Anyone have a morning/night routine (in terms of media)

ItsFineImFine

Aug 11, 2019
I don't mean what you eat or what exercises or payers or whatever you do. Was curious what media content people consume before/after bed.

It's a bit different for me now due to the pandemic. In the morning, I used to listen to either music or a podcast on the way to work or school before that but now, bleh. I log into work then check reddit or HF for a bit when I get a break.

At night it's a mess, I try to watch something upbeat like a British panel show or short sitcom but haven't really found anything since the Craig Ferguson show ended, I used to watch the monologue on it from the day before on Youtube. Now I sometimes listen to a podcast before bed for a bit or just read something for 20-30.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I do almost all of my album listening exclusively as I'm in bed trying to fall asleep or when I'm on a regular commute back and forth between things (and sometimes I'll even take the less convenient commute, like walking instead of driving, just to prolongue or improve that aspect).

Other things, I don't have a routine for-- I tend to just binge them when I become interested and procrastinate when I'm not.

Reactions: ItsFineImFine

kook10

Jun 27, 2011
Disposable reality TV for 20-30 minutes in bed until ready to sleep. Wheeler Dealers, Chasing Classic Cars, Northwoods Law, Lone Star Law, Mountain Men, House Hunters International, American Pickers type stuff.

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
Morning: music while checking my pool & the global infos quickly & emails & HF, etc. And really, music all day whenever I can, even through some of my many Zoom meetings.

Night: trashy films mostly.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
Podcasts or music for the morning routine, making meals, doing dishes.

I'll usually watch something while I ride an exercise bike whenever I find the time to do that during the day. I sometimes get an hour or two window between my work and my wife's work where I can watch something during the week. Our bed routine is usually watching a documentary or educational type show (we do a lot of Nat Geo/PBS/BBC things) and/or whatever fictional show we're into at the moment (Community right now). We tend to only watch one comedy and one drama show at a time, rather than bouncing between a lot of different things.

If she goes to sleep early, I'll usually flip it over to a movie of some sort.

Mimsy

Mar 21, 2015
I use ASMR videos nightly to fall asleep. I can fall asleep on my own, but prefer the assist. I stick with a handful of regulars (a familiarity with the performer makes me more susceptible to their charms, rather than clicking on random videos).

Before watching ASMR, I usually wind down with animal rescue videos. Takis Shelter/Hope for Paws/Animal Aid Unlimited India are go-to's.

Prior to streaming, I relied on the most unobtrusive tv shows I could find (Seinfeld/Star Trek reruns I'd already watched dozens of times).

ghostnights

Oct 8, 2010
Edmonton
I wake up and read HFBOARDS / manage my 4 fantasy hockey teams . I listen to music on the way to work or sports radio if the Oilers played the night prior.

I watch something light hearted before bed. I’m currently watching Schitts Creek. I turn technology off and lay in the dark until I fall asleep . It has done wonders for my sleep.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
When I have a day off, I put a wad of chewing tobacco in, preferably Stoker's Green, go to the lavatory and read Der Spiegel. If my child lets me.

And in the evening the same, except I watch an old Tatort on the sofa. If my child lets me, that is.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
It's not really a routine because I don't do it every night, but I've recently found that I like putting on a half hour episode of something just before bed. It's nice when I don't want to go to bed just quite yet, but also don't want to commit to something that I won't finish. I can always justify staying up just 30 minutes longer and it's a good time for me to eat a pre-bed snack, have a cup of tea, clip my nails and so on. I started doing it in the Fall with The Simpsons and got through the first two seasons before switching to Star Trek: The Animated Series. Recently, I've been watching the 80s British comedy 'Allo 'Allo! When I finish that, I'll likely go back to The Simpsons and continue where I left off (with my plan being to eventually watch the first 10 or so seasons to know for sure that I've seen every episode from the best seasons).

ItsFineImFine

Aug 11, 2019
Hmmm I feel less sad about myself in the morning/night now. My modern/night routine life is just as crap as anyone else's it seems.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Hmmm I feel less sad about myself in the morning/night now. My modern/night routine life is just as crap as anyone else's it seems.

I was all happy to see that you "liked" my routine... then I kept scrolling and saw that you called it "crap." Now, I am sad. :( :laugh:

ItsFineImFine

Aug 11, 2019
I was all happy to see that you "liked" my routine... then I kept scrolling and saw that you called it "crap." Now, I am sad. :( :laugh:

I wouldn't say crap I would say it's all equally meaningless. Optimistic nihilism lol.

Sep 19, 2008
Need to undergo rehab so every morning I heat up my sore joints watching TV and usually shut down every evening around 8 or 9 to ice pack watching TV downstairs. Always the same stuff in the evenings too, reruns of 24 on Hulu

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
I get up at 5 and eat breakfast while listening to a radio news show and reading the paper. At night I go to bed after the hockey game or sometimes watch the 3rd period in bed and am asleep by 10. I know it's boring, but that's it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad