OT: Any Oilers fans on the Sunshine Coast?

TripleP

Apr 1, 2007
Bit of a weird question but are there any Oilers fans on BC's Sunshine Coast, specifically Gibsons? I'm born and raised in Edmonton but my wife and I recently made the move to the coast and I love it EXCEPT I don't have any hockey watchin' buddies.

I'd be really interested in meet other long suffering Oilers fans in my (new) neck of the woods.

Gambl0r83*

I drove to BC with a couple buds, all separate cars. First night, all of our windows get smashed b/c of our Alberta license plates. 5'6 145 lb soak and wet bro gets jumped by a couple hooligans on the way to 7-11 b/c he was wearing an oilers hat.

I think it's safe to say, finding an oilers fan in BC is a needle in a haystack

StupidGenius

Apr 1, 2013
I drove to BC with a couple buds, all separate cars. First night, all of our windows get smashed b/c of our Alberta license plates. 5'6 145 lb soak and wet bro gets jumped by a couple hooligans on the way to 7-11 b/c he was wearing an oilers hat.

I'm sorry to hear about your experience, but I think it's safe to say that's a statement of ignorance, and that the actions of those few are not representative of an entire province.

Gambl0r83*

I'm sorry to hear about your experience, but I think it's safe to say that's a statement of ignorance, and that the actions of those few are not representative of an entire province.

Go to BC, get your windows smashed and your good buddy beat up. Then question the 'ignorance' of this statement. It was 2 separate events with the same motive. Experience is everything bud

StupidGenius

Apr 1, 2013
Go to BC, get your windows smashed and your good buddy beat up. Then question the 'ignorance' of this statement. It was 2 separate events with the same motive. Experience is everything bud

Been to BC. Drove through Ossuyus, Hope and a couple of other small towns, stopping off for snacks and to spend the night on the way to Vancouver. Made the trip in an orange car with blue stripes, Oilers seat and steering wheel covers, stickers all over the back windshield.

Watched an Oilers-Canucks game in some bar in downtown Vancouver on that trip. Wore my jersey, and cheered loudly when we scored. A few people around us booed us in completely good nature, and asked if we were local fans, or just in town. They bought us a round when we told them we were visiting BC for the first time. I got beaked by a couple of passers-by, again, in good nature, and that was about the extent of British Columbians acting maliciously towards us for being Albertans/Oilers fans.

Like I said, I'm sorry to hear about your experience, but to make broad, sweeping generalizations about a province of millions based on your two experiences is the definition of ignorant.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB

sorry for your experience...

I go to B.C every year....sometimes twice due to my sister-in-law living in Vancouver...never happened to me and I regularly wear my Oilers gear around town

I got uncles and cousins in Langley that are Oiler fans and I don't think it's ever happened to them

JoeCool16

Sep 9, 2011
Vancouver

You're just wrong, dude. I live in BC and I'm an Oilers fan and no one has ever done more than laugh at my choice in teams, which has been justified in the last few years. I'm sure if I put on some Canucks gear and sauntered over to Alberta I'd have a shot at getting jumped by a bunch of idiots, but idiots live all around the world, not just in BC.

Unless you went somewhere really sketchy I don't even believe your stories are true. How did you even know your windows got smashed out for Alberta plates? Were you there when it happened, with them hollering "this is what happens to Albertians who come 'round here!"?

Farmboy

Jan 23, 2006
Moved to BC a couple of years ago (Langley). I used to come to Vancouver all the time as my brothers live out on the coast. One pub in Vancouver plays Oilers games - The Black Frog in Gastown. That does not help you in Gibsons.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
I drove to BC with a couple buds, all separate cars. First night, all of our windows get smashed b/c of our Alberta license plates. 5'6 145 lb soaking wet bro gets jumped by a couple hooligans on the way to 7-11 b/c he was wearing an oilers hat.

I've lived in BC my whole life and never had an issue. I lived I Vancouver for a few years, and have Oilers stuff on my car. Plus, I would wear my Oilers jerseys on a regular basis. You are really not painting an accurate picture of BC

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
i went to BC with my alberta license plates and BC guys killed my dog and spit on like 70 kids cause the kids liked the oilers.

AUAIOMRN

Aug 22, 2005
Edmonton

I'm pretty sure almost every single Alberta has been to BC with Alberta plates or some other distinguishing feature.

If you keep having problems, well, I have a feeling it's not BC that's the issue.

backhandsauce

Oct 19, 2009
I live in Vancouver. I always represent the Oilers here behind enemy lines. I don't mid getting chirped at. It's all in good fun.

To the OP the sunshine coast is beautiful. My wife is from Powell River so we make our way through there quite a bit.

Go Oil.

There is an Oiler's bar in Gastown. It's called the Black Frog. I have yet to go there but I will make my way there this year.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
Nice attitude. I'm betting that you would have the same experiences outside of Rexall

SPIRIT

Mar 12, 2014
If you want to drive 5 hours to Kelowna, we can definitely throw down Oil-sanity.

And to the fellow who got stomped in BC... Weird, I strut around 4/7 days a week in Oiler swagger and no one even looks at me side-ways.

Then again, I look kinda loco.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
i went to BC with my alberta license plates and BC guys killed my dog and spit on like 70 kids cause the kids liked the oilers.

Yeah the last time I went to BC, I was decapitated for wearing my Oilers hat. That place is rough.

Actually though, my parents have moved to Southern B.C. and not only are the people super relaxed about who you cheer for, they make it pretty fun to cheer for the opposite side. No qualms any time I go down there during the season.

blue_n_copper

Nov 30, 2006
BC is a big place. In the Columbia Valley and Fernie there are probably more locals cheering for one of the Alberta teams over the Canucks.

I seem to remember a place in Gibsons called the Blackfish Pub that might be an okay place to watch a game. If you are worried about being hassled for your choice of team, maybe you could go over to Roberts Creek. The hippies there wouldn't hurt a fly and even if they wanted to they would be too stoned :)

oilfaninvan

Mar 31, 2004
van
There are tons of Oiler fans in Vancouver, and so many from Edmonton regardless if they like hockey or not.

The Black Frog in Gastown is super fun on Oiler game nights. Great place to meet some Oil buds.

Not sure about sunshine coast though... but it's not too far to come into town on a saturday night.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad