Anybody ready to pull out the tank machine yet?

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
Not a full tank but there’s some valuable spare parts to unload if we fall way out.

Skinner — sign or trade him? No definitive word on NMC.

Bogosian — I’m 100% good on selling. He’s got some term, had a decent season. Has value for once. I don’t want to resign him given injury history. If we do, pray for three years or less.

Scandella — He also has term and will get us something

Beaulieu — Not much value but RFA. I’m good with selling.

Sabotka — Have to eat half the contract. Forget it.

Pominville — Does Ontario need someone to line up with Moulson?

Larsson/Girgensons — I actually like these guys as depth players.

BuiltTagonTough

Stand still laddy!
Jul 2, 2009
Buffalo
Hell no. Sign Skinner, get what depth you can without selling the farm, and fill in a few holes next year with Nylander, Oloffson, and whatever trades and FA signings. I'm not against selling pieces at the deadline if the value is there, but I'm looking for players, not picks, at this point.

Reactions: sabremike

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
I like how simply being a seller (or even just selling a few old pieces/pieces with potentially no future here) any given year is now known as tanking, but maybe "not a full tank". :laugh:

Last edited:

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Nope.

Only thing I would like to see is Botts address the quality of our bottom 6. We need improvement, and I'm not that comfortable right now bringing a mass exodus of Rochester players without seeing them first in NHL action, in the offseason. We need to see them and their progress right now. I liked Smith, but he's going to need to show me more that he's more valuable than a player I could sign in free agency before I'm inking him into the roster.

At the moment, I'm not seeing a path to bring so many guys up to see where they are.

Reactions: 1point21Gigawatts

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
I like how simply being a seller (or even just selling a few old pieces/pieces with potentially no future here) any given year is now known as tanking, but maybe "not a full tank". :laugh:

That’s the language everybody uses. I agree it’s dumb. Intentially tanking is starting players who others wise shouldn’t have started — to try and lose. Trading expiring contracts makes sense. Sabres “tank” really was just selling — radio people turned into a thing and fans cheering for Arizona in our own rink set our reputation in stone.

Sorry, that was an ugly sight. It is why we own the reputation and our idiot GM.

In truth, Leafs tanked worse for Matthews. They played Garrett Sparks instead of Jonathan Bernier. Sparks was sent to the AHL the next year. There was no logic behind Sparks’ 17 starts other than to lose. He didn’t make it back to the NHL until two years later and is still mostly a borderline player.

Reactions: sabremike

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Anybody reading? Am I missing something?

Did you mean to say anybody ready?

If that’s what you meant. Well, tanking requires us trading away the Eichel, Reinhart, Skinner, Risto, and Dahlin. Hell, let’s trade away Hutton and ride Ullmark into the ground with 95% of the starts too. That’s the proper way to tank and get to the basement and stay there. :thumbu:

Oh? That’s not what you meant by tanking? Well getting rid of most of the best talent on a team to ensure a dead last position... is tanking. Otherwise you’re just rebuilding.

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
Anybody reading? Am I missing something?

Did you mean to say anybody ready?

If that’s what you meant. Well, tanking requires us trading away the Eichel, Reinhart, Skinner, Risto, and Dahlin. Hell, let’s trade away Hutton and ride Ullmark into the ground with 95% of the starts too. That’s the proper way to tank and get to the basement and stay there. :thumbu:

Oh? That’s not what you meant by tanking? Well getting rid of most of the best talent on a team to ensure a dead last position... is tanking. Otherwise you’re just rebuilding.

That's a pretty restrictive definition, and I'm not sure that it fits here. The Great Leaf Finesse of 2015-16 comes to mind.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
That's a pretty restrictive definition, and I'm not sure that it fits here. The Great Leaf Finesse of 2015-16 comes to mind.

trade off semi-valuable vets at the deadline for 2nd and 3rd round picks and rebild on the fly? What vets are desired around the league lol?

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
I meant that "tank" doesn't have to include complete turnover. Kadri and Reilly stuck around, etc.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad