Any advice for dealing with rotten bathroom floor?

Masao

Nov 24, 2002
masaohf.atspace.com
So I removed the bathroom cabinet to replace it and the wooden floor looks like this:

IMG_20160809_184308270.jpg

IMG_20160809_184315740.jpg

IMG_20160809_184317693.jpg

IMG_20160809_184324244.jpg

What's the best way to deal with this?

Obviously actually cutting off and removing the floor is pretty difficult, because its nailed to the joists down in the cave.

What if I remove all the tiles, cover the rotten wood with some kind of waterproof thingy (any suggestions?) and then cover it up with plywood, tile over the plywood, and put the toilet back in place? Is that safe?

Bones Malone

Game Player
Oct 22, 2010
Buffalo
I'd rip the whole floor out and put new plywood down. If you want to do it right. Do the whole floor, or at least the rotten part if you go that route though.

Is it actually rotten or just unsightly?

Masao

Nov 24, 2002
masaohf.atspace.com
It's pretty rotten. It's worse in the part that is already tiled. I put steel beams many years ago... without those it would just collapse

Bones Malone

Game Player
Oct 22, 2010
Buffalo
If you don't do it now, you are just going to have to do it later. Which means ripping the cabinet back out. Waterproofing isn't going to un-rot the wood.

JS19

Legends Never Die
Aug 14, 2009
The Shark Tank
I'd rip the whole floor out and put new plywood down. If you want to do it right. Do the whole floor, or at least the rotten part if you go that route though.

Is it actually rotten or just unsightly?

/thread

I bet you work in the housing/construction industry, you sound experienced.

Bones Malone

Game Player
Oct 22, 2010
Buffalo
/thread

I bet you work in the housing/construction industry, you sound experienced.

Manufacturing actually, I program machines, but my step father was a carpenter and my dad did all of his own home repair stuff so I picked up quite a bit.

RaiderDoug

Feb 5, 2007
Knoxville
I'm an insurance adjuster. I see this all the time. Your homeowners policy won't cover this due to long term leak and rot, two things 99.9% of homeowners policies don't cover.

This isn't as bad as it looks, as long as the main framing joists aren't compromised.

Get a jig saw, cut a chunk of the plywood out, and start ripping out all the rot. It'll come off the joists easy if it really is rotten. Water stained plywood is fine, it looks bad, but it's still strong. Rotten plywood has to go. Then patch with new plywood and drywall. Put your new tile over it. You're all set. Make sure you stop the leak, else you'll be doing this again next year.

Masao

Nov 24, 2002
masaohf.atspace.com
I'm an insurance adjuster. I see this all the time. Your homeowners policy won't cover this due to long term leak and rot, two things 99.9% of homeowners policies don't cover.

This isn't as bad as it looks, as long as the main framing joists aren't compromised.

Get a jig saw, cut a chunk of the plywood out, and start ripping out all the rot. It'll come off the joists easy if it really is rotten. Water stained plywood is fine, it looks bad, but it's still strong. Rotten plywood has to go. Then patch with new plywood and drywall. Put your new tile over it. You're all set. Make sure you stop the leak, else you'll be doing this again next year.

OK,

About 20 years ago, there were regular inundations in the basement - I got rid of it by putting a pump. So the wooden joists are fine at the top, but the bottom of the joists is rotten. So I put steel jack pipes around the wooden joists. I think the jack pipes are holding very well but the whole situation is kind of complicated underneath.

Also another problem is that in order to remove the floor I have to remove the bathtub. And I replaced the walls and tiled the wall around the bath tub, but the way it's done if I remove the tub I'm actually going to have to remove the wall as well... which I have just installed this summer.

Damn I hate houses.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Do you have a friend or trusted carpenter who knows how to take care of this kind of stuff? I'd give them a call if you do.

Rotted wood is not going to get any better. You probably are going to have to replace the whole bathroom floor at some point because that **** has probably spread throughout that piece of plywood. Also you might want to have someone look at those rotted bottom joists just so nothing bad begins to happen(again someone trusted) because if those give way, you're ****ed.

You might want to start by getting rid of that black mold on the wall though if you have not done so before you do anything else. That **** can be hazardous to your health.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad