Any Sullivan Defenders Left?

Are you on the Sully train?

• Total voters

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
He’s not single handedly THE problem but he’s one of the reasons this team hasn’t reached its full potential over the last six seasons, and won’t this season either…

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Sullivan's very good at a lot of things.

Unfortunately I have a sneaking suspicion that his old stubborn habits of forcing square pegs into round holes will again fail to maximize the roster. Wouldnt be surprised if decisions like GCRust and keeping Letang on the #1PP are recurring, season-long problems that hamper our offense. With how the bottom 6 is constructed, we can't afford for either to sputter.

Hope I'm wrong.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Sullivan and Bylsma's trajectories are almost identical. Come in as a breath of fresh air, have immediate and ultimate success, and then slowly slip into sheer stubbornness with diminishing results.

Sullivan has the extra good year at the beginning and my gut is he is a better coach, so I would still rank him ahead of Bylsma, but I don't think there is some vast gap between them. At least not until Sullivan has some success again, here or elsewhere.

The flip side is also true, though. If he goes somewhere else and faceplants like Bylsma, a lot more people will look back critically on the Sullivan era and how they wasted the last viable years of Crosby-Malkin.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
He helped them win two cups and then subsequently contributed mightily with preventing this core from every competing to challenge for a cup ever again.

Whether he's a good coach isn't the debate, the real question is, was he the right coach moving forward after 18 to current; and that answer is a resounding NO.

Sideline

May 23, 2004
Why?

Bylsma got bad goaltending, had a worse roster and still managed to not lose five playoff series in a row and then miss the playoffs.
Byslma ran MTs system to a cup and then just ran stretch passes for like 5 years with no adjustments. I will grant you the goaltending was not reliable, but never forget Glass and Adams were superstars in the eyes of Disco Dan. They made Penguins Jeff Carter look like Kings Jeff Carter.

Reactions: bathroomSTAAL

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Very good coach, maybe the best in the league but imo all NHL coaches get stale and he’s just been here too long. I don’t think we’d get a better coach in terms of ability but I do think if this team is mid a Sully firing would be the easiest jolt.

Not losing my mind over him but he’s been frustrating the last couple years. Most of the failure is on the players however.

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
Why?

Bylsma got bad goaltending, had a worse roster and still managed to not lose five playoff series in a row and then miss the playoffs.
Bylsma had three future Hall of Famers in their prime who could carry the team, not three guys doing their best to fend off Father Time in the final seasons of their careers.

Oh, and if Bylsma got bad goaltending, what do we call Tristan Jarry against the Islanders and Louis Domingue against the Rangers?

Last edited:

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I started to question whether he was actually as good as the back to backs made him seem when he just kinda shrugged and let the team get slaughtered by the Isles forecheck in 2019, but I also knew JR assembled the least mobile, dogshit blueline so there was still some wiggle room re: Sully. I kinda knew he was no longer the guy this team needed when he kept throwing JJ and Schultz--two of the worst individual blueliners the Crosby era's had at that point in their careers--out against Montreal over and over in important situations, and as a pairing no less. That was some high comedy coaching. :laugh:

Do I think he's an absolute dunce? No. Do I think he's Bylsma? No. Does that matter if his spiteful stubbornness can and will undo all of his smarts and continually lead to the same end result; disappointing results and lackluster hockey? Also no.

He's a problem, but he's also pretty much revered as a legend in the sport everywhere but this board, and this organization swoons over the guy to the point where it's no longer worth it to give a single f*** about what Sully does or says. He's here and tbh I'm not sure he can do anything to get fired--he'd have to decide he no longer wants to coach this team. They handed him an extension two years before his current deal was even up following his fourth straight 1st round exit (then his team missed the playoffs). That's how much they couldn't help themselves and how awful the mere thought of "losing" Sullivan was. :laugh:

Although, I don't know how some of you have the brain power to constantly shit your pants over the most obvious and predictable behavior from a guy who has shown his whole ass for years at this point. Sully's the epitome of what sucks about NHL coaches, he's the poster boy for it, but still some people act like he's some anomaly and not part of the 99% of guys who do and say all the same shit. For every Marty St. Louis who will try to let guys flourish creatively and isn't afraid to invest in a younger guy's game if he thinks there's something there, there's about 100 other NHL coaches just like Mike Sullivan. /shrug

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I don't agree with everything Sully does, however I just don't believe his coaching makes that big of a difference in the scheme of things. He's not an obvious bad coach like the Ubricao's or Angottis of the world.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad