Player Discussion Antti Niemi (Signed in the KHL)

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Oh, stat-watching, got it.

Good goalies (pro level) don' have sub 900% for a long period of time no matter how bad or good their defense is.

The stats watching moto is getting way too much traction these days. WAY TOO MUCH. I'm sorry but Crosby is Crosby because he is an over ppg player. If Crosby would be doing 40 points he would not be Crosby. And a goalie posting a sub 900 save % for a long period of time is likely not a very good goalie right now.

Stats are revealing. At the end of the day if your are doing good things on the ice it will show thru stats over a long period of time. And the eye test is often as bad as stats watching when the sample size is under 40 straight games. And even when over that it's still dangerous to use the eye test only as your ideology of what hockey should be will cloud your judgement.

Ideally you want to use both extensively. Realistically nobody here got the time to watch enough hockey to not be stats watching once in a while.

Last edited:
Reactions: Genesis76

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
I expected a loss last night but the way they lost was not acceptable. I’m sorry but how can someone watch video of Niemi and say he’s a competent backup. We’ve seen awkward styles like Tim Thomas, but that was just unorthodox. Niemi looks like he’s a geriatric that can barely move. It’s not a style, it’s a complete lack of athletic ability. He should not be in the NHL.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
5-4-1, 11 points out of 20. All you can ask from your back up is to get the team points.

He has come back down to earth this year. His stats are bottom barrel, but he is a middle pack back up as far as getting points.

He sucked last night but asking your back up to perform miracles in b2b games against the best team in the league isn't going to happen.

Im on the fence with this guy, but I don't think its worth it to give up assets or create waiver issues (remember only 2 goalies per team AHL/NHL/ECHL) over Niemi.

If Price comes back he is probably playing 30-35 of the last 41 games so if Nieme can go .500 its a very small worry and can be addressed in the off season. If we waive Nieme then he goes to Laval and takes away playing time from Lindgren/McNiven. I doubt anyone takes him in a trade. So what can we really do to replace the guy unless he decides to pull a Pleks and go play in EU and retire from the NHL.

Reactions: Genesis76

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
5-4-1, 11 points out of 20. All you can ask from your back up is to get the team points.

He has come back down to earth this year. His stats are bottom barrel, but he is a middle pack back up as far as getting points.

He sucked last night but asking your back up to perform miracles in b2b games against the best team in the league isn't going to happen.

Im on the fence with this guy, but I don't think its worth it to give up assets or create waiver issues (remember only 2 goalies per team AHL/NHL/ECHL) over Niemi.

If Price comes back he is probably playing 30-35 of the last 41 games so if Nieme can go .500 its a very small worry and can be addressed in the off season. If we waive Nieme then he goes to Laval and takes away playing time from Lindgren/McNiven. I doubt anyone takes him in a trade. So what can we really do to replace the guy unless he decides to pull a Pleks and go play in EU and retire from the NHL.

Lindgren will be up when healthy so there’s no point in making a trade. Stick Niemi is the minors like Ottawa did with Condon and have him backup McNiven. With Price hurt, Niemi May get one more shot to redeem himself. But I’d still be looking into Lindgren. We signed him to a one way deal for a reason. It’s not like he’s young anymore either.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
Lindgren will be up when healthy so there’s no point in making a trade. Stick Niemi is the minors like Ottawa did with Condon and have him backup McNiven. With Price hurt, Niemi May get one more shot to redeem himself. But I’d still be looking into Lindgren. We signed him to a one way deal for a reason. It’s not like he’s young anymore either.

I think thats the best option, no need to panic now and throw some picks at a back up goalie that is probably just as bad as Niemi. If a team has a good back up why would they trade him.

Niemi was pretty good last year but thats in the past. He has gotten the team points but cost them too. Buffalo game comes to mind and I know there was another game where he let in a late goal too.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Too old, slow reflexes, time to go

He’s always relied on reflexes but I don’t think that’s what’s hurting him right now. His positioning is the problem. The thing is, it appeared that way last year as well when he was with the Pens and Panthers before joining us. He’s off his angle far to much and trying to throw his body in front of shots instead of just letting them hit him. This is something Waite is extremely good at teaching which is why I think Niemi played so well last season for 20 or so games but for whatever reason, he’s regressed back to what was killing him his final seasons before coming here.

Genesis76

True Leader
May 3, 2013
Oh, stat-watching, got it.

Not sure why some of you guys bother replying in this manner. You can be right or wrong but comments like these are a big waste of time for everyone and no one benefits from it.

If you’re tired or have nothing to add just don’t reply.

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016
Been good so far against Dallas. Some nice saves.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad