Anyone else prefer the vintage jerseys?

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I honestly always like the ones that you guys hate the mid 90s to mid 2000s jerseys, but from the jerseys that the Pens won cups in, I think the Vintage are much nicer. I feel like the news ones are just futuristic for the sake of being futuristic. The vintage ones are much nicer and also actually match the Pittsburgh colors. These are the colors of the Steelers and Pirates. Also, I believe that this version of gold is actually the gold color of Pittsburgh, not the new age stuff that the modern jersey is.

LionelHutz*

6.jpg

This for home/away

This for the 3rd

93Road.jpg

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
The 3rd jerseys should be the every day jersey. They look ****ing insanely good. Beautiful on the ice. Beautiful off the ice.

And everyone receiving one for Christmas is going to be happy.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I haven't been watching as much hockey as I would have liked this year being in school are these vintage colors now an every game occurrence? I just watched a Penguins game against the Jackets on the NHL Network and for the life of me can't remember what color they were wearing. Anyway, these colors are much better IMO and fit the rest of the teams in Pittsburgh.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
The cup-era ones need to be promoted to full time, a majority of Pens fans have wanted that since...uh, well, 1992.

It's needed extra bad because the vegas gold color was completely nerfed by Reebok's new materials and just looks beige now. Those pre-edge jerseys were pretty damn nice, if not ideal.

bathroomSTAAL

The halcyon days
Mar 15, 2007
Pittsburgh
I can't believe it's been 7 years now with these splotchy beige disasters. I agree with Big that the pre-Edge Vegas gold was more than acceptable, but they need to get a white version of the current third and make them the primaries yesterday.

ProgOg

Aug 25, 2014
Yeah, the shiny Vegas gold jerseys were nice - but the current 3rds are just amazing.

The way the Penguins are pushing them I think they'll replace the beige ones in a season or two.

titaniumexpose

LG Pens & Sharks
Dec 13, 2006
Ohio by way of Ford City, PA
Agree with everyone else, current 3rds are dynamite. I hated the mid 90s "pigeon" and the alternates that followed. Vegas gold doesn't cut it for me even though I own a couple, 71 away & 29 home. I can't wait to get a new Crosby 3rd, just can't afford it atm.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
I already own as many throwback alternates as I do home/road/alternates from the Edge era...one.

I have a Sid home jersey because it's pretty much mandatory.

People will buy more jerseys if they actually like them, Penguins.

systemsgo

fire mj
Apr 24, 2014
I prefer the vintage throwbacks. they're amazing. I never liked the Vegas gold ones, even pre-edge, I thougt they looked a bit like cheap satin ribbons tbh. they need to make the current thirds the home jersey.

JackFr

Jun 18, 2010
Since I imagine a strong number of people on this board (including me) just got the new third for Christmas, I would say yes.

Ignatius

LET HIM IN TO THE BOX
Apr 28, 2010
Sin Bin
This for the 3rd

93Road.jpg

I hate the pidgeon logo on the shoulders, I have one of these shirts and I removed those logo patches. It looks much better, they could do that or put the skating penguin logo on.

LionelHutz*

I hate the pidgeon logo on the shoulders, I have one of these shirts and I removed those logo patches. It looks much better, they could do that or put the skating penguin logo on.

Agreed.

Or the logo from the 1st winter classic.

titaniumexpose

LG Pens & Sharks
Dec 13, 2006
Ohio by way of Ford City, PA

Completely forgot about that one :facepalm:
I loved the diagonal Pittsburgh despite the pigeon. I'd be afraid to ruin it. It would look fantastic with the skating penguin on the shoulder.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I don't think there's a single Pens fan who doesn't prefer the vintage 3rds over the ****-ass Vegas golds.

Cherpak

Jan 1, 2014
When they wore the Pre Reebok edge design I loved it. The Vegas gold back then really worked and that design really flowed. The Edge vegas gold like others have said looks washed out and tan/beige in color. Not to mention the cookie cutter Edge design. Horrible.

That being said, the more I see the "old" colors on the new 3rds I realize how much more they "pop" on the television and are truly the colors of Pittsburgh. Hopefully Mario will realize how much we want OUR colors back and makes these or some other design with the true black and gold.

My jerseys
Crosby/Staal Pre Edge (Home)
Letang WC (Baby blues)
Malkin Edge (Home)
Malkin (Desert digital camouflage)

Haven't decided on a player for the 3rd yet.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
It's amazing how much more the 'Pittsburgh gold' pops on TV, I don't remember it being that vivid...but I suppose a lot of that has to do with how greatly TVs have improved in the 22+ years between them being worn.

The diagonal 'PITTSBURGH' design is one of those things that I like, but I've long been against on principal. That is a signature look of a team in our division who had that long before any Pittsburgh team did. That said, ditch the robo-penguin on the shoulder and it's a damn fine looking jersey and the Rangers never threw a hissy fit about us wearing the diagonal designs in the two (very brief) times that we did (and Colorado has had a similar alt for a good while now). It's totally nitpicky on my end, especially because the designs that I love so much are a borrowed template as well...but there's more of a history there (the alternate template is a throwback to the Hornets of the 60s...who were the AHL affiliate of the Red Wings, so the jerseys were nearly identical to the Red Wings) and it isn't as instantly recognizable.

66-67TF.jpg

Amazing how a color scheme can mask how similar they really are.

Honestly if we brought the 'PITTSBURGH' jerseys back as an alternate after promoting the current alt to the primaries I'd be very happy...so long as robo-pigeon remains deep in the closet of regret and shame.

Last edited:

SUBdrewgANS

Let's Go Pens!
Dec 4, 2007
Abington, PA
www.drewklevan.com
When they wore the Pre Reebok edge design I loved it. The Vegas gold back then really worked and that design really flowed. The Edge vegas gold like others have said looks washed out and tan/beige in color. Not to mention the cookie cutter Edge design. Horrible.

That being said, the more I see the "old" colors on the new 3rds I realize how much more they "pop" on the television and are truly the colors of Pittsburgh. Hopefully Mario will realize how much we want OUR colors back and makes these or some other design with the true black and gold.

My jerseys
Crosby/Staal Pre Edge (Home)
Letang WC (Baby blues)
Malkin Edge (Home)
Malkin (Desert digital camouflage)

Haven't decided on a player for the 3rd yet.

Maatta

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad