympic Games as a family flavor. Matjaž is a player never had a chance to go to the Olympic Games, the first will be for us to Gasper. If you put all three together it tasted, this was really the best feeling. At the same time they were the most beautiful memories.

Your relationship with your family and interest in the performances of Slovenian national has already mentioned your father. During the preparations for the World Cup in Maribor, said that you always call because you wanted to know how Slovenia is played ...

Many times I called him because I was interested to see how it played Slovenia, in particular, how he played Gasper. He is anyway still too skritizira. Slovenian appearances course I followed. Well, I'm not only in Denmark. The reason was simple. If you follow the match would be among them too nervous. I put the phone away during the match I was distracted by other matters. All I also said I should not send messages or write via e-mail, and so on. I wanted to see the final result. In particular, I mentioned all the warnings after the first match with Belarus, because I realized that we, if we overcome the second day in Dance at the Olympics. When the classification I was very happy. All the players I have on Facebook congratulated. Matjaz Gasper and I also called.

One is, if you criticize me because I give no goals, and the other is if they write such things as were written about Gašper and Matjaž. It's not pleasant.

You mentioned the relationship with his brother and father. As always, we probably was not easy. Here I am thinking of certain critical records in some media. How do you then take notes?

It is very difficult. You read things that you know are not true, but it is still very sore. Inner circle knows how much is invested in me and Matjaž Gasper, in itself, what is sacrificed himself for hockey and representation, and to ensure that everything would be as it should be. I also know how much Gasper invested in their careers and preparation, what is good and professional. After all this, it really hurts. One is, if you criticize me because I give no goals, and the other is if they write such things as were written about Gašper and Matjaž. It's not pleasant. And maybe even a little wrong, but we are in a circle of friends who know what we are doing this already somewhat accustomed. The fact that the media Gasper and Matjaz appear in such lights as they were, it is unfair, because maybe a million people in Slovenia do not know what they really are and might not know hockey and us, and you create the wrong image. After all, we know who is our friend, in what round can move. It is also important to us in this narrow circle of well-known, trusted us and supported us. What other people think - and maybe this is wrong - but we do not care anymore. It seems that we are in a time when it is necessary to have a hard and thick skin to make such things do not come over to you. In fact, it is not always easy when you read something like that.

At this point, the story is very much on the level of representation, but we can, if we look to the future, even anxious. Already because of what is happening in Jesenice ...

In the near future we may find ourselves in a crisis. I do not know what's going on in Jesenice, I did not even informed. What is happening is very sad. This is what the solutions are, or who will do plan to get the whole thing were restored, but the big question. First, of course, need to ask who is going to make a plan for the rehabilitation and then also where to get the necessary resources to do that. The second question is, how many players will ever wanted to go back to Jesenice. If we miss the moment for the further development of hockey in Jesenice, the offspring will not be as advanced as it should. When I was little, we all want to play for Jesenice. Now the boys play in order to come to a selection of youth, then have to decide how to proceed. Some choose to go to Ljubljana, second, if they are lucky and eager to train and have the potential to go abroad. However, the departures abroad less. Each club abroad will normally give preference to domestic players before any Slovenes. And I do not mean anything contempt. I also tasted all the pitfalls of playing abroad. If you are from Slovenia, nobody sees that we hockey country. I hope that with all these great performances on the international stage also changed. A shows that this is not enough and will need to do something. But first we have to sort out the problems at home. It will be necessary to create the conditions that will be jumped several clubs in the league EBEL. And not only Olimpija. One professional club is not enough if we want all the time to speak with one of the best teams.

Let's stick to go abroad in the lower sections with which you have mentioned. According to HZS's the right solution for continuity of departures of young players abroad, but at the aforementioned advantages of home-grown players are more aggravating circumstances associated with costs that arise here. Hockey just is not so cheap sport ...

Parents who themselves must invest in this sport without a doubt is not easy. Hockey equipment does not cost less than 2,000 euros, which is not a little. Especially in these times. It is much easier to buy for example, his basketball sneakers and high. To this must be deducted the maximum $ 200, but now compare the amount. Of course, in addition to the purchase of hockey equipment to be included in transport rods which, of course, expensive, and it is not surprising that many people decide that a child will prefer to draw in basketball or football

You are also well known that the company returning from the charity. How many years have you been involved in charity and how do you start?

I came up with the idea in Los Angeles. There I saw how the charity event. I said to myself that it would be a good idea to himself in Slovenia organized something. In Los Angeles, we are often involved charity through the club. Many times we visit children in hospital. The fact that a child with a visit polepšaš day or him draw a smile on the face is charity. This may be worth more than you give, for example a hundred dollars. The club is also organizing a campaign called Tip-A-King. Each signature player is worth one dollar, as well as photography. With this gather quite a few resources. Organized a charity golf tournament. And here, I myself got the idea to organize something myself. All funds collected by us through the club, then distributed to fund called the Kings Care

alpa

Yoda+Gandalf=Sutter
Dec 3, 2006
Sweden and Slovenia
Zadrživa = Endurance

In the playoffs you do not receive a lot of hits, but they also did not give much. =

In the playoffs you do not receive a lot of goals, but you also did not give up much against.

Slovenian Language is a *****, trust me I know.

Last edited:

JureEe

Go Kings Go!
Apr 5, 2012
sLOVEnija
skočiva = jump

in context: if we jump forward to ...

edit: btw: how did you find that article? googling every day about LA players? :D

edit 2:

interesting quotes:

If we jump forward in Los Angeles, according to the trade are somewhat lost. They left you reserve keeper Jonathan Bernier, defender Rob Scuderi and Dustin Penner attacker ...

It's part of the sport. We knew that we will sooner or later someone left while strengthening what a player. It is important that the core remains the same. Dustin (Brown, op. P.) Has extended a contract for eight years, Jonathan Quick tied to the club for another nine or even ten years. There is a Carter and Richards, who has also signed a long term contract ... to me the contract will expire in three years, but you want to extend. I must not forget either the defender Drew Doughty, who also has a six-year contract. The core remains, the remaining goods are part of the transaction. Without this, it is not. Of course, when any kind of hard to say goodbye to the player, but that's it.

Last edited:

MynameisKing

Sep 29, 2010
GB
Zadrživa = Endurance

In the playoffs you do not receive a lot of hits, but they also did not give much. =

In the playoffs you do not receive a lot of goals, but you also did not give up much against.

Slovenian Language is a *****, trust me I know.

I've read that Slavs from many regions can inter-communicate with each other. Some more than others and it is not geographically based but more so exposure based. For example a business traveler who is a Slovenian and travels to Russia for many years can understand Russian more so than he could Croatian or any of the neighboring regions of the area.

JureEe

Go Kings Go!
Apr 5, 2012
sLOVEnija
I've read that Slavs from many regions can inter-communicate with each other. Some more than others and it is not geographically based but more so exposure based. For example a business traveler who is a Slovenian and travels to Russia for many years can understand Russian more so than he could Croatian or any of the neighboring regions of the area.

well.. our language is very complex... we have many connections with other "slavs" nations... but Alpa meant more about our language.. we dont have just singular and plural but also "dvojina", which is used for number 2, many words with same meaning can be written on few more ways (with diffrent endings). i dont know how to explain it.. but its hard to translate anything from Slovenian language...

alpa

Yoda+Gandalf=Sutter
Dec 3, 2006
Sweden and Slovenia

You are partially right about the inter-communication, but geographic location is important, closer countries bigger similarities.

A big part of it is history as well. When Yugoslavia (communistic government) still existed it was demanded that the Serbian language was in school and almost everyone had to speak Serbian. If you were from Slovenia you were more or less guaranteed your military service outside Slovenia meaning you had to learn. My parents learned it both ways. Slovenian is more unique but Croatian and Serbian are so much more related to the other slavic languages.

But a Slovenian will nowadays always understand Croatians and Serbs easier than the Russian. But I'm not so sure about the younger generation.

MynameisKing

Sep 29, 2010
GB
You are partially right about the inter-communication, but geographic location is important, closer countries bigger similarities.

A big part of it is history as well. When Yugoslavia (communistic government) still existed it was demanded that the Serbian language was in school and almost everyone had to speak Serbian. If you were from Slovenia you were more or less guaranteed your military service outside Slovenia meaning you had to learn. My parents learned it both ways. Slovenian is more unique but Croatian and Serbian are so much more related to the other slavic languages.

But a Slovenian will nowadays always understand Croatians and Serbs easier than the Russian. But I'm not so sure about the younger generation.

Yeah, I heard the younger generation have a hard time with Croatian and Serbian.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad