Any advice on how I can get my game back?

Jetcetera

Jan 19, 2015
Manitoba
I used to be good in high school but I havent played competitively in nearly a decade. Aside from hitting the out door rinks in the winter I havent played at all never mind in full equipment I recently joined a beer league team and all my skills that I once had are gone. My confidence in my game is terrible.

I get burned out way too quickly and find that my legs run out of energy despite being in pretty good shape overall. I'm definitely more physically fit than the majority of my team but still I feel slow and awkward. My skating is wobbly but that might have something to do with my blades being in poor condition. I just feel like I dont have that hockey instinct that I had growing up

Any tips on what I can do to rediscover my game?

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Maybe go to a Puck Shoot and/or Open Hockey session in your area where you can skate in your pads and equipment and get more comfortable back in them in a more casual game or setting.

And maybe take your skates to your LHS to get sharpened or checked out if you still have speed wobble.

puckpilot

Oct 23, 2016
Aside from equipment issues, cut yourself some slack. You've been away for ten years. It's going to take you a bit to regain your sea legs. You may be fit, but skating uses and stresses muscles that you don't normally use all that much.

A while back because of health issues, I was away from the game for 6 months after not being off the ice for more than a couple of weeks for like 20 years. Out of the 6 months, I was skating at stick and puck for 4 of them twice a week. I just wasn't playing.

My first game back, everything felt alien, like I was on a totally different world. Took me a few games to feel even close to a fraction of normal.

So yeah, hit the ice at stick and puck and just work on some of the basics, edging, puckhandling, and above all don't beat yourself up about it. Another thing is that you're not playing against highschool kids anymore. The kids may have more energy and skill, but because of age, there are going to be some lower skill beerleagers who are more savvy. They don't run around the ice with visions of being a superstar anymore. They just play the game within their skill set and because of that can be very effective.

In games, just keep it simple, and sooner or later, you'll start to get the feels again and the dangles won't be far behind.

my 2 cents

Reactions: LeifUK

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
Just keep at it, be honest with yourself, and work on whatever is lacking. Sure things won't be exactly like they used to be, but you know what you're doing and can build from there.

I can even one-up you. I took 10 years off AND added 70lbs. by the time I got back into it. In that time away from the rink I'd taken up weightlifting, and my old hockey legs were now built for slow, controlled movements rather than fast, explosive movements. Getting used to that was ridiculous. I've dropped a bunch of weight over the years so I could have the happy medium/best of both worlds, but dealing with that at first was brutal...especially playing kids just out of high school/in college who were up to 10 years younger than me. Now I'm better than ever, by far.

aborkie

Jul 27, 2018
Skating is all muscle memory. If you were good in high school there is no reason why you shouldn't be good again after a few weeks. It might be the skates.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
Skating is all muscle memory. If you were good in high school there is no reason why you shouldn't be good again after a few weeks. It might be the skates.

I have to push back against this. WHile at a certain level it is true - you won't forget how to skate, beyond that most basic level your skills and strength will absolutely degrade over time if you don't keep practicing.

Rookie109

Mar 31, 2014
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Adult power skating lessons made a massive difference in my skating ability. Adult Hockey Academy | Canlan Ice Sports Winnipeg
Maybe see if your city has something like that, even as a refresher to get the fundamentals back.
Another thing is how you get your skates sharpened. I've tried many different types and I find 11/16ths works great in the summer on softer ice, but I usually stick with the Flat Bottom V since it works on any type of ice and has so many benefits.
Flat Bottom V

aborkie

Jul 27, 2018
The processes that are important for the learning and memory of ice skating occur mainly in the brain, not in the muscles. This is especially the case if you started hockey at a young age. It all comes back.

goalie29

Oct 17, 2010
Canada
I took a break from skating for the same years as you have. The first time I laced them up to go to a public skate, I couldn't even hockey stop anymore. lol I've been skating literally since I could walk, so I knew I had it in me to get it back. I started playing again, and it did.

You'll get back up to physical speed more quickly if you do some focused skating - in lessons or open ice times. You might be generally fit, but skating muscles aren't used the same in other exercises. Most importantly - relax and have fun. You'll never be a teenager again, and that's a good thing. Adults need to play smarter and safer.

Laodongxi

Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
I realize this is a old thread but having my skate blades adjusted for pronation was a huge benefit for me. It just made everything - edgework, gliding, carving - so much easier and in balance. And most of all, less effort.

You have to find a specialized shop though with people that can analyze your stride while wearing your skates and walking in the store.

It wasn't that expensive and made a huge difference. I could not believe it.

Time to Square Up (Skate Holder and Blade Alignment) - Skate Doctor

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

Hockeytattoo13

Jan 6, 2019
I’m in exactly the same position as you, I played all through juniors and to a high level and then lost the time for one reason or another but recently redound my love for the game almost 10 years later.

Most of the skill is still there but I burn out so easy and have no energy to carry on. The key is the get used to breaking the pain barrier again and rebuild the stamina. Just keep going at it and you’ll get back to where you were but it will take time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad