Anyone have any opinions or interest in David Carle as the next head coach?

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
For all his warts, Lalonde is not even remotely close to the problem with this team. We’ve yet to assemble a bonafide playoff level roster. This season was nice but the team overachieved if anything. I’m not ready to pull the plug until I see him get a chance to coach and actual good team with enough talent to play his system properly. So far he’s had to ride Larkin and Seider into the the ground because he have no other top 6 centers or top pair D. Get a legit 2C and a competent 2nd defense pair so Seider doesn’t have to face the hardest QoC by a large margin in the NHL and then judge Lalonde. I think he’ll actually do really well once we have a properly constructed team.

100%. Yzerman stuck by Cooper after the Blue Jackets sweep. No chance is Lalonde at risk after his second season where we improved by eleven points.

FWIW I have a lot of respect for David Carle, I just don't see us in the market for a coach for quite a while.

HoweFan

Jan 10, 2017
No. Good lord. You just saw Philly selfdestruct even worse than Detroit did. Why do you want him?
Haha. Sorry I was being sarcastic. I hate that man with every fibre of my being. He’s a great match in Philly. They deserve each other. I read another post mentioning him as a possibility. I’m happy with who we have

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
I don’t think the Detroit Red Wings are in the market for a head coach.
Every NHL team is in the market for a coach. No other North American sports league is as casual with coach firings. Weren't there like seven coaches fired this season?

Even accomplished coaches get fired frequently in the NHL.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Every NHL team is in the market for a coach. No other North American sports league is as casual with coach firings. Weren't there like seven coaches fired this season?

there's only 5 coaches in the entire league right now that have been in their positions for 3 years or longer

there's only 8 coaches in the entire league right now that have been in their positions for 2 years or longer

Axel Sandy Pelikan

Jonatan Berggren is our Lord and Savior,
May 11, 2023

I mean, that should tell you something. Namely, NHL front offices don’t know what the f*** they’re doing.

They get gung-ho and fire a guy and then hire a retread who wore out his welcome somewhere else and then when that retread predictably is not great, they fire him and start the cycle over again and again.

Torts should have been out of the league a decade ago. Paul Maurice is still kicking around somewhere I’m sure. Mike Babcock has shown over and again that he doesn’t belong anywhere near an NHL head coaches room, and I’m sure some team is seriously considering bringing him in.

Coaches quite literally do not matter the way so many think they do unless they are truly terrible and lose the room. Lose the room and you’re a detriment. Teams aren’t successful because they have some great man behind the bench. Like the Wings in the late 90s simply had more f***in firepower offensively and defensively than 99% of teams in league history. That’s why they were good. Bowman’s mastery was being able to keep all of those players with huge egos in check because he was the leader with the cache and he got Yzerman, the player leader with the cache to join him.

It’s why Dave Lewis was garbage. They knew they could roll him over.

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
For all his warts, Lalonde is not even remotely close to the problem with this team. We’ve yet to assemble a bonafide playoff level roster. This season was nice but the team overachieved if anything. I’m not ready to pull the plug until I see him get a chance to coach and actual good team with enough talent to play his system properly. So far he’s had to ride Larkin and Seider into the the ground because he have no other top 6 centers or top pair D. Get a legit 2C and a competent 2nd defense pair so Seider doesn’t have to face the hardest QoC by a large margin in the NHL and then judge Lalonde. I think he’ll actually do really well once we have a properly constructed team.
My beef with Lalonde...What's his system? Does anyone really know? And why the horrific slumps and late starts?

Reactions: Nut Upstrom and GMR

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
I absolutely love Carle, but no, I don't want him as the next Wings coach. I do think the NCAA game will become more of a pipeline for NHL coaches, but you do need professional coaching experience to be a viable HC candidate.

The only way that Lalonde gets fired tomorrow is if Cooper somehow becomes available. Yzerman's express goal coming into the season was to play meaningful games in April, which we did. He isn't going to fire Lalonde for doing what he asked him to.

The best way to attract good employees is to treat your current employees well.

Reactions: OldnotDeadWings

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada

Detroit has a head coach therefore Detroit is not in the market for head coach.

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
Detroit has a head coach therefore Detroit is not in the market for head coach.
Doesn’t work that way. Technically every team has a coach before they decide to upgrade.

Wayne Fontes always said there are only two kinds of coaches. Those that are fired and those that will soon be fired.

• Haha
Reactions: FMichael

heyfolks

Apr 30, 2007
Lalonde isn't going anywhere. The team improved in all areas. The development of Mo and Luc alone wold keep him around, but more wins, more points, improved critical stats.

HoweFan

Jan 10, 2017
Why would we get rid of Lalonde if we gave Blashill as much time as we did. I’m good with Lalonde. Those two losing streaks are on the players not him. We had enough vets to provide leadership but it didn’t happen

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Why would we get rid of Lalonde if we gave Blashill as much time as we did. I’m good with Lalonde. Those two losing streaks are on the players not him. We had enough vets to provide leadership but it didn’t happen

Because he's in charge of the line combinations? He's the one that decided to play Czarnik as well.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
I mean, that should tell you something. Namely, NHL front offices don’t know what the f*** they’re doing.

They get gung-ho and fire a guy and then hire a retread who wore out his welcome somewhere else and then when that retread predictably is not great, they fire him and start the cycle over again and again.

Torts should have been out of the league a decade ago. Paul Maurice is still kicking around somewhere I’m sure. Mike Babcock has shown over and again that he doesn’t belong anywhere near an NHL head coaches room, and I’m sure some team is seriously considering bringing him in.

Coaches quite literally do not matter the way so many think they do unless they are truly terrible and lose the room. Lose the room and you’re a detriment. Teams aren’t successful because they have some great man behind the bench. Like the Wings in the late 90s simply had more f***in firepower offensively and defensively than 99% of teams in league history. That’s why they were good. Bowman’s mastery was being able to keep all of those players with huge egos in check because he was the leader with the cache and he got Yzerman, the player leader with the cache to join him.

It’s why Dave Lewis was garbage. They knew they could roll him over.

he's done a pretty good job in Florida so far the couple years he's been there

Reactions: norrisnick

Coach Reggie Dunlop

Jun 9, 2021
Michigan
I don’t know how anyone can look at how bad we were at 5v5 this year and say we should keep lalonde. The metrics we had at 5v5 were horrible and propped up by an unsustainable shooting percentage. It’s likely we regress next year, could even seeing it by 10 points with some of the players we will lose. Then everybody will be calling for lalondes head when the writing on the wall was apparent the year before. Get ahead of the curve and do what obviously needs to be done, the teams system is just inexplicable sometimes and lacks complete cohesion. If you’re only looking at points and think lalonde should stay you’re missing the picture.

Lalonde isn't going anywhere. The team improved in all areas. The development of Mo and Luc alone wold keep him around, but more wins, more points, improved critical stats.
Seider has regressed under lalonde.

FissionFire

Dec 22, 2006
Las Vegas, NV
www.redwingscentral.com
My beef with Lalonde...What's his system? Does anyone really know? And why the horrific slumps and late starts?
When you have a roster full of non-impact players outside of Larkin (and Raymond later in the season) you will be prone to very hot and very cold stretches.

The Lions had no system under Dan Campbell until they finally had a roster capable of playing the way he wanted his team to play. Crazy how having the right players can totally change everything. Wings are still trying to get those players.

FissionFire

Dec 22, 2006
Las Vegas, NV
www.redwingscentral.com
Seider has regressed under lalonde.
I disagree. Seider is playing the hardest minutes in the entire NHL based by a large margin based off QoC, and doing pretty well at it. It’s no surprise he’s not going to have the same offensive pop as before when he’s having to play the role of a #1 and #2 at the same time. The fact that he isn’t getting caved like many supposed “top pair” guys on mediocre teams (looking at you Guhle, Chabot, etc) is a testament to how great he is actually playing. If Edvinsson matures into a strong #1B/2 I think you will see Seider make a huge jump statistically as he won’t have to take all every tough assignment and can start to split them. Trust the process.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad