Any 03ers to reenter the draft?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jester

Jul 9, 2004
St. Andrews
The Messenger said:
That would only be true if you believe new contracts are subject to 24% rollback ..

The old CBA max was 1.25 Mil base and the new 850K ..

The biggest loophole of old was signing and performance bonuses which regardless would not be subject to the 24% .. Phaneuf can earn millions in this manner ..

So not sure how you can back up the 70k belief ..

well, there are rumors that the entry level contracts under the new CBA will be capable of becoming 3M contracts... so the bonus' will exist to some extent. i would imagine that the bonuses from previous contracts will HAVE to be dealt with in some fashion if they are going to be included under the new salary cap... i mean, how is the team supposed to function w/out a clear understanding and control of the bonus structure that they have built into their contracts?

Pitkanen's contract can explode, i know this for sure, assuming he hits a sequence of markers. i very much doubt those bonuses are going to be as high as they were previously...

but who knows. in any event, after the 24% rollback on the previously signed contracts we aren't talking about a huge difference per year relatively, so it would make sense for them to make an allowance for those players.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Jester said:
well, there are rumors that the entry level contracts under the new CBA will be capable of becoming 3M contracts... so the bonus' will exist to some extent. i would imagine that the bonuses from previous contracts will HAVE to be dealt with in some fashion if they are going to be included under the new salary cap... i mean, how is the team supposed to function w/out a clear understanding and control of the bonus structure that they have built into their contracts?

Pitkanen's contract can explode, i know this for sure, assuming he hits a sequence of markers. i very much doubt those bonuses are going to be as high as they were previously...

but who knows. in any event, after the 24% rollback on the previously signed contracts we aren't talking about a huge difference per year relatively, so it would make sense for them to make an allowance for those players.
The TSN panel actually touched on these new bonuses in ELS contracts and they are much different then before old CBA .. They mentioned schedule A & B ..Implying that the NHL has a set a league wide bonus structure for all players..

They mentioned it in terms of Crosby and if he wanted to cash in on these new CBA bonus he would have to be in he Top 10 scorers overall in the NHL to get them ..

You can hear the report on the TSN site http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/ in the Audio/Video section under

Hockey Insiders
Gord Miller, Bob McKenzie and Glenn Healy talk about where things stand in the NHL labour negotiations.

SENSible1*

Perhaps the old CBA base figure minus the 24% coupled with the new bonus structure. Good compromise and a small bone thrown to the PA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad