Player Discussion Any interest in Claude Julien now that he's available?

Bendium

Oct 18, 2019
I said in another thread, we don't have the offense to sustain Julian's system. If you watch the Canadians they win by out scoring their opponents.

Im fine with Kruger. I don't think our problems are all on the coach in the first place anyways.

All on the coach? Maybe not, but he is not getting even close to the best out of his players, which is his job. He is trying to force everyone to play the exact same way and that doesn't work. What he has done with Skinner alone should be fireable. Anyone watching this team play can see his system, and line combo's are not working. He has outsmarted himself. I get incensed every time I see a Sabres player look at a puck he could beat the opponent to, hesitate, then backup to get into his defensive assignment. NOOOOO! Go fight for possession! Immediately without hesitation! Also, the number of times Sabres players fail to finish checks, fail to bump people with the puck to slow them down....gaaaaaahhhh! PLease fire this coach ASAP. I'll take ANY experience coach at this point.

Cirris

Nov 10, 2006
Crackport
Boudreau expresses interest in Kraken coaching job: report

There's another team that available coaches would be more interested in than the Sabres ...

Can't blame them. Taking on the Kraken job allows you to mold a new team to your liking. Much like Vegas. Especially given the NHL allows them to poach a lot of good players from other teams.

With the Sabres you're stuck with 2 terrible contracts out of the blocks. Nevermind the numerous type of players that wouldn't fit the style of coaching you'd want.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
Montreal fans happy he's gone, Dale Weiss ripping his coaching ability on twitter, more rumors that the players didn't like him at other stops. Dont get me wrong, winning > likeability but I think its easy to think anyone not ralph will come in and we'll just fix everything with no problems

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Montreal fans happy he's gone, Dale Weiss ripping his coaching ability on twitter, more rumors that the players didn't like him at other stops. Dont get me wrong, winning > likeability but I think its easy to think anyone not ralph will come in and we'll just fix everything with no problems
Well, we can stay with Ralph and fight New Jersey and Rangers for the top 10 draft. Probably there are interesting and young coaches, but who have no experience in the NHL, but lately I have been skeptical about the appointment of inexperienced guys.

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017

• Inviting the opposition into the zone, not trying to step up
  • Extensive use of the stretch pass
  • No cycle, not as much emphasis on creating HD chances
Yeah, Julien can f*** off

Do. Not. Want.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Can you imagine if Brind'Amour, whose current deal expires after this season, found himself as a free agent? Not only might his old boss Ron Francis pick up the phone in Seattle but I'm guessing there are a few other teams that would be all over him.

It just so happens he won a Stanley Cup with Sabres GM Kevyn Adams in their playing days, for example, I'm pointing out some obivious connections here. (c) LeBrun

Reactions: WeDislikeEich

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
It's been a revolving door with coaches here in Sabreville for nearly a decade. Don't think coaches don't notice that. These 3 guys don't appear to be desperate for jobs right now (probably on guaranteed contracts) and are content to pick and choose. It's been shown that no one in their right mind picks Buffalo as a coaching destination.

The Pegula's are in cost conservation n mode. They know that their free wheeling fracking enterprises are going to be constrained by the energy policies of the new Administration in DC. So Terry and Kim are no longer buyers nor in an unconstrained spending mode.

Ralph is here for the duration. I understand he refused a further cut in salary. However, he remains the Head Coach. He can smooth talk his way into and out of any situation he faces.

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
It's been a revolving door with coaches here in Sabreville for nearly a decade. Don't think coaches don't notice that. These 3 guys don't appear to be desperate for jobs right now (probably on guaranteed contracts) and are content to pick and choose. It's been shown that no one in their right mind picks Buffalo as a coaching destination.

The Pegula's are in cost conservation n mode. They know that their free wheeling fracking enterprises are going to be constrained by the energy policies of the new Administration in DC. So Terry and Kim are no longer buyers nor in an unconstrained spending mode.

Ralph is here for the duration. I understand he refused a further cut in salary. However, he remains the Head Coach. He can smooth talk his way into and out of any situation he faces.

explore

I was wrong about Don Granato and TNT
Jun 28, 2011

I think your point about coaches paying attention to the short shelf life of coaches in Buffalo is more likely to be true than the Pegula's restricting spending on the Sabres.

They were paying Ralph $4 million a year (I don't know how much of a pay cut he took), and guys like Vigneault and Laviollette are making $5 million. They signed Taylor Hall for $8 million after everyone talked about them being tight with their money--and they're talking about extending him. They cut down a front office they thought was bloated because they felt they couldn't trust some of the people they hired, which resulted in them putting someone they trusted in charge of management.

I openly criticize the Pegula's for interfering with player decisions (and often screwing it up beyond belief), but even after all the talk about how the Sabres were going to have a $70 million internal payroll this season due to not gate revenue, the team today is right there at the cap.

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
I think your point about coaches paying attention to the short shelf life of coaches in Buffalo is more likely to be true than the Pegula's restricting spending on the Sabres.

They were paying Ralph $4 million a year (I don't know how much of a pay cut he took), and guys like Vigneault and Laviollette are making $5 million. They signed Taylor Hall for $8 million after everyone talked about them being tight with their money--and they're talking about extending him. They cut down a front office they thought was bloated because they felt they couldn't trust some of the people they hired.

I openly criticize the Pegula's for interfering with player decisions (and often screwing it up beyond belief), but even after all the talk about how the Sabres were going to have a $70 million internal payroll this season due to not gate revenue, the team today is right there at the cap.
No disagreement. I'm just saying the Pegula money pot is not bottomless.

beerme1

Jun 27, 2011
Julien lacks the empathy to connect with the players on an emotional level. Sure they're here for the hockey, but these are human beings with thoughts and feelings.

What does this mean? There's a problem with the I'm Claude Julien, f*** off approach as to players? Similar to Alain Vigneault?
Must be a learned in Montreal thing.

explore

I was wrong about Don Granato and TNT
Jun 28, 2011
No disagreement. I'm just saying the Pegula money pot is not bottomless.

Fair enough, that's true

But I think the Bills probably more than makeup for any loss the Sabres generate for the Pegulas

And more realistically, I think the Pegulas probably increased their net worth significantly during this downturn like most billionaires did--the market alone moved significantly this past year

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Who is Kirk Mueller?

He was Staal and Skinner's coach in Carolina too.
I think he may be poking fun at "Mueller" instead of the correct "Muller".

If not, I recall long career with New Jersey, Montreal, Dallas likely elsewhere. Scoring talent who successfully transitioned from the dead-goalie to the dead-puck era. Decent playoff experience. A likable player from my perspective (as an opponent). Was competitive but wasn't someone you hated with disdain, IIRC.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad