Waived: Antti Niemi (DeSmith Returned, Jarry Recalled)

pled

Sep 7, 2009
arent you just giving him to vegas ? that's nice of you.

who of jarry and desmith is favorite for call up?

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Yeah, back then he was 5.75m worth of chewed ass.

I would point out though that Rutherford's actions suggest he was happier with the situation than he sounds there i.e. no trading him away.

Sure. A lot of that is just lip service. Perhaps to motivate. And actions always speak louder than words... especially when it comes to GMs where talk is often cheap.

But those acting like that was some sort of rock solid, perfectly thought-out, flawless strategy with zero downside and an obvious and inevitable terrific outcome are being very disingenuous.

Last edited:
Reactions: Peat

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Good for management to admit their mistake and make an adjustment quickly. I was nervous they'd give him a couple of more starts.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
That's obviously not what Yohe was saying :laugh:

Yohe was saying "see how bad Niemi is? That's what the Penguins would have had if they would have traded Fleury last year". If you really think Yohe thinks about his tweets so much to say "if the Penguins would have traded Fleury, it would have had to be for Niemi", I don't know what to tell you. He just makes snide remarks randomly. He doesn't think enough and isn't smart enough with hockey to know that if the Penguins would have had to take back a guy like Niemi to trade Fleury.

Its called context. This is EXACTLY what the downside of trading Fleury last season was. This situation is EXACTLY the reason he didnt want to move Fleury in season.

I have no idea why thats hard to grasp.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
That is absolutely unnecessary for him to prove his NHL readiness. He proved it last year. He doesn't need to prove last year "wasn't a fluke". He has already proven he's a NHL caliber goalie.

He has 1 NHl start, it literally is impossible for him to have proven he is an nhl caliber goalie.

Maybe you can argue he has proven he deserves an nhl shot or chance.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Its called context. This is EXACTLY what the downside of trading Fleury last season was. This situation is EXACTLY the reason he didnt want to move Fleury in season.

Without Fleury we do not win the cup.

That said it is a stretch to connect Niemi sucking this badly with that situation. Remember that the Pens had Condon, who was a ton better and may have done as well as Fleury in the playoffs. It was not Fleury or giving up 8 goals a game in the playoffs.

Uemoda

Formerly OminousGrey
Jun 28, 2011
Pennsylvania
www.twitter.com
Thank heavens. I was afraid we'd need another 10 games before we ditched this guy.

FWIW, I've spectated a WBS game this year with Jarry in net up close. He's not quite where he was last year, at least not yet. Give him time to get up to speed and get his confidence going. I say you give him another look in December. He's still young and will have his ups and downs. Handing him the reigns down there for a bit will be good for his progression.

DeSmith has earned his spot duty. He's not that terrible for a goalie who came out of nowhere. He earned his place last year and played well for the organization when Jarry went down. He's a battler even if he doesn't have a ton of natural skill.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

Because you're twisting something he said into something he clearly didn't say by adding baseless assumptions.

It's very easy to read what Yohe wrote. He literally just said "good thing the Penguins kept Fleury, because Niemi sucks". There's no "context" here, you're creating the context to try and rationalize it. It's just another snide remark by Yohe, you're severely overestimating how deep he was thinking if you think he meant "good thing the Penguins didn't trade Fleury, because they would have traded him for Niemi and Niemi sucks". Niemi sucking is irrelevant from this situation, it's just Yohe being an idiot.

Without Fleury we do not win the cup.

That said it is a stretch to connect Niemi sucking this badly with that situation. Remember that the Pens had Condon, who was a ton better and may have done as well as Fleury in the playoffs. It was not Fleury or giving up 8 goals a game in the playoffs.

Exactly the point I'm making. Keeping Fleury was a good decision because the Penguins won a cup last year with Fleury playing in a pretty significant role. Niemi sucking this year doesn't add more validation to keeping Fleury last year though, which is what Yohe is trying to say here.

I don't even know what prompted his comment anyway. No one is complaining that the Penguins kept Fleury throughout all of last year. That tweet would have made sense when Fleury got the game 7 shutout against the Capitals, but now? Who thinks the decision was a bad one at this point?

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Because you're twisting something he said into something he clearly didn't say by adding baseless assumptions.

It's very easy to read what Yohe wrote. He literally just said "good thing the Penguins kept Fleury, because Niemi sucks". There's no "context" here, you're creating the context to try and rationalize it. It's just another snide remark by Yohe, you're severely overestimating how deep he was thinking if you think he meant "good thing the Penguins didn't trade Fleury, because they would have traded him for Niemi and Niemi sucks". Niemi sucking is irrelevant from this situation, it's just Yohe being an idiot.

Exactly the point I'm making. Keeping Fleury was a good decision because the Penguins won a cup last year with Fleury playing in a pretty significant role. Niemi sucking this year doesn't add more validation to keeping Fleury last year though, which is what Yohe is trying to say here.

I don't even know what prompted his comment anyway. No one is complaining that the Penguins kept Fleury throughout all of last year. That tweet would have made sense when Fleury got the game 7 shutout against the Capitals, but now? Who thinks the decision was a bad one at this point?

If your point is that Yohe is an idiot who says dumb things I do not think that you have to expend a lot of effort to get agreement here.

Reactions: Empoleon8771

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad