Speculation: Anyone gonna sign Enstrom?

north49er

Dec 20, 2017
Go read the threads .I should clarify, not best overall but they say one of the best defensive dman in the league .
From what I've read he really didn't just leave town he was nearly driven out of town. He surely could be a fit somewhere?

Anton Babchuk

Nov 3, 2005
Raleigh-Durham
twitter.com

That article seems to misinterpreting the Sportsnet report saying that he wasn't going to return to Winnipeg. The Sportsnet report didn't say anything about him not wanting to return to the NHL, just not to Winnipeg.

Since that article was published he fired his agent Kalle Boden and hired Daniel Milstein and Keith McKittrick. Not sure why you'd fire a Swedish agent and hire two non-Swedes if you were set on playing in Sweden.

Also it was reported after that article that he was focused on playing in the NHL:

I'm not saying there's no chance that he'll sign in Sweden but let's not take this questionably sourced, outdated article as definitive proof that he has "retired" or is for sure playing in Sweden.

Last edited:
Reactions: Peter Tagli Eddie

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Pittsburgh bound

I don't think Enstrom is willing to play for $3ooo a season cause I think that is the about the cap space the Pens have left. ;) I do think he would be better than Jack Johnson though.

Gotta be impressed that Enstrom, an 8th round under-sized dman, came to the NHL and made a shit ton of money in his career.

bumblebeeman

Mar 16, 2016
Go read the threads .I should clarify, not best overall but they say one of the best defensive dman in the league .

There's a big difference between saying "here's a stat that Enstrom was top 5 in the league in" vs "I think Enstrom is one of the best dmen in the league".

Blackmon

Mullet
Jun 23, 2018
Cambridge Bay, NU
Enstrom is my favorite Jet/Thrasher in franchise history. He’s been loyal to this franchise through thick and thin. As a fellow short guy, he’s always kinda been a reminder that my own size can’t hold me back or be used as an excuse to keep me out of sports and competition.

I hope he lands somewhere. Would love to see him go to Toronto, Washington, Tampa, etc - somewhere where he will have a legitimate chance to win a Cup. Sadly, after what happened in game 5 versus Vegas, I see zero chance he ever comes back to the Jets.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
What could be expected out of him at this point in his career?

I could be mistaken here but I think basically what Ron Hainsey has been for Toronto this past season. Steady, dependable, but next to nothing in terms of offense

Basically this, although he's undersized so he's sometimes going to get outmuscled, but he's probably better at moving the puck than Hainsey.

At this point though you have to expect him to get hurt at some point(s) during a season, dude can't seem to put together a healthy year.

Ideally a 3rd pairing guy and veteran presence, but can step up to play top 4 in a pinch.

It's been reported that Washington is in discussions with a few veteran UFA defensemen. It sounds like they don't want Djoos and Bowey together full-time just yet and Orlov-Niskanen / Kempny-Carlson are pretty well set. If he's willing to take a cheap, one-year deal to go to a contender I could see this being a marriage that makes sense.

He'd be a great fit on the Caps right now.

Reactions: Jared Dunn

astrobuck

Aug 13, 2009
Louisville, Kentucky
Enstrom is my favorite Jet/Thrasher in franchise history. He’s been loyal to this franchise through thick and thin. As a fellow short guy, he’s always kinda been a reminder that my own size can’t hold me back or be used as an excuse to keep me out of sports and competition.

I hope he lands somewhere. Would love to see him go to Toronto, Washington, Tampa, etc - somewhere where he will have a legitimate chance to win a Cup. Sadly, after what happened in game 5 versus Vegas, I see zero chance he ever comes back to the Jets.
People really have no idea how awful the Thrashers D was until Enstrom showed up. He and Nic Havelid were the only decent pairing we had for a couple of seasons. Plus, Toby's offensive stats took a nose dive after the Buff trade when Toby had to pick up the defensive responsibility as Buff was learning how to play D.
I'm really hoping that the Preds sign him. I think he'd be great on the 3rd pairing at this stage and he could also be used on special teams.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
I could see the Leafs taking a flyer on him if they move Gardiner (in a package) for a RHD

Reilly - new RHD
Dermott Zaitsev
Enstrom Carrick
Carrick, Holl could both use a good defensive guy so they can use their offensive ability a bit more.
If Orzhiganov (sp ) wins the spot having a veteran guy could really help with transition.

Other guy I could see the Leafs going after is Hamhuis on a 1 year deal.

Reilly New RHD
Hamhuis Zaitsev
Dermott Hainsey

Hamhuis is a surprise UFA to me.

GMpuckFan66

Jun 25, 2018
It seems unlikely at this point, but I'd be happy bringing him back for a year.
Our LD depth is pretty thin right now.
He won't resign with the jets. Rumor was he was not happy with Maurice after he scratched him for game 5 and he packed up his stuff and left right after the exit interview with chevy

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB
He's okay and still better than a good portion of the D in the league today.

Positives
He's good at moving the puck
He's okay at positioning
He's okay at using his stick

Negatives
He's "wet paper towel" soft.
He absolutely, 10000% refuses to shoot the puck
In certain games, his skillset is completely useless....unfortunately, a lot of those games are the ones you find in the playoffs.

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB
He won't resign with the jets. Rumor was he was not happy with Maurice after he scratched him for game 5 and he packed up his stuff and left right after the exit interview with chevy
Yeah. I get why he was mad but there's a good reason that that move was made. Playoff games ramp up the intensity pretty quick and that does not suit his game.

Reactions: GMpuckFan66

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
I'm really not buying this "he is going back to the SHL" stuff. If he really goes back to Europe (unlikely) something like Ak Bars or Avangard will offer him at least 2 mil per year. Don't really see anyone in Sweden having that kind of money.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad