Any interest in Del Zotto?

Basilisk

Aug 5, 2012
We lost our #8 defensemen (Ellerby) to waivers and Greene is injured. We're a stone's throw away from having to call up Bodnarchuk and/or Schultz.

Discuss.

Tadite

Feb 27, 2002
Rhode Island
Visit site
No.

How do we fit his salary into the salary cap?

That's about the end of the discussion goodness knows how much he's going to get as a RFA with a new contract. At best he's a decent puck moving defensmen who needs a stay at home guy to be successful. Doesn't seem to fill a hole unless we think it's worth it to make room and replace AM with him on the 3rd pairing.

etherialone

dialed in your mom
Mar 6, 2008
The Ether
No, there are a few reasons why he isn't wanted in New York that lead me to believe that he wouldn't be a great fit in our locker room. Nice player but not more so than Martinez or at least in our system he wouldn't be.

That and MDZ would cost us more than we would ever want to spend.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
With our lack of cap space, we're pretty much not getting anybody unless the contracts match up or the other teams is willing to eat most of it.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
He does have to clear, but I doubt he would get claimed.

A team would have to carry him on the active roster.

Although It wouldn't shock me if someone like Forbort got the call (waiver exempt).

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
Thing about Bodnarchuk is that if and when he's being sent back down, I believe he has to clear waivers, does he not?

Unless we were sending a D-man back the other way in any deal, which would go against the OP's point (at least in the short term) in getting MDZ in the first place, then we'd eventually have to waive someone anyways when Greene gets back, unless we want to carry 8 D-men again. I don't think we'd be very smart to cap wise though.

tigermask48

Maniacal Laugh
Mar 10, 2004
R'Lyeh, Antarctica
Unless we were sending a D-man back the other way in any deal, which would go against the OP's point (at least in the short term) in getting MDZ in the first place, then we'd eventually have to waive someone anyways when Greene gets back, unless we want to carry 8 D-men again. I don't think we'd be very smart to cap wise though.

I thought Greene was done for the year or has that changed recently? I agree though the Kings are looking like they don't need 8 D anymore, but with Greene on LTIR that frees up enough cap space for aquiring another d-man pretty easily if a long-term replacement becomes available.

Thing about Bodnarchuk is that if and when he's being sent back down, I believe he has to clear waivers, does he not?

Was it just re-entry waivers that went the way of the ghost? Isn't there something in the new CBA about a player only having to clear once to be called up and sent down? I have no idea since I've still never been able to track down a copy of it anywhere.

If we only still had the rights to Bud Holloway, we'd have a bargaining chip to bring The Rangers to their knees.

But, oh well...

Something tells me he still gets brought up in the dog days of summer this year...

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
I thought Greene was done for the year or has that changed recently? I agree though the Kings are looking like they don't need 8 D anymore, but with Greene on LTIR that frees up enough cap space for aquiring another d-man pretty easily if a long-term replacement becomes available.

Did I miss this? I never heard he was out for the year. Wow, if so i missed the boat on that one. Got a link? If so, that does change a lot of things.

Was it just re-entry waivers that went the way of the ghost? Isn't there something in the new CBA about a player only having to clear once to be called up and sent down? I have no idea since I've still never been able to track down a copy of it anywhere.

A player only has to clear waivers again in the same season if he stays up with the NHL team for 30 days or 10 games, whichever comes first.

Something tells me he still gets brought up in the dog days of summer this year...

Whenever he finally signs someplace we can put an end to that saga...until he scores a goal or pots three goals in one week and then he's the guy we let go to soon and DL should be burned at the stake, like Brad Richardson and Andrei Loktionov :sarcasm:

tigermask48

Maniacal Laugh
Mar 10, 2004
R'Lyeh, Antarctica
Did I miss this? I never heard he was out for the year. Wow, if so i missed the boat on that one. Got a link? If so, that does change a lot of things.

Sorry forgot to respond to this. I guess I thought I had read that somewhere but after some searching all I could find was DL's "miss significant time" comment regarding Greene. It may be the scientist in me but "significant time" seems to imply a long period.

driller1

Dry Island Reject
Feb 4, 2010
Who says he's a 7 dman? Because the NYR have benched him occasionaly? He is coming off some injuries. He's good for 35 points a year.

Let's look at 3 factors:

1) Potential role on the Kings
2) Salary Cap
3) Assets given up to acquire player

1) He is not beating out DD or Voynov as a PMD on the first two D pairs. Hence, he is by definition a 3rd pairing guy. Is he substantially better than AMart, or would AMart beat him out? AMart has the benefit of being in the Kings system for a couple of years and understanding what is required. If MDZ can't play defense, he's not playing for Sutter, that's for sure. When Greener comes back, can you assure that Sutter won't bench Amart / MDZ? Thus MDZ would potentially be a #7 D.

2) AMart cost $1.1MM in cap space, MDZ $2.5MM

3) MDZ is not coming for free. We would need to give up assets. What assets do you propose to give up? Would we be a better team (by subtracting AMart, and adding MDZ.) Further, what assets are you willing to give up for a guy who is potentially sitting on the bench behind Mitchell / Green?

Finally, MDZ is not a 35 pt player on the Kings. With the Rangers, he is the only offensive D-man they have. He received #1 PP minutes. He may not play any PP minutes for the Kings since we have DD, Voynov, and Muzzin and Richards/Stoll.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad