Anyone Else Get 2019-2020 Vibes From This Team?

GlitchMarner

Typical malevolent, devious & vile Maple Leafs fan
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
In my opinion, that team is the weakest one TOR has had during the Matthews era (with the 2017 version being marginally better).

This year's team is definitely the weakest one since 2020 and also reminds me of that year's team. The defense is pretty bad both on paper and on the ice and the non-top four forwards collectively don't score enough.

The 2020 team might or might not have made the playoffs in a full season. It lost in five games to Columbus in a qualifying series. I don't see this year's team doing much if any better.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I said I pitied the guy who took over from Dubas but did not consider that the guy who took over would suffer some self inflicted gunshot wounds. He was smart enough not to marry himself to most of his UFA signings so he gets another kick at the can next year. Oh yeah, he looks worse when dealing with Matty and Nylander than Dubas did. Quite the accomplishment unless Shanny held a gun to his head and approved of those deals, in which case Shanny is the moron.

TMLife17

Is this approved?
Oct 14, 2021
I said I pitied the guy who took over from Dubas but did not consider that the guy who took over would suffer some self inflicted gunshot wounds. He was smart enough not to marry himself to most of his UFA signings so he gets another kick at the can next year. Oh yeah, he looks worse when dealing with Matty and Nylander than Dubas did. Quite the accomplishment unless Shanny held a gun to his head and approved of those deals, in which case Shanny is the moron.
There’s no shot Shanny didn’t do those deals. And id do the Matthews one again in a heartbeat.

Reactions: HofT and Anthrax442

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
It feels worse than 2019-2020. At least that season, we were preparing for a bit of pain, as we transitioned half of our forwards from ELCs to contracts costing 35+m more, and while we started off horribly, we righted the ship, fought our way back, and maintained through a ton of injuries and some of the worst goaltending in the league that year. This year we were supposed to be great, and had more internal help and ELCs than we've had in ages, and it just kind of feels like... consistent mediocre, largely from self-inflicted wounds, and not only does there not seem to be a turning point coming this season, the person tasked with fixing it moving forward hasn't inspired much hope.

Reactions: Gallagbi

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
Dubas handed out UFA contracts as RFA and raided the Leafs asset cupboard to bolster his teams to failure.

Tre meanwhile hasn't even put a full season in as GM and left to pick up the pieces.

Basically I don't agree with you.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Dubas handed out UFA contracts as RFA and raided the Leafs asset cupboard to bolster his teams to failure.

Tre meanwhile hasn't even put a full season in as GM and left to pick up the pieces.

Basically I don't agree with you.
So you think this team has gotten better with Tre's moves? I do not see it unless Bert wakes up and Domi starts scoring more goals and the D can actually defend.

Reactions: Mr_Fun and hullsy47

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
it feels similar in a lot of ways, we somehow have a worse defence and worse depth but better top end scoring. Goaltending about the same

We better not buy just like that year

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
when dubas was fired I had a bit of hope. I didn't think Tre would double down on the stupid contracts. Both Matthews and Nylander are seriously overpaid IMO with their new deals.

Now the questions is whether Tre would mortgage the future even more at the TDL? I really hope not.

2019-2020 team had mentally checked out. Horachek's "give a shit meter" had clocked to ZERO

I don't think "give a shit" meter has clocked to ZERO for these guys just yet.

My 2 cents

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Just a bit more context....

Every team (besides Philly) has a realtively stronger home record compared to the Leafs. Leafs may squeeze into the playoffs unless the 18 wheeler falls off of a cliff. I just hope Tre doesn't buy at TDL.

IMHO we've gotta wait out JT's contract. Just one more season after this season and then Leafs can do some buying. Until then just re-tooling would be better IMO. I really don't think Leafs are gonna do any damage in the post season with Tavares' contract the way it is and Marner not being is usual self.

1707674190111.png

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
So you think this team has gotten better with Tre's moves? I do not see it unless Bert wakes up and Domi starts scoring more goals and the D can actually defend.
Did you think one offseason of ufa signings was going to improve the team to the point that it would supersede the years of compounding mistakes Dubas had made?

Why do you think Tre hasn't pulled the trigger on any deals yet. He has no cap space and the few assets that were left by Dubas I'm sure he is conflicted over trading away.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Yep, that's exactly what it feels like. This season and that 19-20 season are the least I've enjoyed watching hockey in over a decade. Both teams just feel mid and going through the motions, playing soulless lifeless hockey.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
it feels similar in a lot of ways, we somehow have a worse defence and worse depth but better top end scoring. Goaltending about the same

We better not buy just like that year
Matty and Willie have been better. Marner has underperformed overall and Tavares has jumped the Shark. Overall even our top end scoring is worse if not for Matty IMO.

Matty on pace for 70. Willie 41. Mitch 36 and JT 24 (171).

They had 40,40, 25 and 36 (141) last year.

Reactions: Aashir Mallik

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
Florida Panthers looking darned impressive too (if they make the playoffs) a first round matchup with them couldn't be worse for Leafs would be over in 5.

Reactions: BrannigansLaw

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Did you think one offseason of ufa signings was going to improve the team to the point that it would supersede the years of compounding mistakes Dubas had made?

Why do you think Tre hasn't pulled the trigger on any deals yet. He has no cap space and the few assets that were left by Dubas I'm sure he is conflicted over trading away.
I did say I pittied the guy who took over but him making mistakes did not cross my mind. Of course, it is too small a sample size but so far, he has not passed all the tests IMO.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Feels more like 2012-2013 and the infamous game 7 .. offense-based team with weak defense and mediocre goaltending and makes it in but blows away a chance to win a round.

Could easily see another 4-1 lead blown in a game with this year's team.

Reactions: Pinto

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005

In one offseason, we went from a comfortable playoff team over the past ~3 years to a team scrapping for the wild card.

Tre looked at the roster and tried to improve secondary scoring and grit. That gutted our defensive abilities, which is very apparent, and the toughness/scoring hasn't come through. We also had a roster with versatility - PK options, guys who can play multiple positions, etc.. now you're largely locked into a certain roster because that's been lost.

I get shitting on playoff success, but to suggest Tre was helpless by the misfortune of inheriting a top seed in the East with all of its core locked up for the year is insanity.

PROUD PAPA

Sep 20, 2021
It does have a similar hopeless feeling or maybe i've just finally learned to keep expectations/hopes with this core low. Constant failure weighs on a person.

Reactions: ToneDog

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

Benoit looks decent for where he is in the line-up.
Gregor could likely be replaced by a call-up.

However, yeah, Klingberg, Domi, Bertuzzi, Reaves that's quite a bad run of signings.

But as said, mostly 1 and done contracts.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Benoit looks decent for where he is in the line-up.
Gregor could likely be replaced by a call-up.

However, yeah, Klingberg, Domi, Bertuzzi, Reaves that's quite a bad run of signings.

But as said, mostly 1 and done contracts.
Benoit has been great but I can see the workload getting to him. Without Rielly, our D looks like it is in for some serious pain until 44 returns. Somebody needs to give Bert the smelling salts asap.

mjd1001

May 24, 2022
I hate to say the same thing over and over, but sure i'm evaluating the team now, but as long as they make the playoffs, the regular season hardly matters.

If they flame out in the 1st round, they yeah, they had a bad season. But as long as they make the playoffs, nothing else matters from the regular season (except injuries, and this team has been luck enough to not have many lost games from the top guys).

Reactions: ToneDog

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
In one offseason, we went from a comfortable playoff team over the past ~3 years to a team scrapping for the wild card.

Tre looked at the roster and tried to improve secondary scoring and grit. That gutted our defensive abilities, which is very apparent, and the toughness/scoring hasn't come through. We also had a roster with versatility - PK options, guys who can play multiple positions, etc.. now you're largely locked into a certain roster because that's been lost.

I get shitting on playoff success, but to suggest Tre was helpless by the misfortune of inheriting a top seed in the East with all of its core locked up for the year is insanity.
I agree. I think Tre gambled and it didn't pay out.
I also think the team didn't have a great stretch like they often do the past few seasons which then the team lived off it.
MM and JT and to some extend AM were playing great consistently. I know AM been scoring at a great pace but he is either pot a few in a game or just completely icecold. NO need to talk about MM and JT as both of them despite their stats are not having great season.
If anything, maybe Tre is playing 4D chess, and realise unless something big happens, this team is going no where and just let all the weakness expose.
IF the team is more competitive, it could be another TDL of selling the farm in hope for a miracle to happen in the playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad