Anyone miss Jacques Martin?

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
It seem that since him we've been looking for a stable coach. Hes the all time leader in wins for a senators coach and despite his failure in the playoffs we had alot of regular season success.

Legend Killer

Nov 15, 2007
I miss alot of things about him and the way he coached... The team always played great defensively...

Spez

Feb 14, 2013
He failed when it mattered the most. He was just on a long list of people who failed to bring a cup to Ottawa during the years they were legit contenders. He's not even a great coach anymore. If he was so great then he wouldn't have lost his job in Montreal. The players quit on him after two seasons and the players here would quit on him after not even 1 season.

Spez

Feb 14, 2013
His style was to be Quinn's ***** in the playoffs. If HFboards was around back then Martin would have been destroyed worse than Mac was for all the playoff failures the franchise had in the contending years. Can you just imagine how bad he would have had it during the 3 straight years the franchise lost in the 1st round with two of them being sweeps including one very embarassing one to the leafs.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Yes. People blame him for us being soft but doesnt the gm acquire the players? I remember prospal leading our team in pims one year sowe finally got Andre Roy.

I wonder how our team would have faired with Jacques martin if our gm added a few more rugged players to the core.

Edit: that being said, I don't want him back or anything. I just miss the idea of a coach who keeps structure and things consistent. When lines show chemistry he keeps them together all year and doesn't change them the first bad period they have. I miss a coach that made sure every player could play 200ft. Stache keeps saying it yet never enforces it.

rbkhockey29

May 3, 2007
Maryland
Great defensive coach during the pre rule change era. When the league got rid of all the clutching and grabbing is probably when he couldn't land a coaching job. Lets not forget the Sens played the trap back then aswell so the defense wasn't getting pounded into the end glass all game long. This is when Redden was at his best IMO

Alfie#11

May 7, 2003
Visit site
I hated his system.

That said, soft and cheap defensive players may be the way to go on a welfare budget. Martin may be a good fit again. Can't say I will enjoy getting bullied out of the playoffs in round 1 though.

Jan 19, 2006
Calgary
Say what you want about him, but his 1-1-3 trap suited the team we had (3 elite RW'ers) perfectly.

There's a reason we were near or at the top of the league in goals for, for so many years, and it's wasn't Radek Bonk. I never understood why the rest of the league kept going with the more popular 1-2-2, when the Senators showed how effective the 1-1-3 was at creating offense on the counterattack.

Slow Hands

The feels
Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa
Man I don't miss him but I'll always remember watching a game when he was coach and being comforted by the fact that when leading after 2 periods, the Sens were something ridiculous like 36-1-2 or something

John Holmes*

If he ever had a real goaltender we would have won the Cup.

Alfie#11

May 7, 2003
Visit site
The serious caveat here is that Martin got the benefit of some seriously talented rosters from the late 90s on. Rosters you couldn't maintain today with the lowered UFA age.

But I agree with John, goaltending was the number one weakness.

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
Yeah, I do miss him. Put all the playoff stuff aside (Martin has won more playoff rounds here than MacLean, by the way), his team knew where to position itself and was always near the top in goals for and goals against. You can say whatever you want about the Leafs series, but that was on the GM and players too.

We could really, really use a Martin on our team right now. Our defensive structure is horribad.

MtRundle

We once were warriors.
Apr 29, 2013
Toronto
He helped us overachieve when we weren't that good and made us underachieve when we were really good.

Typical Martin game.

Go up 2-0

In the third period go into a 2-3-0 forcheck.

Allow opposition to breakout unimpeded

Lose 3-2.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
trappity trap trap trapitty trap trap

Funny though, I remember enjoying watching Sens hockey a heck of a lot during his tenure here despite the playoff losses. Put a goalie who doesn't choke on his roster and we may see at least one Stanley Cup banner up in the rafters.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad