Anyone able to watch todays Canada Practices for WJHC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Toews, Cogliano shine in intra-squad game

Hockey Canada
Canadian Press
12/14/2005 10:52:42 PM

VANCOUVER (CP) - North Dakota forward Jonathan Toews and Michigan forward Andrew Cogliano each scored twice for the White team in an 8-1 win over Red in Wednesday's intra-squad game at the Canadian junior hockey team's selection camp.

David Bolland of the London Knights had a goal and two assists for White, which avenged a 4-0 loss to Red in the previous evening.

Saskatoon Blades forward Devin Setoguchi, Tri-City Americans defenceman Logan Stephenson and Erie Otters forward Ryan O'Marra also scored.

Full Story : http://www.tsn.ca/world_jrs/news_story.asp?ID=147019&hubName=world_jrs

TheDynasty

Aug 8, 2005
Looks like a Pogge/Price combination. Pogge probably getting the benefit as starter from a superior season and a superior intersquad performance.

As a fan of Canada, I'm happy with that.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
Can't help but wonder how different the perceptions would be if Dubnyk and Pogge had played today, and Ellis/Price yesterday?

IMO this system of making a team based on a couple of scrimmages can be highly inaccurate. I'm not sure the US system is better either, but IMO it's no less fair.

Whatever, I just want the best team to represent my country.

Freaky Habs Fan

Apr 26, 2003
New-Brunswick
Visit site
Digger12 said:
IMO this system of making a team based on a couple of scrimmages can be highly inaccurate. I'm not sure the US system is better either, but IMO it's no less fair.

It's still two teams formed with the best young players of Canada...

Rand

Oct 17, 2002
askme
Digger12 said:
Can't help but wonder how different the perceptions would be if Dubnyk and Pogge had played today, and Ellis/Price yesterday?

I'm sure Sutter isn't going to base his decisions completely around a few practices. Their play this season is almost assuredly oing to have a substantial effect on whose chosen.

Zetterberg4Captain*

X-SHARKIE said:
lol, yeah?

Well, Setoguchi scored tonight :)

Yeah but it was a ****** goal so that does'nt really matter. I dont want him to make it because the Blades need him even if we are 2-0 so far without him.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
Rand said:
I'm sure Sutter isn't going to base his decisions completely around a few practices. Their play this season is almost assuredly oing to have a substantial effect on whose chosen.

I would hope so, Sutter may come across as plain speakin' but he's far from stupid.

It's just interesting to see Dubnyk and Ellis getting dismissed out of hand by fans and media because of one scrimmage, where while they did let in a couple of softies, it seems obvious their teams weren't exactly playing with much defense in mind.

Freaky Habs Fan

Apr 26, 2003
New-Brunswick
Visit site
Digger12 said:
I would hope so, Sutter may come across as plain speakin' but he's far from stupid.

It's just interesting to see Dubnyk and Ellis getting dismissed out of hand by fans and media because of one scrimmage, where while they did let in a couple of softies, it seems obvious their teams weren't exactly playing with much defense in mind.

But 8 goals on 28 shots isn't good nomather what...even if he would play for Canada's C team, it's not good. And Dubnyk is in the same situation...4 goals on 16 shots isn't good nomather what.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
Freaky Habs Fan said:
But 8 goals on 28 shots isn't good nomather what...even if he would play for Canada's C team, it's not good. And Dubnyk is in the same situation...4 goals on 16 shots isn't good nomather what.

Hey, that's totally true. But Ellis is also the same guy that Sutter was quoted as saying that Ellis looked like the best goalie coming out of the summer camp.

If you're Sutter, which performance is a truer barometer?

Rand

Oct 17, 2002
askme
Digger12 said:

While I'm sure it hurts their chances it's not the be all and end all that finalizes the decision.
One doesn't become a coach at the international level by picking players based solely around how they perform in one single scrimmage.

Dubnyk, and particuarly Ellis's chances of making the team have diminished sharply due to their poor play in practice but they wouldn't have even been invited in the first place if they weren't potentially in the mix.
The fact that each of them are there is a sure sign that they all have an opportunity, I can't imagine Sutter is wasting his time on players he has no intention of considering.

If their all there, they all have an opportunity and their all likely at least passably close to a backup spot at the bare minimum. Whether they can take advantage of that opportunity is still to be fully seen.

Ellis/Dubnyk's poor showing will definitely count against them, but any goaltender can have a single bad night. If they don't make it, it won't be because they had one bad scrimmage. It'll be because their play throughout the training camp and season wasn't up to par with the other young top tier Canadian goalies.

Rand

Oct 17, 2002
askme
Digger12 said:
Hey, that's totally true. But Ellis is also the same guy that Sutter was quoted as saying that Ellis looked like the best goalie coming out of the summer camp.

Both, you can't pick and choose what to consider. He has to evaluate all the play he has seen.

It's foolhardy to base ones decision purely and solely on the regular season and completely ignore any and all bad performances against the best Canada has to offer in practice. It's equally foolish to entirely discount everything else they've done and base your decision on one single practice in a weeks worth of time.

Habs4ever

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal, (Quebec)
Visit site
but this practices are atleast supposed to make easy selection

Rand said:
While I'm sure it hurts their chances it's not the be all and end all that finalizes the decision.
One doesn't become a coach at the international level by picking players based solely around how they perform in one single scrimmage.

Dubnyk, and particuarly Ellis's chances of making the team have diminished sharply due to their poor play in practice but they wouldn't have even been invited in the first place if they weren't potentially in the mix.
The fact that each of them are there is a sure sign that they all have an opportunity, I can't imagine Sutter is wasting his time on players he has no intention of considering.

If their all there, they all have an opportunity and their all likely at least passably close to a backup spot at the bare minimum. Whether they can take advantage of that opportunity is still to be fully seen.

Ellis/Dubnyk's poor showing will definitely count against them, but any goaltender can have a single bad night. If they don't make it, it won't be because they had one bad scrimmage. It'll be because their play throughout the training camp and season wasn't up to par with the other young top tier Canadian goalies.

when four goalies were picked, it was consenses from all side that they all could do the job, so team canada only has few practices to pick two goalies because thats the only way they can decide, so ya they could look at season performance but in this case I don't see any need..

Cerebral

Aug 4, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
Habs4ever said:
when four goalies were picked, it was consenses from all side that they all could do the job, so team canada only has few practices to pick two goalies because thats the only way they can decide, so ya they could look at season performance but in this case I don't see any need..
How can you see no need? Each goaltender got one game to prove his worth and you feel that's enough to judge them on? Just out of curiosity, would you feel the same way if Price was the goaltender that let in 8 goals? Ellis has played solid all season and it seems somewhat foolish to completely eliminate his chances based on one bad scrimmage.

Freaky Habs Fan

Apr 26, 2003
New-Brunswick
Visit site
Rand said:
Ellis/Dubnyk's poor showing will definitely count against them, but any goaltender can have a single bad night . If they don't make it, it won't be because they had one bad scrimmage. It'll be because their play throughout the training camp and season wasn't up to par with the other young top tier Canadian goalies.

IMO, in a 5 days camp, you can't have a bad game. And there's also a difference between a bad game, and a BAD game...

Dubnyk had a bad game
Ellis had a BAD game

Freaky Habs Fan

Apr 26, 2003
New-Brunswick
Visit site
Cerebral said:
How can you see no need? Each goaltender got one game to prove his worth and you feel that's enough to judge them on? Just out of curiosity, would you feel the same way if Price was the goaltender that let in 8 goals? Ellis has played solid all season and it seems somewhat foolish to completely eliminate his chances based on one bad scrimmage.

Maybe Ellis don't have the head to play at the WJC...

You're talking about a guy who didn't played well in the playoffs and who cried at the draft because he wasn't picked in the first 5 round...

And as a Habs fan, if Price would have allowed 8 goals, I would have had to say that maybe he should wait a year...

Canucksrock

Feb 4, 2005
Caledon
Every goalie plays in Canada vs UBC game 2 goalies play for UBC - put Ellis/Dubnyk as UBC goaltenders lets see how many goals Team Canada can rack up then :sarcasm:

richardn

Mar 6, 2004
Sault Ste. Marie
Freaky Habs Fan said:
Maybe Ellis don't have the head to play at the WJC...

You're talking about a guy who didn't played well in the playoffs and who cried at the draft because he wasn't picked in the first 5 round...

That is what I was thinking

Dream Big

Jun 10, 2005
Axis Mundi
My observations of the Red and White intersquad game for Tuesday Dec. 14, 2005.
Team White was offensively much stronger faster overall.

Line of Bertram, Toews and Pyatt (white)played well together. Bertram very fast, Pyatt fast and Toews steady. This would make a good third line combo.

Cogliano (white) is very shifty-I am a new fan. Bolland looked good. Chipchura (white) looked okay.
Rogers and Staal (white)as a D team looked okay. Pokulok (white) D stood out.

Ryan Parent D for red team is very fast-did not get a real good sense of his overall d ability as red team overwhelmed. Chucko-Red Team not the best skater but good use of size in around the net and on side walls. Pouliot (red) got under Bourdon's (white)skin big time.

No one else stood out to me but then the 15 minute periods went very quickly with very few penalities. Didn't notice Esposito at all even though I was keeping an eye out for him.
The camera crews were there tonight. Farhan Lalji, Bob McKenzie. Sutter brother Darryl attending.

Greg7

Feb 5, 2004
People are using very flawed logic here. This isn't four randomly selected goalies that they have to choose between; each of them is here because they deserve to be, and particularly this year, they all came in on essentially equal footing. They all knew coming in that basically a game and a half plus a few practices was going to be the deciding factor in who makes the team. This camp is what the goaltending is being chosen on, and so far they're making it easy because the performances have been so obviously contrasted.

Ultimately everyone should be hoping that Price earns the job anyway, because of the four goalies when they are all at the top of their games, Price is the best of them. Obviously you can't give him the spot unless he earns it (which I think he will anyway), but if he does earn it that is excellent news for Canada. I am a little nervous Pogge will win it, which would likely mean average at best goaltending. Don't misinterpret that as me thinking he shouldn't get it - whoever earns it should without question get it - but if Pogge is indeed the best of the 4, that is bad news in my opinion.

turnbuckle*

Digger12 said:

Are you being serious, or are you just sore that Ellis stunk?

The camp competitors going to be playing in the most important tournament of their young lives in 11 days. As has been the case on many occasion for them before, they are at a training camp competing for spots NOW. The two best goaltenders NOW will be picked for the team. The top seven defencemen NOW will be patrolling the blueline.

The summer camp was a good chance for Sutter to get a new group together, and have a look at some players he hasn't seen before. Some of the players impressed him (Latendresse and Downie come to mind), and that, combined with what the players have done so far this season in junior and the NCAA, gave Blair Mackasey and Sutter the basis for selecting the final group of skaters. It is NOW that he will pick his team however. If Downie lags behind and appears to lack some conditioning when competing at this higher level after missing much of the OHL season, Sutter will cut him despite his stellar performance this summer.

If Ellis doesn't stand on his head in his next scrimmage, he will be cut, plain and simple.

Let me ask you this - which players do a coach dress for a first-round playoff match, and which ones are put on the top lines - the players that had solid training camps or the ones that were playing well in March?

I can't see a coach saying to his GM: " Well, Johnson has been in the minors since January and he only scored three goals for us this season, but, dagnabit, he was great in September. Smith on the other hand scored 10 goals in his last 15 games, but man, he really stunk in training camp. Whattaya say we call up Johnson, and put Smith in the press box?"

BJCOLLINS

Jul 7, 2003
Pirate Satellite
turnbuckle said:
Are you being serious, or are you just sore that Ellis stunk?

The camp competitors going to be playing in the most important tournament of their young lives in 11 days. As has been the case on many occasion for them before, they are at a training camp competing for spots NOW. The two best goaltenders NOW will be picked for the team. The top seven defencemen NOW will be patrolling the blueline.

The summer camp was a good chance for Sutter to get a new group together, and have a look at some players he hasn't seen before. Some of the players impressed him (Latendresse and Downie come to mind), and that, combined with what the players have done so far this season in junior and the NCAA, gave Blair Mackasey and Sutter the basis for selecting the final group of skaters. It is NOW that he will pick his team however. If Downie lags behind and appears to lack some conditioning when competing at this higher level after missing much of the OHL season, Sutter will cut him despite his stellar performance this summer.

If Ellis doesn't stand on his head in his next scrimmage, he will be cut, plain and simple.

Let me ask you this - which players do a coach dress for a first-round playoff match, and which ones are put on the top lines - the players that had solid training camps or the ones that were playing well in March?

I can't see a coach saying to his GM: " Well, Johnson has been in the minors since January and he only scored three goals for us this season, but, dagnabit, he was great in September. Smith on the other hand scored 10 goals in his last 15 games, but man, he really stunk in training camp. Whattaya say we call up Johnson, and put Smith in the press box?"

good point. :clap:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad