Any update on Brayden Coburn?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taxman

Dec 9, 2003
Visit site
I thought it was a mistake, as did other Thrasher fan friends of mine, when the Thrashers took Coburn instead of Phaneuf (who was taken the very next pick). I like Phaneuf's hard hitting style more than Coburn's.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Honest answer - no. Phaneuf and Suter are widening the gap with their development. Phaneuf and Suter just seem more assertive and hungry.

I want to like Coburn (good Saskatchewan boy and all) but I find his game maddening. Big, strong but doesn't seem to want or like to play a punishing, physical game. And don't see alot of offensive upside. My observations come from watching Coburn at the past two Team Canada Summer Camps and work in the Dub.

Coburn's been serviceable in the World Junior Tournament. Safe, defensive game but imo lagging behind all defenders except Syvret.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I think he's a bit of a doofus on the ice. I'll admit, I'm down on him, but the raw skills are evident.

Moving further and further away from Suter/Phaneuf.

leafaholix*

He's been average at the WJC.

The gap between him and the two mentioned is tremendous... the other two are can't miss, franchise defensemen. Coburn may soon be considered a bust, I can't see him as a top 4 defenseman in the NHL... he's big and strong, but I don't see it.

leafaholix*

AgentNaslund said:
So far, hes one of the worst defencemens Canada have.
He was okay vs. Finland.

A big disappointment in the other games.

Coburn and Barker were major disappointments... as well as Syvret, but he's not a top 10 pick in the draft.

AgentNaslund*

I thought Barker was ok. He was at least doing something, like creating offensive chances, Barker is at least good for something. Coburn hasnt been impressive at all.

Nimrods Son

He is a bust but I probably would have taken him over Phaneuf at the draft as well.

18 is just too young to draft these guys. We need a 19 or even better, 20 year old draft.

leafaholix*

Nimrods Son said:
He is a bust but I probably would have taken him over Phaneuf at the draft as well.

18 is just too young to draft these guys. We need a 19 or even better, 20 year old draft.
That would help a lot of organizations

AgentNaslund*

Nimrods Son said:

strongly agreed. This years draft class 2005, should be drafted by the end of the new season which probably be by 2006 that way, everyones age, is at least 1 year older, and they can start that format, by having every prospect a year older. Its will every all 30 teams. This 1 year makes a huge diffrence for these guys.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
Nimrods Son said:

Won't ever happen...18 is an adult 18 is when these kids have a right to start their chosen profession even if only 2 or 3 per draft jump right into to the NHL.

look at the NFL with the 18 yr olds taking the league to court for not letting them into the draft.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
McDonald19 said:
Won't ever happen...18 is an adult 18 is when these kids have a right to start their chosen profession even if only 2 or 3 per draft jump right into to the NHL.

look at the NFL with the 18 yr olds taking the league to court for not letting them into the draft.
and how did those guys do in court against the NFL?

Wolfpack

Jul 9, 2004
I must be out to lunch, because from what I've seen Coburn has played pretty well throughout this tournament. He has obviously been told by the coaches that his role is that of a defensive defenceman, and I'm guessing he has been instructed to let players like Phaneuf, Barker and Sevret create offensive chances.

Phaneuf is a great player, but the more MaGuire dotes on him, the less I like him.

I have not been impressed at all with Suter. He just doesn't look like a game-breaker to me, like so many seem to be claiming that he is.

SmokeyClause

Feb 27, 2002
Miami, FL
Visit site
triggrman said:
My question is

Has Shea Weber closed the gap on Coburn and Barker?

I'd love to hear some thoughts on this. I've only seen bits and pieces of Weber's performance for Canada. He looks great from what I can tell. But I wouldn't imagine they aren't going to be showing his lowlights.

looooob

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Rather Gingerly 1 said:
Could Staal be this year's Coburn?
can you clarify this? they are from the same draft class, I believe?

are you saying that you see Staal falling behind his peers (Horton et al?)

Rather Gingerly 1*

All Star United said:
I think he was referring to Marc... not Eric.

That's right I was referring to Marc Staal...Eric's brother. Haven't heard much from him lately. Has he slide in the rankings?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad