Any interest in Johnny hockey ?

SgtJoseph*

Got to see him play for Gloucester Catholic HS a few years back while visiting family up in South Jersey, after 10 minutes of watching I told my sister the lad has a shot at making the NHL one day, even at his small size,,,,,,,,,,,,MAD skills

I keep hearing that Homer and Feaster have been back and forth about possible trades etc ? Anyone have any thoughts about Johnny hockey possibly being one of the players Homer might be interested in as part of a trade ? Personally I would like to see the young lad get a shot in Philly......I think the fans would warm up real quick to him if he was to make our club one day.

---------------

Mod edit:

John Gaudreau

NEWTON, Mass. — He comes from South Jersey, this kid they call Johnny Hockey. He looks like a minnow in a helmet, shaves once a week and has the diet of a finicky fifth-grader.

“I pretty much hate vegetables, all of them,” Johnny Hockey says. “I can’t even get them in my mouth.” You keep looking at Johnny Gaudreau, who was 5-7 and maybe 140 pounds when he arrived at Boston College 18 months ago, and you wonder:

Could this really be the prodigy who sparked the U.S. to the gold medal in the world junior hockey championships earlier this year, scoring a tournament-leading seven goals in a four-game span?

The left wing who rung up 27 points in BC’s 19-game winning streak last year, a run that culminated with the program’s third NCAA title in five seasons?
Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/c...tar-bc-hockey-article-1.1284022#ixzz2YYVtkhb8

Last edited by a moderator:

SchennSational1022*

Hes definitely gotten bigger since 150 when he was drafted. If you dont know much about him hust watch team USA from this past years WJ's. He was unbelievable.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
5'7" and 150 lbs??? I'm all for underdogs and such, but that is shorter and lighter than St. Louis. Unless ths kid is unreal (which he may be...I honestly know nothing about him), I don't see how you can make it in the NHL at that size.

I tend to agree, but there are a lot of people that had him pegged as the best college player in the country last year as a Sophomore. That's pretty difficult to do in the NCAA where some guys are almost five years older than him. He also lit it up for the US WJC team this past year.

With that said, the local kid dream around here needs to die. Calgary is more than likely not looking to move him without at least seeing him at the NHL level first. He's a pretty big piece to their rebuild.

feedingschennzy

Feb 11, 2012
Seeing as his family made some enemies with a now former flyer last year it's hard to tell if the flyers would want him

SchennSational1022*

Seeing as his family made some enemies with a now former flyer last year it's hard to tell if the flyers would want him

Who? The whole locel boy thing has to die out soon though too, give up...Gadreau is awesome though.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006

Doesn't his father own Hollydell Ice Arena? I highly doubt the Flyers wouldn't consider him because his father snubbed some ex-flyer's kid for a travel team. That's at least what I think you're alluding to.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
I tend to agree, but there are a lot of people that had him pegged as the best college player in the country last year as a Sophomore. That's pretty difficult to do in the NCAA where some guys are almost five years older than him. He also lit it up for the US WJC team this past year.

With that said, the local kid dream around here needs to die. Calgary is more than likely not looking to move him without at least seeing him at the NHL level first. He's a pretty big piece to their rebuild.

The NCAA and NHL are very different. I have no problem believing this kid is the best in the NCAA, even at his size. But when you get to the NHL and most players are 5-6 inches taller and 40-50 pounds heavier, you have to be elite to overcome that. There is reason that there aren't too many players his size in the NHL.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
The NCAA and NHL are very different. I have no problem believing this kid is the best in the NCAA, even at his size. But when you get to the NHL and most players are 5-6 inches taller and 40-50 pounds heavier, you have to be elite to overcome that. There is reason that there aren't too many players his size in the NHL.

Agreed. I don't know if he makes the NHL at that size either. But I will say that he's a better player right now than Gerbe was as a senior at BC, and Gerbe was dominant that year. Gaudreau does have an elite skill level in his age group, even if that doesn't translate to the NHL.

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
im almost positive his Dad used to coach my brother

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Agreed. I don't know if he makes the NHL at that size either. But I will say that he's a better player right now than Gerbe was as a senior at BC, and Gerbe was dominant that year. Gaudreau does have an elite skill level in his age group, even if that doesn't translate to the NHL.

Interesting. If that's the case I would have interest in this guy, though nothing serious. Does Gaudreau have a pest element to his game, or is he more finesse?

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Interesting. If that's the case I would have interest in this guy, though nothing serious. Does Gaudreau have a pest element to his game, or is he more finesse?

Definitely finesse.

During the WJC's this guy would go into corners with guy's twice his size and somehow come out with the puck. It was incredible. The kid has great stick work. He just knows what he's doing out there. He thinks so far ahead of the other guys on the ice. Not to mention the sickest dangles you will ever see. Just undresses guys.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Doesn't his father own Hollydell Ice Arena? I highly doubt the Flyers wouldn't consider him because his father snubbed some ex-flyer's kid for a travel team. That's at least what I think you're alluding to.

I don't know if he owns the place but he runs leagues there. One Briere's kids or maybe both played for Gadreau's dads team.

Gaudreau played for Team Comcast (best players from Philly & South NJ area) before heading off to the USHL & BC.

flyersfan018

Mar 2, 2011
NJ

Yes, his father owns it. My dad knows him. I also have friends who played with Gaudreau and Bobby Ryan.

SgtJoseph*

Johnny is one of those players whose talent is obvious the moment you see him play. When I first watched him I remember thinking to myself 'WOW" now that's a hockey player ! I was totally impressed with his play without the puck as well, he just has that gift to be a few steps ahead of the puck and he knows what to do with it when he gets it. He can finish like no other I have ever seen play at that level, with hands that are soft and precise.

Where ever he ends up playing as a professional albeit the AHL or NHL etc, he will be a treat to watch play and an asset to that club.......I only watched him play once live at a High school game and was very impressed.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
I've played against Gaudreau when he was on Team Comcast and the Little Flyers. Absolute terror to contain. I've never seen a player get lost in coverage so easily. You could be right on the little **** and he would just disappear and reappear with the puck on his stick. The kid is one of the most talented players from his draft class, and I really think he will overcome his size. He'll be an NHL player, and I wouldn't mind if the Flyers were to go after him at all.

BillyShoe1721

Terriers
Mar 29, 2007
Philadelphia, PA
Gaudreau is going to be a quality NHL player. I've seen him play 10+ times live, and watched every WJC game. His ability to find open ice and vision is incredible. He's also very shifty. He's a lot like Briere in the sense that you lose track of him on the ice, and the next thing you know he's wide open with a prime scoring opportunity and no opponent around him. Watch the goals he scores here, and how open he is on most of them.

I don't care how big you are, those instincts and hands make for an NHL player. I'd love for the Flyers to get him, but I don't think the Flames are even dumb enough to let him go without us offering one of our good young players.

Edit: This is EXACTLY what I'm talking about.

I've played against Gaudreau when he was on Team Comcast and the Little Flyers. Absolute terror to contain. I've never seen a player get lost in coverage so easily. You could be right on the little **** and he would just disappear and reappear with the puck on his stick. The kid is one of the most talented players from his draft class, and I really think he will overcome his size. He'll be an NHL player, and I wouldn't mind if the Flyers were to go after him at all.

SgtJoseph*

Am I the only one that thinks that Gaudreau plays much bigger than his size?

His small size is actually his advantage in some respects.....He can slice trough holes and squirt into areas while carrying the puck that most would never go....He always ends up with the puck on his stick it seems and his shot is lethal.

flyersfan018

Mar 2, 2011
NJ
He has so many similarities to Briere with better puckhandling skills. I don't see how a guy with that much talent never makes the NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad