Anyone else feel today's game is lacking slapshots? (Not one timers)

Richardbro

Jul 22, 2009
Toronto
What made 90s and early 2000s hockey really exciting for me were players taking straight up slapshots. We had Sundin, Lindros, sakic and many others taking booming shots all the time. In today's NHL, they're not taken as often, with only a few players I can think of using slapshots (ovechkin, Hoffman, Stamkos and mostly only defense). One reason I love watching Stamkos play is his use of a slapshot coming down the wing compared to 90% of other forwards taking wristshots. Wrist shot while accurate, are getting boring.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Equipment has made shots easier to block for both skaters and goalies so it's become less advantageous to take time winding up. The power isn't worth it anymore.

Plus, goaltending is just better in general. Even if you get it off, the chances of blowing it past the goalie clean with no screen or tip is virtually nil.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
There's usually not enough time and space for a forward to take a slapshot without being blocked

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
Less accurate than a slapshot. In a game where rebounds/garbage goals are becoming the new "wrist shot" of the early 00's, the wrist shot is the new slapshot.

kingsholygrail

Slewfoots Everywhere
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
Doughty does slap shots all the time. They get blocked almost every time because the big windup screams "get ready to block my shot."

lawrence

May 19, 2012
yes, although they still happen, the game has evolved too a point were slap shots is often not the best play.

1 being it's often blocked.

2, goalies are too good, to whine up for a slap shot goalies will prepare for it. Unless your doing it to scare players, then sure go for a slapper.

Hagged

Jul 6, 2009
What made 90s and early 2000s hockey really exciting for me were players taking straight up slapshots. We had Sundin, Lindros, sakic and many others taking booming shots all the time. In today's NHL, they're not taken as often, with only a few players I can think of using slapshots (ovechkin, Hoffman, Stamkos and mostly only defense). One reason I love watching Stamkos play is his use of a slapshot coming down the wing compared to 90% of other forwards taking wristshots. Wrist shot while accurate, are getting boring.

There are players that have a comparable slapper to the old timers. Defending is the thing that has changed. Laine for example has been taking slap shots regularly outside NHL. He also used slap shot (without it being a one timer) at least two times this season in the games I watched. One went in off a d-mans stick, one was blocked wide. It seems like he just doesn't get the space for it in the NHL as easily as in Junior leagues for some reason.

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
I remember an interview with Mathieu Schneider when he was with the Wings (so at least 10 years ago) and he talked about in the 80s when he started, he knew that he could beat a goalie with an unscreened slapshot from the blue line if it was hard and accurate enough. Even against his team-mate Patrick Roy.

Fast forward to the noughtys and he said it was impossible to beat a goalie with an unscreened slapshot because of a mixture of goalie technique, and goalie equipment.

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
Aside from the defense and goaltending changes, the sticks have changed too. Just can't trust them anymore, you never know when it'll explode on you. And with their flex, it can be hard getting an accurate slapper off

nmbr_24

Jun 8, 2003
Visit site
I think for most players a slapshot is an extremely low percentage play and with the way analytics is used today I have to wonder if any coaches actively discourage slapshots.

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact coming my way!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
From up close, a wrist shot can be placed better. From far away, an unobstructed goalie will pretty much always stop a slapshot. The only useful usage for a slapshot is to be used for a redirection, that's it. So, no... I don't think that hockey needs more slapshots.

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
Why take the time for a slapshot when composite sticks are so whippy that you can get slapshot like velocity off a quick wrister?

Laineux

Aug 1, 2011
The team defences are just so tight these days, there's usually no room on the ice.

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton
As has been mentioned, the tighter nhl defence gets the harder and less advisable it is to try one.

As well, in what has become a game focused on possession, firing a slapshot wide of the net that rings around out of the zone has become a play hated more than ever before

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
Yes. I've been thinking this for a while now. The game is missing a big element to it, when slap shots aren't used. I understand why they aren't doing it any more. But I still used to like them.

Narow

Nov 11, 2016
Whats considered a slapshot ?

Any of these?

That assist is insane aswell.

The first clip im pretty sure is a slapshot but any of the other ones?

xxreact9

Jun 4, 2012

Created by the same issue that created the probabilistic nature of the sport meaning whichever team plays the best has a max 60% chance to win.

The ice is too small. The players have gotten bigger, sticks are lighter and swing radius times are lower, skates and all equipment are better and players simply traverse the ice way faster.

Net result: this "corsi" style of play where everyone plays perimeter hockey and fires weak wrist shots into traffic "hoping for bounces".

Welcome to 2017 NHL

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
The slap shots are less accurate and more easily blocked.

But that doesn't stop Doughty from trying!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad