TV: Anyone Else Sick Of Watching The News?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Everything else on TV is either a repeat or programming taken out of the trash bin, so is anyone else sick of watching the news?

The news is all bad, all divisive, all depressing. Except during the last couple minutes when they give us a "happy, uplifting" story.

At least when we had sports, we had a distraction.

Reactions: Babe Ruth

member 51464

Most "news" falls into the infotainment category and should be avoided. Unless it is something like election night coverage or the opening days of some war or huge event (like the beginning of the George Floyd protests), I see very little use for cable news.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Never been a big news watcher, and even in quarantine I haven’t watched much of it. Netflix is where it’s at.

ItsFineImFine

Aug 11, 2019
I don't think I've intentionally watched the news in like a decade now. I do still stay informed to a decent extent but it's online news, you get all the same headlines anyways.

You do have to be aware so that you aren't a mindless zombie or end up voting for the wrong political party or not taking the right pre-cautions during a pandemic for example, but obviously I'm not gonna spend too much time on it because it's not something I can control or something that I can enjoy.

Reactions: Darcy Loewen

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
Are you kidding? I've had enough "news" for a lifetime many years ago, and now we have to f'n hear about everything just the same, almost anywhere we look.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Did you know Rush Limbaugh’s net worth is 500 million?
Oh, not surprising at all. The grift has been running big dollars for decades now.

You know what's really funny? Hearing them all moaning and ranting about how the liberal media is just trying to scare everyone with this covid thing (you know, the disease that's killed 120,000+ Americans since March) because apparently somehow the liberal media have a magical way of monetizing fear...and how long ago was it we were all hearing about the migrant caravans in Mexico? You know, the ones funded by George Soros or Hilary Clinton, fairly dripping with ISIS agents just itching to cross the border into the US? Or wait...how the mass shootings at supermarkets and schools were all just fronts because the scary liberals were coming for your guns?

Here's a better one: LOCK HER UP!! LOCK HER UP!! How many of the feebs do you think were chanting that in 2016 even remember what they wanted her locked up for? Or noticed that in 2020...she's still not locked up?

*edit* I remember a really good one: look up Rush Limbaugh's remarks when the hurricane was bearing down on Florida a few years ago. There was some great shit in there...what was it...he called it the "Media/Weather Complex" or something like that. Apparently it was all a scam to scare people...right up until he himself had to decamp from his Florida mansion due to the hurricane. It was hilarious.

Reactions: Zeppo
Sep 19, 2008
I watch the news every day.

The 6:30 / 6 PM on Sunday Nightly News

But CNN / MSNBC / FOX are just divisive

Sep 19, 2008
Stay up to date on local news but that’s about it
Local news is a little important but I'm more concerned about national affairs. I usually watch the news every day but it's the last 10 minutes of the local news (weather / sports) and then 30 minutes of nightly national news. (CBS is my preferred news broadcaster)

Local news: Schools closed / Local crimes / Local events

Why would I care. Weather and Sports are the most important

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I didn't mean for this to turn into a Right vs Left debate.

I'm just tired of all the bad news.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I realized a while ago the big news stations are mostly just selling fear and stopped watching. I do sometimes watch local news, but that's about it.

JTToilinginToronto

Isles Fan
Jan 18, 2019
Everything else on TV is either a repeat or programming taken out of the trash bin, so is anyone else sick of watching the news?

The news is all bad, all divisive, all depressing. Except during the last couple minutes when they give us a "happy, uplifting" story.

At least when we had sports, we had a distraction.
What you said is true, but it's really more of a reflection upon humanity. News cares about ratings. If people coming together singing kumbaya bought in the views, you could bet your ass that's what most of the stories would be. But the reality is people like watching people rioting or big car accidents or world dictators threatening war with one another or something similar to that.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
There's numerous streaming services,that for under$10 a month, you have access to thousands of hours of content.

The only reason to sit around and watch the news all day is because that's what you want to do.

Reactions: member 51464
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad