anyone notice the trend when comes to hype and the #1 pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
louieleftwing said:
This isn't even said all the time. It wasn't said about Fluery and Staal or Boumeester and Nash. It is reserved for the special ones.

Crosby is as special since Lindros, maybe lemieux.
Ovechkin was that special last year. Crosby jumped Ovechkin.

I don't remember hearing quite so much in this regard about Kovalchuk, but he was also special.

I don't know much about Lecavalier except for the Michael Jordan comment.

Regardless, you won't hear such comments for awhile now.

We are already seeing such comments. There are Kessel=American Crosby comments that have creeped up. Jay Bouwmeester was compared to Bobby Orr and has been hyped two years before his actual draft. Jason Spezza was nicknamed "Spetzky". Guess why? :)

It happens almost every odd year. And it's most probably going to happen again very soon.

HF is like a warp zone where time goes by differently. That's why we have a once-a-decade player every two years on average ;)

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
Vlad The Impaler said:
We are already seeing such comments. There are Kessel=American Crosby comments that have creeped up. Jay Bouwmeester was compared to Bobby Orr and has been hyped two years before his actual draft. Jason Spezza was nicknamed "Spetzky". Guess why? :)

It happens almost every odd year. And it's most probably going to happen again very soon.

HF is like a warp zone where time goes by differently. That's why we have a once-a-decade player every two years on average ;)

To be fair it's not just HF. Publications like Hockey News and the TV hockey media have been just as responsible for this sort of thing.

Wisent

Nov 15, 2003
Mannheim
Visit site
HockeyMan9 said:
Mabey this is because the #1 overall picks have been getting better and better over the last few years, Ovechkin has been called better than Kovalchuk and people are convince that Crosby will be better than Ovechkin, so it is possible that each one was the best prospect since Lindros at the time they were draft, just the guy the next year happend to be better.
Looking at the first picks since Lindros I don't think that this is the case.

Wisent

Nov 15, 2003
Mannheim
Visit site
DRL said:
it seems every year now that analysts are saying so n so is the best prospect to come along since eric lindros etc. etc. we hear this with crosby, we heard this ovechkin, kovalchuk, lecavalier etc.

its starting to sound like wrestling, every wrestlemania they say is the best one ever ;)
Not surprised. Hype is good for hockey as well as every other sport. Drawback is I just don't believe it anymore (can be an advantage as well).

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
HockeyMan9 said:
Mabey this is because the #1 overall picks have been getting better and better over the last few years, Ovechkin has been called better than Kovalchuk and people are convince that Crosby will be better than Ovechkin, so it is possible that each one was the best prospect since Lindros at the time they were draft, just the guy the next year happend to be better.

I agree :handclap:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad