Referees: Anyone officiated NCAA hockey?

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
So, as many of you might know, Arizona State University is converting their hockey program into an NCAA program (from ACHA). And if you didn't know, now you do. I'm an official in the Tempe area and have been for quite some years now, so there's a good chance I might get assigned to some of the ASU games this year or next. I've done youth through adult league and some ACHA games when ASU was a club team, but never NCAA. I don't know if I need a separate certification for it (probably) than just being registered with USA Hockey.

Has anyone ever officiated NCAA before? What should I expect? If I get ASU games would the NCAA ask me to travel for other games as well perhaps?

The final question in my mind is probably nothing anyone here could answer though, and that is how they'd handle me being a transgender girl, whether I'd get men's games or women's games, or both. Or just not assign me at all.

May 9, 2010
Weymouth
Highly doubt they just get any ref for NCAA games. The conference that ASU will fall into will decide the officials (2016-2017). However, ASU will play an independent schedule to start and will face some non-NCAA teams, so maybe there is a chance there. Keep in mind the level of play for D1 hockey in the NCAA. For those games this season, I'm sure ASU will have established refs from the minor leagues located in the Southwest US.

Except for the conference assignment part (which wouldn't apply this year), the above is largely my opinion. Check out this thread on USCHO, maybe you can get an answer from him:

http://board.uscho.com/showthread.php?113161-I-m-a-D1-Referee-Ask-me-Anything

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
So, as many of you might know, Arizona State University is converting their hockey program into an NCAA program (from ACHA). And if you didn't know, now you do. I'm an official in the Tempe area and have been for quite some years now, so there's a good chance I might get assigned to some of the ASU games this year or next. I've done youth through adult league and some ACHA games when ASU was a club team, but never NCAA. I don't know if I need a separate certification for it (probably) than just being registered with USA Hockey.

Has anyone ever officiated NCAA before? What should I expect? If I get ASU games would the NCAA ask me to travel for other games as well perhaps?

The final question in my mind is probably nothing anyone here could answer though, and that is how they'd handle me being a transgender girl, whether I'd get men's games or women's games, or both. Or just not assign me at all.

Aren't you apart of some sort of Referee association in your area? Why wouldn't you just ask them? And if your not in an association then no your not going to be doing any NCAA games.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
Aren't you apart of some sort of Referee association in your area? Why wouldn't you just ask them? And if your not in an association then no your not going to be doing any NCAA games.

It's a statewide association for the state of Arizona. That's a good point, I work with one of the association officers on Sunday so I can harass him about it there. Thanks for the idea! :)

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014

Not true, NCAA hires their own referees, you don't need to be apart of any association etc.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Not true, NCAA hires their own referees, you don't need to be apart of any association etc.

I guess true, but I can't imagine a "free agent" referee having much high level expirence as those games to to associations.

NCAA has tryouts anyway, so she would have to attend those if she wants to be considered for getting an NCAA game during the season.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
Well I did get a chance to talk to one of the association officers. He told me that the guys who will get their shot at doing any of the NCAA games that ASU hosts for this season have already been contacted, and if they haven't emailed me (they haven't) then I won't be doing any NCAA games this year. ASU is getting a women's ACHA team starting next season and there's still a men's D2 ACHA team, so I was told that if I want to get my foot in the door for doing a lot of college games, the women's ACHA team is where I should start, mostly related to the gender issues.

I kind of feel like a trailblazer as a transgender ref. No one I've asked has any solid advice for me, just all kind of conflicting suggestions :laugh: At least I think it's more amusing than traumatizing.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
I guess true, but I can't imagine a "free agent" referee having much high level expirence as those games to to associations.

NCAA has tryouts anyway, so she would have to attend those if she wants to be considered for getting an NCAA game during the season.

Agreed to a point...your starting base would be get involved young...grow up through the association, get noticed, do bigger tournaments etc,

But for everything above Midget's.....it's a league by league staff, for juniors all you have to do is be part of USA hockey etc, but for NCAA, ECHL, CHL, etc, it's all league hiring.

But agreed, you don't get to that point, without starting in the association.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $8,351.00