Anze Kopitar buries his 400th career NHL goal

Vote4Lubo

Axl's other other account
Feb 28, 2016
Antarctica
I remember that draft and thinking who tf is this frenchie..little did I know he would change the history of the franchise. Best kings player to throw on the jersey. Congrats Kopi!

bmr

Jan 23, 2013
My goodness Kopi ages like fine wine. Already 7 goals this year. What a legend. Just two left from the big four. Gonna be a sad day when he hangs them up.
The comment last night from the broadcast team last night regarding things opening up for Kopi because of Kempe and Byfield’s speed is so true. Just a great, balanced line. Kopi is such a smart player and always knows where to be on the ice.

Also funny to hear how many people thought he was washed years ago.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
The best player in franchise history adds to his resume. Kopitar looks like he’s going to be the Bergeron type that just ages way better than most of his peers. It’s not flukey by any stretch, his play in all 3 zones continues to be stellar, there really hasn’t been much drop off from his peak.

I wonder if Kopi just works his ass off in the off-season, if he is just naturally like this or a combination of both.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
The comment last night from the broadcast team last night regarding things opening up for Kopi because of Kempe and Byfield’s speed is so true. Just a great, balanced line. Kopi is such a smart player and always knows where to be on the ice.

Also funny to hear how many people thought he was washed years ago.

You definitely don't see him lugging the puck all 200 feet frequently anymore and that's an important quality-of-life change for his late-career surge.

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
The best player in franchise history adds to his resume. Kopitar looks like he’s going to be the Bergeron type that just ages way better than most of his peers. It’s not flukey by any stretch, his play in all 3 zones continues to be stellar, there really hasn’t been much drop off from his peak.

I wonder if Kopi just works his ass off in the off-season, if he is just naturally like this or a combination of both.
I don't think Kopi is one of those fitness freaks. He was big and strong as a youngster, and he's still big and strong, but not nearly as fast. bmr's comment about Kopi being such a smart player is really key. It's his mental processing of the game that has kept him productive.

In this league you can let the game pass you by. Some guys don't change and eventually drop off production-wise. Take Jeff Carter for example. Great in his prime, but has experienced a slow decline in production over the past 6 years. Now pointless in 9 games.

Kopi and Bergeron play such smart games. That part doesn't decline with age. Kopitar's play without the puck is super good. The way he goes into the corners and comes out with a loose puck continues to shine. That's a lot about body positioning, not about speed and quickness. The way he receives passes and possesses the puck, the soft hands, continue to be superlative. You almost never see the puck explode off his stick. Even though the game has gotten faster, it hasn't left Kopitar behind. Kopitar just plays such a fundamentally sound game that he's effective even without the speed.

Who knows how long he can keep this up? We're just all here to enjoy it while it lasts.

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
As usual we wait for the playoffs.

I can already hear the crying when other teams mop the floor with our legend
We should try it your way, banish Kopitar and Doughty to the press box, resulting in us NOT making the playoffs....and then we don't have to worry about these overpaid veterans not performing in the postseason!

Kurrilino

Go Stoll Go
Aug 6, 2005
Calgary
We should try it your way, banish Kopitar and Doughty to the press box, resulting in us NOT making the playoffs....and then we don't have to worry about these overpaid veterans not performing in the postseason!
While i support that, i am convinced that dressing the hotdog salesman from section 318 will result in us making the playoff.

Vamos Rafa

Jan 11, 2010
Armenia, California
Taylor and Brown are the only two Kings to have spent their entire career in LA with at least 15 seasons. I was too young to remember Taylor as a player so Brownie was my first long-time King to never wear another uniform since I started following the team. Hopefully Kopi is next.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00