Any really good hockey documentaries?

Brodie

HACK THE BONE! HACK THE BONE!
Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
Hey HoH!

I've been out of the loop on the NHL for a while. The last lockout really dented my interest, the Wings descent into mediocrity didn't help. However the past two years worth of awesome playoffs have pulled me back in and now I'm looking for content!

I just finished my third watch through of Ken Burns' baseball series and I would love to watch a cool history of hockey doc. I know there's nothing out there with quite the level of intensity Burns brings, but anything remotely comparable would be of interest. Thanks!

Reactions: singlesliceofcheese

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Legends of Hockey (produced by TSN in the mid-90s) is the closest thing I have seen to a Ken Burns-style hockey documentary. It has probably been 20 years since I watched it, but it was excellent as I recall.

Reactions: Fixxer and shello

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
History of the Boston Bruins - a full in depth history from the beginning put together by NESN. Many interviews from countless former players and lots of archived footage going back to the 30s

Part 1

Part 2

Bobby Orr and the Big Bad Bruins

Reactions: Tarantula

Pominville Knows

Sep 28, 2012
Down Under
'Hockey-A Peoples History' is like 10x45 minutes long and each segment is generally about one decade from the game's inception. The first ones are more than one decade becouse of i guess a lack of video from back then, although they use actors to portray it instead.
Its overall good although the european part of the game gets less attention, possibly or perhaps probably due to the series theme being about the birth of Canada and the game of hockey there.

Last edited:

Brodie

HACK THE BONE! HACK THE BONE!
Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
Thanks for all the suggestions!

'Hockey-A Peoples History' is like 10x45 minutes long and each segment is generally about one decade from the game's inception. The first ones are more than one decade becouse of i guess a lack of video from back then, although they use actors to portray it instead.
Its overall good although the european part of the game gets less attention, possibly or perhaps probably due to the series theme being about the birth of Canada and the game of hockey there.

This is very "Baseball"esque... clearly heavily influenced by it!

greyraven8

Dec 24, 2007
Thunder Bay, ON
Like others, Hockey A People's History is the first thing that comes to mind.

The ones below are more time/topic specific but might also interest you.

Remember the book more than the movie but Net Worth might be worth a view for you:

Saw 'Red Army' at a local film festival years ago. Liked it then. Extended preview here (out on dvd and other):

Haven't watched this yet but loved his 'Tropic of Hockey' book:

Pominville Knows

Sep 28, 2012
Down Under
This is a documentary made by Sweden's national broadcaster SVT, something right up their alley becouse it is about a communist regime's hockey program centered around the soviet team of the eighties. It contains english subtitles and i'm sure there are some interviews in english there as well, Larionov for example.

Last edited:
Reactions: steleh

Pominville Knows

Sep 28, 2012
Down Under
Thanks for all the suggestions!

This is very "Baseball"esque... clearly heavily influenced by it!
I would not know, aside from that I for some reason come to think of the Winter Classic thing they used to do going into it. Good pulse there.
Still, the series is sound even including the first episode's speculation about the game's roots which still to this day is somewhat of mystery although that probably is much due to the monstrous wild winter that faced the europeans in their new country, so too few records remains. But they did mention Bandy which is probably much of the right ticket to go. Another matter that that game then evolved in its own way paralleled to ice hockey. Obviously the canadian version then came back over the ocean to start yet another new type that is sometimes referred to as 'big ice hockey' and we have guys like Bibi Torriani, Mike Buckna, Vsevolod Bobrov, Ulf Sterner, Valery Kharlamov, Börje Salming, Jari Kurri, Peter Forsberg and Erik Karlsson to show for it.

Last edited:

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
I'll agree with Legends of Hockey. How about "A Year in the Life of the NHL" from 1998? It was a 6 part series. Loved it. Another one-off was in 1996 called "Forever Rivals" between the Canadiens and the Maple Leafs. I loved it and it is still on YouTube. It was really touching seeing the clips from the closing of the Forum. One of the big things that came up there was during the next expansion that the Habs and Leafs ought to be in the same division. Everyone seemed to agree with that.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
It won't surprise anyone that The Boys on the Bus (1987) is my favorite. It's really a remarkably insightful look at the Oilers in their glory-days. Very intimate portrait from 'documentarians' who spent time with the team in 1986 (fully expecting them to win the Cup...but they didn't) and through 1986-87 (when they got the Cup back).

Sadly, the documentary is also notable today as being in painful opposition to the franchise's current trainwreck status.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad