no name

Nov 28, 2002
Tornado Alley
Visit site
Let's look at 3 factors:

1) Potential role on the Kings
2) Salary Cap
3) Assets given up to acquire player

1) He is not beating out DD or Voynov as a PMD on the first two D pairs. Hence, he is by definition a 3rd pairing guy. Is he substantially better than AMart, or would AMart beat him out? AMart has the benefit of being in the Kings system for a couple of years and understanding what is required. If MDZ can't play defense, he's not playing for Sutter, that's for sure. When Greener comes back, can you assure that Sutter won't bench Amart / MDZ? Thus MDZ would potentially be a #7 D.

2) AMart cost $1.1MM in cap space, MDZ $2.5MM

3) MDZ is not coming for free. We would need to give up assets. What assets do you propose to give up? Would we be a better team (by subtracting AMart, and adding MDZ.) Further, what assets are you willing to give up for a guy who is potentially sitting on the bench behind Mitchell / Green?

Finally, MDZ is not a 35 pt player on the Kings. With the Rangers, he is the only offensive D-man they have. He received #1 PP minutes. He may not play any PP minutes for the Kings since we have DD, Voynov, and Muzzin and Richards/Stoll.

I believe he would be an impact player on our PP. He would also be our second best breakout passer and skating dman. I'm not saying he would be used more than Voynov but a top 4 position is not out of the question.

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, if the NYR pick up some of the contract I would give up something of value. Amart and a 5th rounder sounds solid for both teams since Del Zotto has been outspoken about the Rangers new coach.

DZ is a 40+ point player as a Ranger while missing time each year. At 24 years old there is no reason to believe he can't be a 30 point slick mover for the Kings.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad