Anyone Train BJJ?

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Unfortunately no and it's something I regret.

I had a couple of opportunities to really get into it as a friend at the time was a black belt who ran classes, but I had bad timing with other sports injuries and never took the chance.

Reactions: Taytro and CDJ

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Just curious if there is anyone else in here who trains

I'm a 47 year old brown belt hobbiest (haven't competed since blue belt) but am getting the itch to compete again.
Sound like my friend down to the exact age and belt to getting the itch to compete again lol

He wants me to come with him if he does it. I was thinking about doing it- my only hesitation is that I have pretty severe nerve damage from transverse myelitis and a jacked up shoulder from pitching. Might do Muay Thai instead, wouldn’t be competing though. No athleticism anymore lol

Feel like I’d be a lot better at BJJ though. I would expect to be humbled very quickly at the start

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Sound like my friend down to the exact age and belt to getting the itch to compete again lol

He wants me to come with him if he does it. I was thinking about doing it- my only hesitation is that I have pretty severe nerve damage from transverse myelitis and a jacked up shoulder from pitching. Might do Muay Thai instead, wouldn’t be competing though. No athleticism anymore lol

Feel like I’d be a lot better at BJJ though. I would expect to be humbled very quickly at the start
Being humbled at the start is the special sauce for jiu jitsu, and why it's great.

It happens to everyone, so the people who can't stand losing to smaller, older or weaker people have to either get over it or they quit. That's the major reason why most people who train have no ego.

First time I rolled mith my prof (270lb world master absolute black belt champ), I felt like a child. I remember thinking "no human being should be able to dominate someone like that". I was hooked

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
Unfortunately no and it's something I regret.

I had a couple of opportunities to really get into it as a friend at the time was a black belt who ran classes, but I had bad timing with other sports injuries and never took the chance.
Went to 1 solo class with my bad knee from football and the instructor told me if I wasn't comfortable then it might not be for me. Still regret it but I don't like losing and I feel like you need to be on the losing side a lot in BJJ in order to learn and develop. Huge respect to all the guys who have the heart for it.

16Skippy

Sep 12, 2009

I'm a 47 year old brown belt hobbiest (haven't competed since blue belt) but am getting the itch to compete again.
I used to train at an MMA gym quite a bit, trying to get back into it recently. I don't think I can commit to competing myself anytime soon but I'm planning on helping (getting my ass kicked lol) with their upcoming training camps.

If your friend can vouch their gym is relatively safe and free of meat heads it doesn't hurt to try. Just let the instructor know about your injuries. And don't be afraid to tap lol

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I used to train at an MMA gym quite a bit, trying to get back into it recently. I don't think I can commit to competing myself anytime soon but I'm planning on helping (getting my ass kicked lol) with their upcoming training camps.

If your friend can vouch their gym is relatively safe and free of meat heads it doesn't hurt to try. Just let the instructor know about your injuries. And don't be afraid to tap lol
Fastest tap this side of the Mississippi, literally impossible for Keith Peterson to be too early on it

Lord Helix

Nov 12, 2010
Trash white belt here. Competed last year and am scheduled to again in a few months.

My only "advice" is that the quicker you get used to being put in bad positions and getting out of them, the better.

Reactions: CDJ and 16Skippy

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL

I am actually really wanting to get into it, but every place I contact gives me cryptic info like it's Amway or something (the, "come here and everything will be explained" weirdness). I've hit up about 3-5 places in my area and I got no idea about much of anything, including the time and costs so I am still lost lol.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
I am actually really wanting to get into it, but every place I contact gives me cryptic info like it's Amway or something (the, "come here and everything will be explained" weirdness). I've hit up about 3-5 places in my area and I got no idea about much of anything, including the time and costs so I am still lost lol.
Yeah, that's not uncommon. The place I train at (I'm pretty tight with rhe owner) stopped doing that kind of stuff... they even got away from offering free trial classes. They're upfront about the schedule and fees (highest in the area)

It can be very intimidating walking into a BJJ gym for the first time. If you can, ask around to see what kind of place fits you best. I'm a 47 year old hobbyist, so it wouldn't make sense for me to train with 23 year old juice monkeys at the place that specializes in MMA. Each gym has its own vibe and it's actually a really good idea to visit a few and talk to the owner/head instructor. You'll know which one is the best fit

Reactions: S E P H and m9

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad