Any one else worried that we haven't heard anything about Greene?

• Thread starter Captain Mittens*
  • Start date

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
It's the playoffs, we aren't gonna get any specifics about any injury, though it was said a few days ago that Greene is unlikely to play in this series (duh).

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
I want Greene at 100%, the Kings don't need him to get injured again.

That is all the Kings need, another hurt D man for next year.

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
I've already written off seeing Greene this playoff run. If the boys can finish off the Blues without him, that's a pretty good accomplishment. If Greene somehow makes it back into the lineup, fantastic. But until then outa sight outa mind.

bobafettish*

they've played the majority of games without him. have to play as though he wont be coming back. would be worried if it carried into next year though.

Puck U

2012 SC CHAMPIONS !
Aug 2, 2005
Apple Valley, CA.
Hey at least it's not groin pulls.

:sarcasm: that's actually what I read somewhere ... Greene suffered a Groin pull pushing his comeback too fast, back-to-back games ... and would be out at least until the end of the BLUES Series. ;)
I'd expect him to be back sometime during Round 2 provided of course we actually DO put the Blues away :sarcasm:

Puck U

2012 SC CHAMPIONS !
Aug 2, 2005
Apple Valley, CA.
We need at least one veteran defenseman acquisition this offseason. Two to be safe.

If by resigning Regehr and Scuderi is what you mean, sure OK, otherwise ...

DOUGHTY, SCUDERI, REGEHR, VOYNOV, MITCHELL, GREENE, MARTENIZ, MUZZIN, ELLERBY (That's NINE D-men, don't count Mitchell out for next year just yet.)

Where is anyone else gonna play ? :sarcasm: we'll most likely actually LOSE one or more ...

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
If by resigning Regehr and Scuderi is what you mean, sure OK, otherwise ...

DOUGHTY, SCUDERI, REGEHR, VOYNOV, MITCHELL, GREENE, MARTENIZ, MUZZIN, ELLERBY (That's NINE D-men, don't count Mitchell out for next year just yet.)

Where is anyone else gonna play ? :sarcasm: we'll most likely actually LOSE one or more ...

Regehr and Scuderi will stay. However, we need someone to replace Mitchell.

Doughty, Voynov, Greene, Martinez, Muzzin.

Send Ellerby down to the AHL for a year of development.

My biggest question mark is will someone be traded in a Bernier deal?

We have quite the defensive core.

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
:sarcasm: That's actually what i read somewhere ... Greene suffered a groin pull pushing his comeback too fast, back-to-back games ... And would be out at least until the end of the blues series. ;)
i'd expect him to be back sometime during round 2 provided of course we actually do put the blues away :sarcasm:

zOMG NO WAI

agentfouser

Playoffs?!?!
Nov 30, 2003
Los Angeles

I totally agree, adding a solid defender is a must; more important than a scoring winger, in my view. Further, we need someone who can slot in more toward the top of the depth chart than the bottom, because guys like Greene and Martinez are far more effective when given more sheltered minutes. It's not at all clear to me that Regher will stay (he's a free agent after this year, right?), and I think Ellerby and Muzzin are the 7th defenseman or in the AHL.

Puck U

2012 SC CHAMPIONS !
Aug 2, 2005
Apple Valley, CA.
I totally agree, adding a solid defender is a must; more important than a scoring winger, in my view. Further, we need someone who can slot in more toward the top of the depth chart than the bottom, because guys like Greene and Martinez are far more effective when given more sheltered minutes. It's not at all clear to me that Regher will stay (he's a free agent after this year, right?), and I think Ellerby and Muzzin are the 7th defenseman or in the AHL.

Regehr IS the short term Mitchell replacement. IF he can't return you look at maybe upgrading that player later, but Regehr will look better the longer he plays and practices with the team.

Yes Regehr AND Scuderi are both UFA's at the end of this season, but Dean has said he wants to bring BOTH back at one time or another.
... and Voynov, Martinez, Muzzin and Ellerby are all RFA's I think ? Voynov is the only guy that will get a BIG time RAISE out of that pack, and I can see Dean wanting to retain all of them, unless one is part of a BERNIER trade or something during the Draft ?
A LOT will depend on what we KNOW and/or DON'T KNOW about the Health of Willie Mitchell before July 1st.

IF everyone comes back ... we have FIVE ... STAY @ HOMEs (PK'ers) ;
Regehr, Scuderi, Mitchell, Greene, Ellerby (he'd have to clear waivers to be sent to AHL?)
and FOUR ... Puck Movers (PP'ers) ;
Doughty, Voynov, Martinez, Muzzin

again how many NHL quality defenseman can we carry ? NOT NINE, we won't be ADDING more ? maybe upgrading, but WHO ?

What UFA D-man would be an Upgrade over Regehr or Scuderi ? http://capgeek.com/ufa-finder/?position_id=D Frankly I don't see any ?
If it's a trade WHO do we get ? and WHO do we give up to get him ?

Last edited:

Crosby87Domi11

Jan 29, 2013
Locust Grove,VA
Regehr IS the short term Mitchell replacement. IF he can't return you look at maybe upgrading that player later, but Regehr will look better the longer he plays and practices with the team.

Yes Regehr AND Scuderi are both UFA's at the end of this season, but Dean has said he wants to bring BOTH back at one time or another.
... and Voynov, Martinez, Muzzin and Ellerby are all RFA's I think ? Voynov is the only guy that will get a BIG time RAISE out of that pack, and I can see Dean wanting to retain all of them, unless one is part of a BERNIER trade or something during the Draft ?
A LOT will depend on what we KNOW and/or DON'T KNOW about the Health of Willie Mitchell before July 1st.

Regehr, Scuderi, Mitchell, Greene, Ellerby (he'd have to clear waivers to be sent to AHL?)and FOUR ... Puck Movers (PP'ers) ;

again how many NHL quality defenseman can we carry ? NOT NINE, we won't be ADDING more ? maybe upgrading, but WHO ?

What UFA D-man would be an Upgrade over Regehr or Scuderi ? http://capgeek.com/ufa-finder/?position_id=D Frankly I don't see any ?

im not sure but its definately possible

tigermask48

Maniacal Laugh
Mar 10, 2004
R'Lyeh, Antarctica
To add a bit to what Puck U said above, we willl no more once the RFA deadline rolls around. I think DL will try to have both Scuderi and Regehr (and hopefully Voynov) re-signed by then, and then the possibility of adding anyone via trade or FA becomes a matter of what happens with Ellerby. If the Kings qualify him and he stays an RFA he's in their future plans, if not then that's where the upgrade either via trade or FA will be made.

When healthy the Kings hopefully have d-core of;
Doughty-Regehr
Voynov-Scuderi
Martinez-Greene
Muzzin/Ellerby/or one of the AHL guys like Forbort/Campbell/etc.

I see it as all hinging on whether Ellerby is considered a short term replacement for Greene or a future asset.

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
It might just be the voices in my head, but I think it's time to freak out.

If I'm DL, I don't say a word.

The lack of word on Greene lies with the media, not with DL. If this was Toronto or Montreal we'd know what's up because the media pressure would be intense. They may not find out what is the cause of the injury (usually they only get 'upper-body' or 'lower body' injury) but they would be asking daily for updates on his condition, when he'd be back, any improvement/regression, etc.

The lack of media pressure in LA is what allows DL and DS to stay mum on this and get away with it.

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
To add a bit to what Puck U said above, we willl no more once the RFA deadline rolls around. I think DL will try to have both Scuderi and Regehr (and hopefully Voynov) re-signed by then, and then the possibility of adding anyone via trade or FA becomes a matter of what happens with Ellerby. If the Kings qualify him and he stays an RFA he's in their future plans, if not then that's where the upgrade either via trade or FA will be made.

When healthy the Kings hopefully have d-core of;
Doughty-Regehr
Voynov-Scuderi
Martinez-Greene
Muzzin/Ellerby/or one of the AHL guys like Forbort/Campbell/etc.

I see it as all hinging on whether Ellerby is considered a short term replacement for Greene or a future asset.

We might have a pretty good idea about that this off-season, because they can negotiate a new deal with Greene on July 5th as he is going into his last year.

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
We might have a pretty good idea about that this off-season, because they can negotiate a new deal with Greene on July 5th as he is going into his last year.

They can negotiate it anytime, they just can't sign/announce it until July 5th. They did the same with Quick last year, his deal was in place very quickly after the cup finals, but they had to wait a day or two (or more) to actually announce it.

agentfouser

Playoffs?!?!
Nov 30, 2003
Los Angeles

Regehr, Scuderi, Mitchell, Greene, Ellerby (he'd have to clear waivers to be sent to AHL?)
and FOUR ... Puck Movers (PP'ers) ;

At this point, one has to plan as though Mitchell is not coming back, so scratch that name off the list right there. So, for your top-four, "core" defensemen, the guys that will play more than 20 minutes each night, the Kings have Doughty and Voynov moving forward (obviously Lombardi signs Voynov to a substantial contract, long-term). Scuderi can play that role, but he's going to turn 35 next year. Regher can play that role, although not (in my view) as well as Scuderi and certainly not anywhere nearly as effectively as Mitchell was, as in my view he doesn't make first passes that are as effective as any of our other top-four guys. Regher is essentially a slightly older and perhaps slightly more effective Matt Greene. Further, Regher will be 34 next year. This creates a top four of two young, excellent two-way defensemen and two decent defensive guys, but it's not as good as it was with Mitchell, and it's getting older, and thus more injury-prone. That's not an elite top-four. It's good, it would get the Kings into the playoffs, but I have a hard time seeing that defense shutting down teams the way it did in the cup year.

Below that top four, the "NHL quality defensemen" you name are all bottom-pairing guys. Greene, Martinez, Muzzin, Ellerby--none of those guys does well when they don't get protected minutes. If you put them into roles where they have to consistently match up against tough opposition, they get exposed. So, it doesn't really matter how many of these guys we have, because there's only so many slots for the roles that they will excel in.

Unless the Kings get another defender who is an upgrade on Regher or Scuderi, you're talking about going into next season with a defense whose depth is illusory. You have to KNOW that we're going to lose 40 to 80 man games to injury in a given season, and without a more robust top-four, we're going to be stuck in the same position then that we are now: pushing under-qualified players into difficult situations, where they can be exposed.

Now, obviously, well-rounded top-four defensemen don't grow on trees, and it simply may not be within Lombardi's power to acquire one. However, I think a player who properly fills Mitchell's role should be the top priority, well before a scoring winger.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Not worried at all. Kings have to win with him as much as without him. Given the fact the Kings went all season without, I'm working under the assumption this roster is the roster.

I'll worry about it in the offseason, and if need be, the regular season. Though I hope he's well no matter what.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad