Anyone have any opinions or interest in David Carle as the next head coach?

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
I have truly mixed feelings about Derek Lalonde. I think poor injury luck with Larkin and poor goaltending in general is the primary reason we didn't make the playoffs. But I also don't see anything that makes me feel Lalonde is the long-term answer. He's a good coach, but we will never have the talent that teams which routinely win the lottery have - teams like Edmonton, New Jersey, Chicago, etc.

So I am interested in seeing what David Carle can do at the NHL level. If you are not familiar with him, he's the head coach for the University of Denver. He has beaten two absurdly talented teams over the past three seasons to win two national championships.

The first team he beat was the UofM '22 team that was stacked with absurd amounts of talent: Matty Beniers, Owen Power, Luke Hughes, and about 4 other quality college forwards (Kent Johnson, Thomas Bordeleau, Mackie Samoskevich, Brendan Brisson). Denver beat Michigan in the Frozen Four on their way to winning the championship.

Then this past season Denver knocked off Boston College in the championship game. BC is one of the most talented college teams every assembled with NHL talent throughout the lineup: Will Smith, Ryan Leonard, Cutter Gauthier, Gabe Perrault, plus a handful of d-men who have been drafted in the middle rounds of the NHL draft.

Carle has talent, Zeev Buium is going to be a first round draft pick, but he has proven capable of beating more talented teams. And that's the sort of guy Detroit needs given how badly we've been screwed by the NHL draft. We need a guy who can win with a less talented roster.

Anyone have any strong feelings one way or the other on Carle? If he has any interest in the NHL, he's probably going to get hired this summer. While Lalonde isn't a bad coach, I don't think you pass up a chance at hiring a guy like Carle. It may not work, but he's proven himself against NHL talent.

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
Only if he engages in a death match with this guy...Winner takes all!

1713324627591.png

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
If Wings were to make a change I don't want a rookie NHL coach again for now. I also don't think Lalonde is even close to getting fired as before the season began him and Yzerman said they wanted us competitive at least until the end of the season and their goal was accomplished even if some fans don't like said goal.

Reactions: wings95 and Henkka

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
No more rookie coaches get someone established who knows how to do the job.
If you take for example Philadelphia, they should not be where they are if not their coach, but it's not always working that way

Reactions: Realgud

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
I would be down for that. I feel like he could establish great rapport with the new guys in the pipeline coming up and mold them into a cohesive team.

I'm a college fan, first and foremost, so I hope he stays at Denver and cements his legacy so people will eventually mention him in the ranks of Jerry York, Badger Bob, etc.

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Nothing is happening, this was a major success for the Red Wings. They held fans for a full 82 games. That's huge for them, plus sold some hope at the end that everyone always buys.

More people than not actually think it's a lock to make the playoffs next year that I spoke with casually.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Isn't Gerard Gallant available?
GG has stated that he doesn't want to work for a close friend because he knows coaches have a shelf life. People can change their minds though.

He's turned down NHL assistant coaching jobs to stay at Denver in past years.
He probably doesn't want the stress. He quit playing hockey because of hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. I thought there was something weird because he went straight into coaching.

dj4aces

An Intricate Piece of Infinity
Dec 17, 2007
Duluth, GA
While I'm a fan of picking coaches who aren't already members of the league's coaching carousel, I don't see Lalonde in any trouble whatsoever. Lalonde isn't perfect, but he's fine for now.

Not even Bowman of 1996-1998 could've pushed this group to the playoffs. Deep inside, I think everyone who wants Lalonde gone knows this.

Furthermore, we're not the kind of organization who'll just cut a coach loose after a couple seasons, not unless there's a serious irreconcilable issue. Look no further than at how long we kept Blash.

Reactions: PenskyMaterial

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada
While I'm a fan of picking coaches who aren't already members of the league's coaching carousel, I don't see Lalonde in any trouble whatsoever. Lalonde isn't perfect, but he's fine for now.

Not even Bowman of 1996-1998 could've pushed this group to the playoffs. Deep inside, I think everyone who wants Lalonde gone knows this.

Furthermore, we're not the kind of organization who'll just cut a coach loose after a couple seasons, not unless there's a serious irreconcilable issue. Look no further than at how long we kept Blash.
This is a weird statement considering they missed the playoffs on a tiebreaker. If you think this is true, you’re essentially saying that 1997 Bowman is the same quality of coach as Lalonde. Which is certainly an opinion.

Scotty Bowman would have had these guys firmly in the 2nd WC by 10+ pts.

Reactions: Nut Upstrom

dj4aces

An Intricate Piece of Infinity
Dec 17, 2007
Duluth, GA
This is a weird statement considering they missed the playoffs on a tiebreaker. If you think this is true, you’re essentially saying that 1997 Bowman is the same quality of coach as Lalonde. Which is certainly an opinion.

Scotty Bowman would have had these guys firmly in the 2nd WC by 10+ pts.
Perhaps Bowman could've squeezed an extra point or two out of this group, but we'd be quick first round exits. Don't try to make it sound as if Bowman could take a lump of clay and make a stunning sculpture out of it, because it took years of him coaching the team before we won that cup.

Lalonde? He's no Bowman, not even close. He still has a lot to learn, but he's not the reason we missed the playoffs. This roster is, and Stevie knew that going into the season. There's a reason why he told us all to not expect playoffs during the pre-season media availability.

The only weird thing here is the number of people who boarded the hype train and didn't recognize it as an Amtrak.

Reactions: PenskyMaterial

FissionFire

Dec 22, 2006
Las Vegas, NV
www.redwingscentral.com
For all his warts, Lalonde is not even remotely close to the problem with this team. We’ve yet to assemble a bonafide playoff level roster. This season was nice but the team overachieved if anything. I’m not ready to pull the plug until I see him get a chance to coach and actual good team with enough talent to play his system properly. So far he’s had to ride Larkin and Seider into the the ground because he have no other top 6 centers or top pair D. Get a legit 2C and a competent 2nd defense pair so Seider doesn’t have to face the hardest QoC by a large margin in the NHL and then judge Lalonde. I think he’ll actually do really well once we have a properly constructed team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad