Any Linux users here?

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017
I was always contemplating to moving to Linux but thanks to the last Windows 10 update which sort of pissed me off I just made the transition a few weeks ago. I tried to install PopOS at first but never got it to work, so I settled for the latest version of Ubuntu which runs the Gnome 3 desktop environment. I kept Win10 for gaming and put Ubuntu on a separate SSD drive.

I gotta say, it has been an amazing experience so far and I wish I would have made the transition a lot earlier. Granted I'm a programmer so maybe that's why the system seems appealing to me. But one of the main things I really like about it is the way you install software. I love the idea of running a command or two through the terminal and poof, the software is already all installed and ready to use. It seems like it's more intimidating but actually is a lot easier than running those exe installers.

Anyways, any Linux users in the house? If so, what distro/de are you running?

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Linux user here and have been using it full time for about 10 years now. My desktop is running Ubuntu and the Gnome desktop as well. I don't even know what Windows looks like anymore. As a Software Developer, windows just seems unnatural unless you are in the Dot Net world.

These days pretty much everything just works on Linux other than games which is not a problem for me as I am not a gamer.

Reactions: crazychimp

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017
Yea I feel like other than games everything seems to work fine on Linux. Granted most of the stuff I do develop on professionally is .Net related but that's what work computers are for, not personal. Even with that though, it's becoming a lot better with .Net Core and VSCode being available.

Puck

Ninja
Jun 10, 2003
Ottawa
Linux Mint and Windows 10 user. I love Linux but wouldn't dream of dumping Windows (I have no issues with Windows). I use Linux for gaming actually. It's where I park the game emulators for playing the old stuff. Admittedly it's often a headache to configure but I have so much time invested in making things work, I can't see myself going back to Windows to duplicate the headaches. I also enjoy testing all the Linux software. Linux is also where I park my media software. So Windows has slowly become the OS for serious stuff (work related) and Linux has become the entertainment OS.

Decent introductory article here on Linux gaming. Open and follow the links inside the article for more info.

Gaming On Linux: All You Need To Know - It's FOSS

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017
Linux Mint and Windows 10 user. I love Linux but wouldn't dream of dumping Windows (I have no issues with Windows). I use Linux for gaming actually. It's where I park the game emulators for playing the old stuff. Admittedly it's often a headache to configure but I have so much time invested in making things work, I can't see myself going back to Windows to duplicate the headaches. I also enjoy testing all the Linux software. Linux is also where I park my media software. So Windows has slowly become the OS for serious stuff (work related) and Linux has become the entertainment OS.

Decent introductory article here on Linux gaming. Open and follow the links inside the article for more info.

Gaming On Linux: All You Need To Know - It's FOSS

Is this work as in your personal work or actual job? I mean I can't dump Windows either since I do use it in my day job, but at home the only reason I bootup Windows is if I want to play games. Granted I think I should give Linux a try with that but it just seems more convenient with Windows since it gets top driver/graphics and gaming support compared to the other operating systems.

Puck

Ninja
Jun 10, 2003
Ottawa
Is this work as in your personal work or actual job? I mean I can't dump Windows either since I do use it in my day job, but at home the only reason I bootup Windows is if I want to play games. Granted I think I should give Linux a try with that but it just seems more convenient with Windows since it gets top driver/graphics and gaming support compared to the other operating systems.
Work will provide you with a laptop. For security reasons they don't like file swapping between work and personal PCs. Both environments are separate and distinct now.

On my personal home PC I use Libre Office on Windows 10 as well as tons of other open source software. I still use Photoshop in Windows, Affinity Photo and Freemake video and audio converters. If those apps worked well in Linux, I suppose I could dump Windows. I got Photoshop CS6 to work in Linux but not the latest online version. For games, I will wait to see how MS manages the XBox games (incl. Game Pass). If I can get most Windows released games on the new XBox, theoretically I could buy into that system and move my home PC to Linux exclusively. But I doubt that will happen because I like Windows too, I don't see why I'd dump it. It's nice to have two OSs. Actually I have four now, Windows 10 and Linux Mint for the home PC, Android on the cell and iOS on the tablet. Five I suppose if you consider Google Chrome as an OS.

Last edited:

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017
Work will provide you with a laptop. For security reasons they don't like file swapping between work and personal PCs. Both environments are separate and distinct now.

On my personal home PC I use Libre Office on Windows 10 as well as tons of other open source software. I still use Photoshop in Windows, Affinity Photo and Freemake video and audio converters. If those apps worked well in Linux, I suppose I could dump Windows. I got Photoshop CS6 to work in Linux but not the latest online version. For games, I will wait to see how MS manages the XBox games (incl. Game Pass). If I can get most Windows released games on the new XBox, theoretically I could buy into that system and move my home PC to Linux exclusively. But I doubt that will happen because I like Windows too, I don't see why I'd dump it. It's nice to have two OSs. Actually I have four now, Windows 10 and Linux Mint for the home PC, Android on the cell and iOS on the tablet.

Yea I'm not exactly against Windows by all means, I think every OS has its pros and cons. At the end of the day it's all about the user and what they're into.

Reactions: Puck

crazychimp

Jun 24, 2014
Vancouver
My main laptop runs a dualboot of Windows and Ubuntu (20.04). I've tried quite a few of them over the years on a virtual machine, my favorites are:

Ubuntu
Linux Mint
Manjaro
Elementary OS
Arch Linux
Xubuntu
Debian

I like how customizable it is as compared to Windows, the only reason I have Windows is because of gaming.

It's also great to connect my PS4 to which only supports a 2.4 GHz WiFi connection, I just hook it up to my Ubuntu laptop's ethernet port to share the laptops 5 GHz connection (something Windows can't do).

If you ever run into any problems with it let me know.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad