Anton Stralman Appreciation Thread

jerseyjinx94

I jinx players.
Jan 11, 2012
Miami, FL
Not sure if there is one. I searched for him but he was discussed in a lot of threads and I don't have time to go through everything. Mods - delete/move whatever.

As much as we all discuss the Stralman-Klein debate, or the importance of CORSI - this thread isn't about that. Don't turn this into an argument about crap like that. Anton Stralman was a steady, two-way defender for us on a SCF run. He will be missed. I'm happy for him that he got security, and goes to a good team, but sad to see him go. He raised his game in the Finals, even arguably outplaying McDonagh at times.

Good luck to him.

mandiblesofdoom

May 24, 2012
He was one of our best at the essential thing - turning defense into offense. And he didn't get rattled.

Really bummed he's gone.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I really liked Anton Stralman. He's a guy who was essentially out of the league who worked very, very hard to improve his game. It was a fun transformation to watch.

Ice Hockey

Jan 4, 2009
CT
Really think it was a mistake letting Stralman go. That hip check was good no doubt but what about all of his devastating and perfectly timed and clean CENTER ICE HITS! I mean that stuff just doesn't happen anymore and he was consistently landing them on speedy players in the playoffs. you really do NOT see that anymore especially in the post season. the awareness and speed and just pure hockey sense it takes to be able to do that in the playoffs against the kings speaks volumes for his development. his shot was improving, puck control, confidence. just all around becoming that top guy on the blue line.

he got comfy and effective rushing the puck when he saw an opening the entire post season and he got the puck deep. the guy turned into a beast. went from an average dman to a top pair seemingly overnight. I don't understand the growth spurt.

really sad we let this one go. Thanks to Anton for getting us as far as we got. he was crucial.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Thanks for your contributions, Anton.

That said, I think the guy became the most overrated Ranger since Sean Avery.

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
To me he was the 5th best player on the team behind Hank, McD, Zucc, and Nash. He will be sorely missed.

If Tampa pairs him with Hedman, Hedman better start practicing his Norris acceptance speech.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Consistently one of our better playoff performers the past few years. Great story. Good luck to him and his family.

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
I liked him, not only was a he a good Dman, he knew what to do in front of Hank without getting in his way. I also think he has some untapped offensive potential, but IDK if it that contract was worth the gamble.

Ok, Zamorsky, your next on the defenseman transformation game.

nikonsniper*

Sad to see him go, but Girardi and Klein are on deals that keep them around for 4+years. We really couldn't strategically lock in a third RD for the same duration. That blocks out anyone else coming up that side (like McI). Secondly, what if the league/team is into a different playing style in 3-4 years? you need to keep some flexibility to adjust the roster.

Florida Ranger

Bring back Torts!
Sep 2, 2008
Wesley Chapel, FL
One of our most consistent on the blueline. He stepped his game up in our runs - 12 and 14. I still can't believe we couldn't match Tampa's offer. I would've done it if I was Sather. But who knows. Maybe he wanted more because of taxes or he was let go because of Sather's game plan signing RFAs.

Crease

Jul 12, 2004
One of our most consistent on the blueline. He stepped his game up in our runs - 12 and 14. I still can't believe we couldn't match Tampa's offer. I would've done it if I was Sather. But who knows. Maybe he wanted more because of taxes or he was let go because of Sather's game plan signing RFAs.

Tampa gave him a modified NTC. The stability Stralman was seeking for his young family after bouncing around the league for a few years. Would have created a log-jam on the right side of the blueline in New York, with McIlrath and others likely ready for third-pair duty in the next year or two. Girardi has a NMC and Klein is dirt-cheap for what he brings. Stralman wanted to stay, but knew he would be the odd man out in the near future. Family first.

Zamboner

Juice in his slacks
Feb 7, 2013
NY
The mere achievement of winning John Tortorella over after Torts admittedly didn't like anything about him or his game, makes Stralman an NHL Legend. More accomplished players can't and will never be able to say that.

Stralman didn't do anything great, but everything very good. He became as steady as it comes on the blue line, and I'm happy for him that he got paid. From not being able to make a Devils roster with no D-Men, to being the most sought after Free Agent D-Man in the span of a few years is pretty remarkable.

Raymones

Aug 2, 2005
Sweden
The mere achievement of winning John Tortorella over after Torts admittedly didn't like anything about him or his game, makes Stralman an NHL Legend. More accomplished players can't and will never be able to say that.

Stralman didn't do anything great, but everything very good. He became as steady as it comes on the blue line, and I'm happy for him that he got paid. From not being able to make a Devils roster with no D-Men, to being the most sought after Free Agent D-Man in the span of a few years is pretty remarkable.

:handclap::handclap:

This is a brilliant post. Rangers will regret letting this guy go, IMO.

beastly115

Oct 12, 2007
Thanks for your contributions, Anton.

That said, I think the guy became the most overrated Ranger since Sean Avery.

Glad someone else sees it.

How many times have we seen a guy play outstanding in his contract year only to get a big fat contract, and fall back to earth? Being Rangers fans, we know this all too well. For once we're not on the wrong side of the signing.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Is this thread necessary?

Great defenseman and loved him while he was here but we didn't just let McDonagh go.

Crease

Jul 12, 2004
I didn't realize the Rangers had Borje Salming playing for them.

Good player. He got his financial security for his four kids. Good luck to him.

I love when RB gets saucy. This is my favorite line from you to date. :laugh:

Jan 8, 2012
NY
Why can't we have an appreciation thread for a player without it turning into "rate how overrated this guy is?"

Bullseyes

Aug 16, 2013
Good luck to Stralman in Tampa.

He was a solid player for the Rangers and while he's not McDonagh, they'll still miss him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad