Any new rules you'd like to see?

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
I saw a fight recently where one guy was holding another player's helmet strap with his left hand and twisting his head while trying to hit him with his right. In quite a few fights last year and in a couple this year I saw guys pulling the other player's helmet off during a fight. What I'd like to see is a 2 minute penalty which elevates to an additional immediate game ejection if it's during a fight. On top of that it would be cumulative so if a player does it again he gets suspended for x games.

The purpose is player safety but also it might help to stop a lot of useless fights. Why would guys bother fighting if all they get to hit is helmets and visors. Goons would be less scary and useful since all a player has to do is put his head down when challenged knowing the other guy can't pull his helmet and visor off.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
If I could change one thing about hockey, I'd scrap the instigator penalty.

Secondary would be to reduce the size of goalie pads and put hard rules in place for equipment and how hard they are at the shoulders and elbows.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
Start calling instigator properly.

Remove shootout completely.

Removal of 5min Goons.

Trapezoid gone.

Only call the diver.

Last edited:

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Allow players who are not injured the ability to wear a full cage. For whatever reason, it isn't allowed right now. Give players more safe options with equipment.

Be much more strict calling players wearing helmets that are obviously too loose or overly loose chin straps. (Like the CHL rules.)

No more 3-point games. Have a 10-minute overtime, and if it ends in a tie, so be it.

No more shootouts to determine the winner.....but give refs more leeway to call penalty shots.

krapsik

Nov 13, 2009
Estonia
At a end of the game all penaltys must be played in full. If penalty was taken 1 minute before game ends, game lasts additional minute etc.

BigBush*

Goals that are waived off due to goaltender interference should be reviewable.
Pretty frustrating watching Price draw those penalties and them having big impacts on games

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
Goals that are waived off due to goaltender interference should be reviewable.
Pretty frustrating watching Price draw those penalties and them having big impacts on games

Something like this was altered I think?

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa
At a end of the game all penaltys must be played in full. If penalty was taken 1 minute before game ends, game lasts additional minute etc.

I see where your going but, I'm not sure that would work/be good.

If I'm down by a goal with 10 seconds left in my own end, I'd take a penalty and try to extend the game 2 more minutes and hope we'd score short handed.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
I see where your going but, I'm not sure that would work/be good.

If I'm down by a goal with 10 seconds left in my own end, I'd take a penalty and try to extend the game 2 more minutes and hope we'd score short handed.

Shenanigans would ensue. Imagine what games in Montreal would be like.

Rysto

Oct 3, 2009
The badlands
Here's a minor change that the NHL could easily implement: allow goaltenders to play the puck outside the trapezoid when their team is on the power play. It wouldn't make a big difference but it would allow the goaltender to get the breakout going a little faster in some cases, and it's not like teams on the PK are going to be trying to dump-and-chase.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
That stupid trapezoid is a solution in search of a problem. Ditch it.

I would also end the confusion by simply allowing kicked in goals. The definition right now is so fuzzy that it is leading to huge inconsistency night to night on what goals they allow vs. which ones they don't. That's not the fault of the on-ice officials or the suits reviewing it in Toronto - it's the fault of a poorly written rule. Just open it up and be done with it.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Stable upper player salary limit at $5M per season. Salary floor at $1M per season. Team cap at $50M. If we lose a few superstars to Russia so be it. I'd happily consider it the cost of keeping this league from spiraling out of control in salary.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
1. No penalty called on first occurence of shooting the puck out of play during the game.
2. Eliminate fighting by kicking fighters out of the game; 1 year suspension after 3 fights
3. Award 3 points per game; 3 for regulation time win, 2 for overtime win, 1 for overtime loss.
4. Use shootout to determine OTW and OTL
5. Full cage mask OK for all; mandatory after 5 years.
6. All penalties to be served for full time, not cancelled if a goal is scored.
7. Penalty called during play is not eliminated if a goal is susequently scored before the offending team touches the puck.
8. Team that gets a penalty must clear the puck from their defensive zone, not just touch the puck.
9. Players portion of hockey related revenues to be pooled and each team gets an equal share.
10. All compensation (salary and bonus) paid to players during the season must count towards the team's salary payments for that season.
11. Any team's compensation to players that exceeds the alloted amount must be recovered the next season. See 9 and 10 above.

kilroy

Aug 13, 2007
6. All penalties to be served for full time, not cancelled if a goal is scored.

Used to be the case. Was changed after 1955-56 season when the Canadiens commonly scored multiple times per penalty.

From Wiki:
The NHL changed this rule following the 1955–56 season where the Montreal Canadiens frequently scored multiple goals on one power play. Most famous was a game on November 5, 1955, when Jean Béliveau scored three goals in 44 seconds, all on the same power play, in a 4–2 victory over the Boston Bruins.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penalty_(ice_hockey)#Minor_penalty

Here's my list:
1.) Get rid of the Shootout, go 10 minutes overtime and stick to ties.
2.) 3 points for a win, 1 for a tie, 0 for the loss.
3.) Diving Penalties should be assessed as follows:
a.) Diving penalties CANNOT be called as an offsetting penalty. The diving team still has a penalty to kill in these situations.
b.) The offending player serves a 2 minute minor, AND;
c.) The non-offending team is awarded a penalty shot.
Make it so costly on-ice and players WILL stop.

4.) Require that the head referee be available for the press after each game.
5.) Pre-defined and mandatory minimum suspensions for certain infractions. League disciplinarians can review and ADD to the suspension but not reduce it.
6.) Automatic suspensions for a set number of accumulated 10 minute misconducts and 5 minute major penalties.
7.) Pre-measure all Goaltender equipment (AHL goalies too) at the beginning of the season and mark them in a plainly visible manner. Limit the goalies to two sets of gear per season, barring emergencies.
8.) Increase the width of the net by a few inches, roughly the width of four pucks in a row.

Last edited:

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
1. I would increase roster size by one player from a 23 man roster to a 24 man roster.
2. I would increase the number of players allowed to dress from 20 to 22. This way teams could have two extra defencemen dressed & rotate a pair of defencemen with each line. It might cut down on injuries to defencemen but also have extra defencemen, if one or two get injured during a game. Injuries seem to be on the increase these days.
3. Eliminate the instigator rule & get rid of the trapezoid. Let the goalie play the puck, it's a skill some goalies have & they should be able to show it. Also get rid of the 3rd man in rule, sometimes it's necessary to jump in to prevent a teammate from getting killed.
4. Get rid of the shootout, it had it's day & now it's time has past. Instead make the nets slightly bigger. The players have gotten so much bigger & faster, equipment is bigger, coaches have better systems & there is much less room out there, increase the nets & it should increase scoring. How many goalies in the NHL now are under 6'3", not many I bet.

Hutz

Sep 7, 2007
True. Perhaps the penalty could continue at the start of the next game between those teams. Especially in the playoffs.

Rand0m

Oct 2, 2011
Forget the distinct kicking motion rule, other than using your hand, all goals should be good.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Adopt European rink size for all future arena builds. Would create an interesting difference for teams with the larger ice surface for home games, and cause teams to change their approach to emphasize fast skaters rather than slow big players.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Used to be the case. Was changed after 1955-56 season when the Canadiens commonly scored multiple times per penalty.

From Wiki:
The NHL changed this rule following the 1955–56 season where the Montreal Canadiens frequently scored multiple goals on one power play. Most famous was a game on November 5, 1955, when Jean Béliveau scored three goals in 44 seconds, all on the same power play, in a 4–2 victory over the Boston Bruins.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penalty_(ice_hockey)#Minor_penalty

Here's my list:
1.) Get rid of the Shootout, go 10 minutes overtime and stick to ties.
2.) 3 points for a win, 1 for a tie, 0 for the loss.
3.) Diving Penalties should be assessed as follows:
a.) Diving penalties CANNOT be called as an offsetting penalty. The diving team still has a penalty to kill in these situations.
b.) The offending player serves a 2 minute minor, AND;
c.) The non-offending team is awarded a penalty shot.
Make it so costly on-ice and players WILL stop.

4.) Require that the head referee be available for the press after each game.
5.) Pre-defined and mandatory minimum suspensions for certain infractions. League disciplinarians can review and ADD to the suspension but not reduce it.
6.) Automatic suspensions for a set number of accumulated 10 minute misconducts and 5 minute major penalties.
7.) Pre-measure all Goaltender equipment (AHL goalies too) at the beginning of the season and mark them in a plainly visible manner. Limit the goalies to two sets of gear per season, barring emergencies.
8.) Increase the width of the net by a few inches, roughly the width of four pucks in a row.

A puck is 3 inches diameter, so 4 pucks is 3x4 = 12 inches, or 1 foot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad