Any new/good Oiler highlight videos out there?

488fitter

May 25, 2010
Edmonton
Wow. That "see you again" guy got almost all his clips from that sound of change vid...

Thanks McFitter, this gives me a few more options for my edit.

No problem man. I might be stealing a couple clips myself lol. Looking forward to seeing your vids!

Last edited:

McMozesmadness

5-14-6-1
Feb 17, 2013
Edmonton, AB
Here is my video.

Its my first attempt at one of these. I hope yall enjoy.

I also made a McDavid one, however it needs a bit more work so I may post it later.

488fitter

May 25, 2010
Edmonton
Great vid man! Really good for your first. My first was essentially a slide show with just a few clips so you're way ahead of the game lol. Well done.

Worraps

Oct 23, 2011
Edmonton
Here is my video.

I also made a McDavid one, however it needs a bit more work so I may post it later.

Really good. Especially for a first effort.

Thanks for taking the time to put it together.

Dec 3, 2005
Vancouver BC
Here is my video.

Thanks for putting in the time to make this and sharing it with us :bow:
Can't wait to see more of your work!

We're spoiled with so many talented people here :yo:

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
Here is my video.

Great vid, my friend. :handclap:

I also applaud your decision to include some scraps, and hits in there. More vids should feature the tougher aspects as well. Great job.

The Batman

Registered Superhero
Sep 30, 2014
Batcave
What video editor do you all use?

The first editor I've ever used (about a year ago) was Lightworks since it's free and actually well-known (it was used to edit films like the King's Speech).

Then I got more interested in video compositing as well (video game montages :shakehead), and found yet another free piece of software: Hitfilm Express.

Not as highly touted that's for sure, but I suppose it gets the job done. Here's some sample videos I produced a few months ago: 1 2 3 I'm obviously still really new to video editing, edited for a few months and then took a lengthy break (... until now?)

I'd obviously prefer to use a combination of Premiere and After Effects (I've used Photoshop since I was in grade 6/7 and LOVE Adobe products), but I'm not too serious about video editing just yet to spend all that money.:cry:

I also agree with whoever said finding the actual clips is harder to do than actually piecing/editing it all together. Finding, organizing, and trimming dozens of videos at several gigabytes each in size (and sometimes requiring you to convert to a difference video type) sucks! I enjoy the creative process of compositing/syncing the aforementioned clips.

McMozesmadness

5-14-6-1
Feb 17, 2013
Edmonton, AB
What video editor do you all use?

The first editor I've ever used (about a year ago) was Lightworks since it's free and actually well-known (it was used to edit films like the King's Speech).

Then I got more interested in video compositing as well (video game montages :shakehead), and found yet another free piece of software: Hitfilm Express.

Not as highly touted that's for sure, but I suppose it gets the job done. Here's some sample videos I produced a few months ago: 1 2 3 I'm obviously still really new to video editing, edited for a few months and then took a lengthy break (... until now?)

I'd obviously prefer to use a combination of Premiere and After Effects (I've used Photoshop since I was in grade 6/7 and LOVE Adobe products), but I'm not too serious about video editing just yet to spend all that money.:cry:

I also agree with whoever said finding the actual clips is harder to do than actually piecing/editing it all together. Finding, organizing, and trimming dozens of videos at several gigabytes each in size (and sometimes requiring you to convert to a difference video type) sucks! I enjoy the creative process of compositing/syncing the aforementioned clips.

I use Final Cut Pro 10 and Photoshop.

Titsuple

Jun 23, 2009
edmonton
Here is my video.

Nice job man!
Love big hits and fights mixed in! Fitter a request for your next video, Can vs russia wjc gold medal game where Nurse will not be denied behind the net. If you can find a spot to work that in :yo:

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
Here is my video.

That was honestly one of the best videos I've seen. I'm a huge fan of timing clips to music.

Keep it up.:handclap:

The Batman

Registered Superhero
Sep 30, 2014
Batcave
Here is my video.

Quite an excellent first attempt tbh. Better than most people's 20th and 30th

Perhaps it's due to lack of experience but the simplicity is what makes this video. You did an excellent job of editing (transitioning at the right times, showing just the right amount of footage to give it the fast pace needed for a pump up vid) that any additional effects would ruin it

Too many people go overboard on two things: transitions and CC. A simple cut to the next clip with a minor effect works excellent in most instances, especially for a hockey video--this ain't an action movie trailer or video game montage. As for CC you probably didn't apply any which overall is a good thing because too many people just juice up the brightness and contrast, or set the color wheels to blue, blue, blue. Only thing I would change for your vid is to normalize the brightness/contrast/colors of all the diff clips but obviously that was due to the source and not your fault

Keep it up man, I'll be keeping an eye on your channel

488fitter

May 25, 2010
Edmonton
Quite an excellent first attempt tbh. Better than most people's 20th and 30th

Perhaps it's due to lack of experience but the simplicity is what makes this video. You did an excellent job of editing (transitioning at the right times, showing just the right amount of footage to give it the fast pace needed for a pump up vid) that any additional effects would ruin it

Too many people go overboard on two things: transitions and CC. A simple cut to the next clip with a minor effect works excellent in most instances, especially for a hockey video--this ain't an action movie trailer or video game montage. As for CC you probably didn't apply any which overall is a good thing because too many people just juice up the brightness and contrast, or set the color wheels to blue, blue, blue. Only thing I would change for your vid is to normalize the brightness/contrast/colors of all the diff clips but obviously that was due to the source and not your fault

Keep it up man, I'll be keeping an eye on your channel

Completely agree on the transitions. Less is better. Gives it a cleaner feel.

As for brightness, contrast, etc.... I often juice mine up as a way to tell if other editors are ripping off my videos. I can tell right away if they are. So I doubt that's something I'll change. Not a fan of using watermarks, they annoy me.

You seem particular in what you want or believe is a proper way to make a video so just curious if you have a channel or anything? I'd like to check out some of your work if so. I'm self taught, so any tips or critiques would be awesome. Always looking to get better. Should probably just take a course or something lol.

DipsyMcDoodles

Apr 6, 2014
Edmonton
Here is my video.

I can't believe that was your first one; that was awesome!:handclap:

Only thing is I wish I would've seen some McD highlights incorporated :naughty:

The Batman

Registered Superhero
Sep 30, 2014
Batcave
Completely agree on the transitions. Less is better. Gives it a cleaner feel.

As for brightness, contrast, etc.... I often juice mine up as a way to tell if other editors are ripping off my videos. I can tell right away if they are. So I doubt that's something I'll change. Not a fan of using watermarks, they annoy me.

You seem particular in what you want or believe is a proper way to make a video so just curious if you have a channel or anything? I'd like to check out some of your work if so. I'm self taught, so any tips or critiques would be awesome. Always looking to get better. Should probably just take a course or something lol.

I'm definitely no pro, I just have strong opinions on design haha. I just do a lot of photoshop work on the side so I guess it stems from there (I'm self taught in video editing, too, only a few months experience so I think I should be getting tips from you!)

I actually started an Oilers channel last year (October), but I gave up on it (took way to long to edit). Here was a test video for game 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqLOkSxPl3U. General idea was to do extended 15-minute game highlights. I also had issues about people ripping off my stuff (I actually recorded my screen while watching gamecenter for that footage haha) so as you can see I sort of overdid the overlay with the lens flares and watermark.

Kinda stopped editing after that, but I really want to get back into this hobby, obviously your videos are an inspiration and this thread in general

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Here is my video.

Great job! I look forward to your McDavid one :)

Oilers10

I hate Dallas Eakins
Dec 4, 2004
I'm actually making a video now but its my first ever so def not professional. I'll post a link when its done probably in the next week. Lots of talented Oiler fans out there. Fitter is the best though.

The Batman

Registered Superhero
Sep 30, 2014
Batcave
Criticism?

It was too short! :sarcasm:

Dude sweet video!

Thanks man!

I was going to make an actual vid and not just an intro but this took me WAY longer than I expected. :laugh: Remade this intro a ridiculous amount of times before I was somewhat satisfied with the transitions and I'm the sort of guy to sync the audio down to 1/60th of a second lol.

Perfectionism, inexperience, and average software is a terrible combination :cry:

I do have an idea for a video featuring the next wave of Oilers--Nurse, Drai, McDavid, Slepyshev, etc. Although most of the footage will be McD. Hopefully I can have it done by the next weekend

488fitter

May 25, 2010
Edmonton
Yep, great vid Godmode, wanted more! Hopefully your future projects are longer. Looks like we shouldn't have a shortage of Oiler vids on HF with how many users are getting involved. Good stuff.

Starting my pump up vid Friday night :)

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad