Anyone here watches Hockeycentral at Noon?

Eagle Eye Cherry

guitar player
Feb 19, 2006
Montreal
to get their hockey news and information?

hockeycentral_updated_pic_final_new.jpg

Well?

Dontdive

Aug 25, 2012
British Columbia
I do, but I'm not sure why you made the thread asking the question. Was there a particular comment/concern you wanted to make regarding the show, or the people on it?

Eagle Eye Cherry

guitar player
Feb 19, 2006
Montreal
I do, but I'm not sure why you made the thread asking the question. Was there a particular comment/concern you wanted to make regarding the show, or the people on it?

I just want to know what people's opinions are of the show or if anyone actually watches it. It seems to me most people on HFboards don't like the Sportsnet hockey panelists.

RedHot

Fire Dave Cameron (Fired)**
Aug 6, 2014
Calgary
I find Millard's opinions really stupid most of the time. He can run the show, but let the others talk about hockey

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Leafs Lunch first and then podcast of Hockey Central.

Marek is faaaaaaaaar better on Marek vs Wyshinski thenhe is on Hockey Central when he fills in as host.

CaptainKishimoto

=-{Astral Finish}-=
Jul 28, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
It's one of (if not the only one of) Sportsnet's bearable programs. Of course you'll have the Kypreos yelling/Maclean talking over people, but they do talk about 'current' events and occassionally have breaking news.

ZeroPT*

Leafs Lunch first and then podcast of Hockey Central.

Marek is faaaaaaaaar better on Marek vs Wyshinski thenhe is on Hockey Central when he fills in as host.

Marek vs Wyshinski is the best.

As much as people like to crap on him I like listening to the HockeyBuzz cast. It's fun to listen to and the people aren't insufferable.

MovesLikeJagr68

Mar 26, 2012
I've really been trying to... but I just can't get into it.

Can't stand MacLean and Kyper. For some reason Millard really bugs me too. The only SportsNet stuff I really like is Tim&Sid and Ken Reid on Prime Time (he's really grown on me, knows his sports).

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
Millard and John Shannon are the only ones that I really enjoy. It's hit or miss with me at times. Considering the lack of hockey type podcasts though, it's better than nothing.

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
I'll tune in once and a while. Pretty much the last ten minutes though. By then they're done talking about the Leafs and the Eastern Conference.

Wolf357

Jul 16, 2011
<-- Leafs Lunch on TSN1050

Funny cause Hockey Central@Noon is pretty much The Leafs Hour...the majority of topics are leafs if they are playing or not...then a little bit of Canadiens...and then last few minuets thrown a Western Canadian team in there...
Still watch it...or have it on in the background as I make lunch.....

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
I still refuse to even sign up for sportsnet on my cable package.

Dontdive

Aug 25, 2012
British Columbia
I just want to know what people's opinions are of the show or if anyone actually watches it. It seems to me most people on HFboards don't like the Sportsnet hockey panelists.

Mallard the host is unnecessarily confrontational ("Well, you don't have to get pissy about it") and should keep his hockey opinions to himself (he's no analyst). I find him unnecessary in general.

Kypreos is not particularly eloquent (concussion issues from his playing days I guess) and has a chip on his shoulder for having to be a second-fiddle analyst to those on CBC and TSN for so long. I do like his willingness to take the "tough guy" point of view and be politically incorrect about that at times, compared to most analysts.

MacLean is fine when he sticks to just hockey analysis (I'm not saying I always agree with him), but is socially tone-deaf and so often just says mean or cruel things unnecessarily. He's also a very poor listener so often just totally ignores what others say and tries to talk over them.

The others who occasionally appear are usually just boring/average, with the exception of Elliotte Friedman (he's excellent as most know), Glenn Healy (he can be mean but also funny too), and John Shannon (smart and good at giving the "suits" side of things). I don't think Stephen Brunt ever shows up there, but I wish he would.

The show in general does too much rah-rahing interviews with players/coaches who are doing well (those are just boring) and too much coverage of the Leafs (and I'm a Leafs fan).

And as a "partner" of the NHL, that whole network is now too positive towards the NHL, only Bob on Prime Time Sports is relatively immune to that.

A decent show overall, but usually not particularly compelling. If they were more willing to be critical of the NHL it would help a lot.

TofoEmptyNt

Nov 10, 2013
Ontario
You mean LeafsCentral at Noon? No, I'd rather ask that crazy homeless guy on the corner for his thoughts on the NHL. No that much different than Kypreos and MacLean but he can talk about teams other than Leafs.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I use twitter to get hockey news the fastest. It's the only reason I signed up for twitter. As for the show, there was a time when I watched it every Tuesday, due to the way my class schedule was configured (I happened to be home on Tuesdays during the day). It's definitely watchable. I prefer it over darts.

Compared to other things that are on at the same time on TV, it was definitely the one I wanted to watch the most. However, I wouldn't plan my day around watching it.

LGB51

2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPION ST. LOUIS BLUES!
Oct 9, 2013
Arcola, IL
I work nights so if I'm up at noon I always watch. I'm not a Leafs fan so that does suck, but at least it's live original NHL programming. Here in the U.S. especially Central Illinois, that's not easy to come by.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad