Salary Cap: Anybody still crying about Reilly Smith

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
with all due respect mister lou, backlund is a much better player than smith. maybe the numbers don't tell you that story, but this guy is a stud in his own zone. and he's a center. shorthanded threat and i think the best is still yet to come with him offensively. don't see an upside past 60 points, but what he gives you in all 3 zones is a much better player than reilly smith.

ashnathan

Apr 22, 2014
Australia
I don't think anyone was saying he wasn't grtting market value. I think it was more the fact they didn't want him here or to be paid market value.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
with all due respect mister lou, backlund is a much better player than smith. maybe the numbers don't tell you that story, but this guy is a stud in his own zone. and he's a center. shorthanded threat and i think the best is still yet to come with him offensively. don't see an upside past 60 points, but what he gives you in all 3 zones is a much better player than reilly smith.

Smith could easily play PK in this league as well... Hopefully he is given the shot this year.

Backlund is awful on face-offs, and admittedly takes the body better than Smith, but Smith hits as much, blocks as much ... Backlund is a puck hound defensively..I'd still take Smith over him easily.

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
$3.5 per for Smith is still a bad deal. So yes...

The only bad thing about his contract is that it is only for 1y. Chiarelli should have bought low with his off year and get a 3y deal at that money. Now, if he gets back to his rookie 20g-50pts type of season, he will be able to ask for more than 3.4M on his next deal.

Stone Clode

Kicks him, stunner!!
Jun 1, 2010
Swansea, MA
The only bad thing about his contract is that it is only for 1y. Chiarelli should have bought low with his off year and get a 3y deal at that money. Now, if he gets back to his rookie 20g-50pts type of season, he will be able to ask for more than 3.4M on his next deal.

Smith's contract is 2 years.

Bruins78

Apr 12, 2007
I actually wanted the Bruins to trade down and take Backlund the year they drafted Hamill. I think he went 20th overall. He dropped quite a few spots due to an injury and I didn't like our options at #8 (didn't like Hamill... or Couture) and thought he had the highest ceiling. Lot of injuries but he's been a solid all around guy when healthy,

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
Smith really sucked last year.

'14-'15 brought down his entire line. That guy has some delicate confidence.

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
I don't care about other teams. Let them do what they want. I'm pissed that OUR team gave him that contract.

Reilly Smith will never have to buy himself a beer. He set the market for all of the young and semi-proven players in the league. I bet Backlund said "Look at what Reilly Smith got. Why can't I have that?" And it ain't because he's a good player on a great team anymore.

Banded Peak

Apr 15, 2015
Smith could easily play PK in this league as well... Hopefully he is given the shot this year.

Backlund is awful on face-offs, and admittedly takes the body better than Smith, but Smith hits as much, blocks as much ... Backlund is a puck hound defensively..I'd still take Smith over him easily.

Why exactly?

Smith is soft and one dimensional. When he's not scoring he's completely useless.

Backlund doesn't need to score to be effective. He's everything a defensive center should be but he can put the puck in the net. When he finally got healthy and Hartley took over he finally turned the corner.

Seems to me you're reading a stat line and haven't watched him play a ton I you'd take Reilly over him. Could be wrong but that's my feeling.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
The backlund deal might not be relevent to smith but i think it helps put chris kelly into perspective. Defensive sound centers with leadership get 3 mill even if they do average under 15 goals and 35 points. I can show at least 10 teams that have paid chris kelly level centers this type of money.

One can argue is any 3rd liner should be getting 3 mill but one cant argue that we over paid kelly market value. In fact i dont see a single contract on our team that i believe is above market value.

Our cap issue is because we won... not because we overpaid

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
Sophomore slumps are a real occurrence. Reilly Smith is young & has alread scored 20 goals & 50 points in a season. Potential is there. $3.45m isn't a ridiculous number. If Smith goes out & scores 20 goals again his contract will be considered a steal.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
The backlund deal might not be relevent to smith but i think it helps put chris kelly into perspective. Defensive sound centers with leadership get 3 mill even if they do average under 15 goals and 35 points. I can show at least 10 teams that have paid chris kelly level centers this type of money.

One can argue is any 3rd liner should be getting 3 mill but one cant argue that we over paid kelly market value. In fact i dont see a single contract on our team that i believe is above market value.

Our cap issue is because we won... not because we overpaid

I'd argue Kelly's term was more of an issue than his actual cap dollars. At least 1 year too long, maybe 2.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
What is going to be hilarious is when Smith puts up another two seasons like his 1st here and gets a contract probably in the 5/5 range. Then all the armchair GM's are gonna have a stroke. Get it over it people Smith was not the only guy who sucked on this team last year, every last one of them did.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Why exactly?

Smith is soft and one dimensional. When he's not scoring he's completely useless.

Backlund doesn't need to score to be effective. He's everything a defensive center should be but he can put the puck in the net. When he finally got healthy and Hartley took over he finally turned the corner.

Seems to me you're reading a stat line and haven't watched him play a ton I you'd take Reilly over him. Could be wrong but that's my feeling.

Where does Smith rank among forwards on this team in hits , take aways and blocks ?

Backlunds a third line center , 3,5 million per. Smith can play either wing any of the lines and play well .

I've seen enough of Backlund to know id take Smith over him easily . He's played two less seasons and already out producing him and will only get better .

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
I don't care about other teams. Let them do what they want. I'm pissed that OUR team gave him that contract.

Reilly Smith will never have to buy himself a beer. He set the market for all of the young and semi-proven players in the league. I bet Backlund said "Look at what Reilly Smith got. Why can't I have that?" And it ain't because he's a good player on a great team anymore.

You really need to look around and see what many, and I mean many other player who achieve a lot less than Smith are making.

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
Cam Atkinson - 26yrs old:
2013/2014 - 21G 19A 40P +/- -4
2014/2015 - 22G 18A 40P +/- -2

Reilly Smith - 24yrs old:
2013/2014 - 20G 31A 51P +/- 28
2014/2015 - 13G 27A 40P +/- 7

Atkinson gets paid $3.5 million for 3 more years
Smith gets paid $3.425 million for 2 more years

Smith's contract is not an albatross, and he does have value across the league. With that said, I don't see how he has a future on this team as a RW with Pastrnak and Connolly in the fold, especially if we are still looking for a top 6 RW. He could play 3rd line LW, but I would rather look to trade him just because I feel like a trade involving him could help us in other areas, not because he is overpaid, which is not true.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad