anyone notice the trend when comes to hype and the #1 pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

DRL

Mar 2, 2003
Brampton, Ontario
it seems every year now that analysts are saying so n so is the best prospect to come along since eric lindros etc. etc. we hear this with crosby, we heard this ovechkin, kovalchuk, lecavalier etc.

its starting to sound like wrestling, every wrestlemania they say is the best one ever ;)

Blades 0f Steel

Jun 23, 2002
DRL said:
it seems every year now that analysts are saying so n so is the best prospect to come along since eric lindros etc. etc. we hear this with crosby, we heard this ovechkin, kovalchuk, lecavalier etc.

its starting to sound like wrestling, every wrestlemania they say is the best one ever ;)

Maybe because they're all really, really, really good?

AnThGrt

Feb 13, 2005
Park City, UT
I cant agree more wtf happened last year Ovekchin was hailed as the next thing and was supposively better then Crosby now this year no one has Ovekchin before Crosby and next year same thing will prob be with Frolik then Taveres Esposito etc.... It will always go on like this

PHILLY FLU

Jul 19, 2005
That is part of the marketing machine. That said, guys like Lindros, Thorton, Lecavalier etc have all been/are pretty amazing players. Then there were guys like Daigle.....

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
PHILLY FLU said:
That is part of the marketing machine. That said, guys like Lindros, Thorton, Lecavalier etc have all been/are pretty amazing players. Then there were guys like Daigle.....
Lecavalier has not lived up to the hype.

HockeyMan9

Jul 1, 2002
Columbus, OH
Visit site
Mabey this is because the #1 overall picks have been getting better and better over the last few years, Ovechkin has been called better than Kovalchuk and people are convince that Crosby will be better than Ovechkin, so it is possible that each one was the best prospect since Lindros at the time they were draft, just the guy the next year happend to be better.

bcrt2000

Feb 17, 2005
Gretzky, Lemieux, Lindros, Daigle & Crosby were the really hyped up ones.. I think Daigle was erroneously overhyped because people saw how good Lindros was and were hoping the same for him

DRL

Mar 2, 2003
Brampton, Ontario
HockeyMan9 said:
Mabey this is because the #1 overall picks have been getting better and better over the last few years, Ovechkin has been called better than Kovalchuk and people are convince that Crosby will be better than Ovechkin, so it is possible that each one was the best prospect since Lindros at the time they were draft, just the guy the next year happend to be better.

i just wish they would say the best since kovalchuk, or lecavlier etc. instead of going back to lindros, cuz like u said these players have been hyped and have so far lived up to it.

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
AnThGrt said:
I cant agree more wtf happened last year Ovekchin was hailed as the next thing and was supposively better then Crosby now this year no one has Ovekchin before Crosby and next year same thing will prob be with Frolik then Taveres Esposito etc.... It will always go on like this

Hmmm, so in a few years, we should get one who can leap tall goalies in a single bound, and move the puck with the power or his mind? :eek:

salzy

Mar 3, 2005
Windsor
DRL said:
i just wish they would say the best since kovalchuk, or lecavlier etc. instead of going back to lindros, cuz like u said these players have been hyped and have so far lived up to it.

Ummm... no they haven't! None of the guys drafted since have been as good as Lindros was! Kovalchuk might be on his way to being as good offensively, but he'll never be the all around dominant force that Lindros was in the mid-late 90's. The rest aren't even close. Crosby or Ovechkin might get there some day (although without the physical presence), but until then, Eric will continue to be the measuring stick.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
Fish on The Sand said:
Lecavalier has not lived up to the hype.

I agree. He certainly hasn't lived up to my expectations either.

It's not that Lecavalier isn't a good player as is. Heck, I think he's very, very good.

But he could have been SO much more, IMO. But I like what Tortorella is doing with him. And there are times when he definitly shows he is a special player. Maybe he'll put it together late.

Tampa's organisation is handling things pretty well right now.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
bcrt2000 said:
Gretzky, Lemieux, Lindros, Daigle & Crosby were the really hyped up ones.. I think Daigle was erroneously overhyped because people saw how good Lindros was and were hoping the same for him

Daigle wasn't really that hyped, he was considered a great prospect but most put him in the category he could be another Pierre Turgeon.

As for hype, watching the draft since like 89, Lindros takes the cake on pre draft hype(even worse then crosby). Personally i hate when a few commentators say Crosby is the most hyped kid since Lemieux(i am like do you forget Lindros).

Coffee and 7's*

he he, its like shoping with a girl who says at ever thing she sees in the window "oh this is my favorite bla bla" :biglaugh:

damoose212001

Jan 16, 2005
Pittsburgh
I don't think ANYBODY has been said to be the next Gretzky/Lemieux though. I don't believe they said that about anybody. They say others are great at what they do though. Ex. Rick Nash, will be the best two-way player in the game in a very long time, not the best scoring touch, not the best defensive game, but pretty great none the less. Well Mario and Gretzky are pure offensive guys, which are very rare, and they think Crosby is one of few who have that potential.

AnThGrt

Feb 13, 2005
Park City, UT
octopi said:
Hmmm, so in a few years, we should get one who can leap tall goalies in a single bound, and move the puck with the power or his mind? :eek:
With the increased hype every year and every year the player being better then the last ya they wont even need to be on ice will stay at home and use telekineses

Form and Substance

Jun 11, 2004
turnbuckle said:
No kidding -A Stanley Cup? File that under the "Duh file". I think he'll take a Stanley Cup over not meeting the expectations of Vlad the Impostor. "Put it together late"? "He could have been so much more"? Yeah - He sure is old and washed up, good thing he got that Cup before arthritis sets in.

Well if you remembered what the Tampa owner said about Vinny: "he's to hockey what Micheal Jordan was to basketball" then you'd be an idiot to think that Lecavalier has lived up to his billing. There's good reason to believe he'll be one of the best very soon (sure has all the tools) but so far, there's not THAT much to write home. A couple of very good seasons, a great sophomore year, a decent rookie year and a couple of mediocre ones does not a Lindros successor make.

Naych_PHX

Feeling Salty
Jun 14, 2004
phoenix
Tampa's owner said that about Lecavalier? Maybe hes right... heck, if my teams GMs went out and just tagged players to be better than they are, id be mad too. But I dont ever believe hype before theyre in the NHL, thats just wrong. Psshh..Tampa's guy said Vincent was like MJ, Uh Oh... lets call this apple and orange and expect it to taste an orange.

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
AnThGrt said:
With the increased hype every year and every year the player being better then the last ya they wont even need to be on ice will stay at home and use telekineses

Hmmm, sounds like another rule change coming soon to 'benefit' the NHL....

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
turnbuckle said:
No kidding -A Stanley Cup? File that under the "Duh file". I think he'll take a Stanley Cup over not meeting the expectations of Vlad the Impostor. "Put it together late"? "He could have been so much more"? Yeah - He sure is old and washed up, good thing he got that Cup before arthritis sets in.

The Stanley Cup is a team effort. Of which he was part of. I think he was very dominant there.

Lecavalier still has room for improvement. He is a big player with unreal skills and mobility.

NOBODY said he shouldn't be proud of the SC. This is just you trying to stir crap.

NOBODY said he was old and washed up. This is just you... again, trying to stir crap.

He has been at odds with Tortorella numerous times and for good reason. Torts isn't doing that just for fun, you know. He's shaping up Lecavalier to get the best out of him. As far as my expectations, I think he can do more. Tortorella *wouldn't* act the way he has with Lecavalier if he didn't think the guy can offer more and be consistent. No coach will do that to a good player for no reason. How you can even argue that is beyond me.

louieleftwing

Mar 16, 2005
This isn't even said all the time. It wasn't said about Fluery and Staal or Boumeester and Nash. It is reserved for the special ones.

Crosby is as special since Lindros, maybe lemieux.
Ovechkin was that special last year. Crosby jumped Ovechkin.

I don't remember hearing quite so much in this regard about Kovalchuk, but he was also special.

I don't know much about Lecavalier except for the Michael Jordan comment.

Regardless, you won't hear such comments for awhile now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad