Anton Lundell vs Elias Pettersson

Who would you rather have now and in the future?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

thomast

Oct 23, 2009
He’s going to be a top 5 player soon so that was warranted.
Not saying it is impossible, but he has dethrone a player like McDavid, Makar, Drai, Matthews and Mackinnon, so i don’t see how it is ”warranted”. A player like Matthews who averaged similar GPG to Pettersson PPG, might arguably be the guy in the 5th place.

Let’s see first, if he can crack top 20 first after this season.

FOurteenS inCisOr

FOS COrp CEO
May 4, 2012
Republic of VI
Not saying it is impossible, but he has dethrone a player like McDavid, Makar, Drai, Matthews and Mackinnon, so i don’t see how it is ”warranted”. A player like Matthews who averaged similar GPG to Pettersson PPG, might arguably be the guy in the 5th place.

Your math is off here.

.62 is not close to .94

thomast

Oct 23, 2009
Your math is off here.

.62 is not close to .94
Last year Matthews had .82 gpg (60 g in 73 gm) and Pettersson had .85 ppg(68 p in 80 gm), but the you missed the context. Pettersson have a lot to prove until he is considered top 5 player in the NHL.

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
Last year Matthews had .82 gpg (60 g in 73 gm) and Pettersson had .85 ppg(68 p in 80 gm), but the you missed the context. Pettersson have a lot to prove until he is considered top 5 player in the NHL.

What exactly is your point?

Lundell has a lot to prove to even be a top 100 player in the NHL.

I know this is a bump from a long time ago but the gap is so big right now it's kinda funny to see all the takes and over-rating of a two way forward.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

thomast

Oct 23, 2009

I know this is a bump from a long time ago but the gap is so big right now it's kinda funny to see all the takes and over-rating of a two way forward.
You’ll see the full context and the point if you read few previous posts. Not a hard task to do, and it is crucial ability to get the full image of conversations in message boards like hfboards.

Last edited:

FOurteenS inCisOr

FOS COrp CEO
May 4, 2012
Republic of VI

Why would we only use last season?

Why not just the last 82 games? If we’re going for recency.

Or you could use their entire careers—still favours Matthews, but still closer than choosing one players worst career (injury plagued season) and one player’s best.

Your post is the one that missed the context.

Last edited:
Reactions: bh53

thomast

Oct 23, 2009
Why would we only use last season?

Why not just the last 82 games? If we’re going for recency.

Or you could use their entire careers—still favours Matthews, but still closer than choosing one players worst career (injury plagued season) and one player’s best.

Your post is the one that missed the context.
So in your opinion Pettersson is close at being top 5 player in the NHL, or in what statement you disagree with me?

I compared most recent seasons to give an picture how he has still a lot to prove to be considered top 5 player in the NHL, because there was a poster who stated ”He is soon a top 5 player”. I gave an example, player like Matthews who is arguably the 5th best player had almost similar gpg to Pettersson ppg last year. This example alone should prove how there is still a lot to be achieved for Pettersson to be considered in this group.

I believe my post was clearly in context.
Why would i use old stats to paint an image of current state of player abilities? Do you consider Brad Marchand a top 5-10 NHL player currently, because he was one when Pettersson had a career year in PPG? Of course we could only use this year production, but the sample size isn’t enough to draw clear conclusions. Even when Matthews isn’t at the top in the goal scoring this year and Horvat is 2nd, i still consider Matthews as a better scorer in the league, because he has the body of work from the previous seasons. Body of work from the previous couple of seasons is exactly how players are usually ranked.

This year he has obviously been really good and if he continues like this, he could crack top 15-20 after this season, but he needs to prove it for couple of seasons and even improve a lot to crack into top 10, let alone top 5. Not impossible, but far from certainty.

Last edited:
Reactions: Yackiberg8

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
This shows how people don't understand yet what kind of player Lundell will develop into

why would anyone take Lundell for what he might develop into when Pettersson already is that?

edit: just realized this thread is a year old

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
why would anyone take Lundell for what he might develop into when Pettersson already is that?

edit: just realized this thread is a year old

Still voted Pettersson but this poll was never fair to Lundell, it's like comparing MacKinnon to Bergeron. They're also not at the same development stage so you had to use projection regarding Lundell

Not a big fan of polls like this, unless it is clearly explained in the OP

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
True enough and I doubt he ever becomes a top 5 player but definitely a top 10-20ish forward and then there is this.

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver

He’s easily top 20.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
At this point, Canucks d prospect Elias Pettersson would be a closer comparison for Lundell...

Cats2TheCup

Oct 27, 2011
Miami, Fl
Kinda the wrong thread don't you think?
This is a thread for the ages. You did not notice this thread was about future predictions. And the future is now. Lundell is a playoff hero, scoring goals, killing penalties, winning important faceoffs in playoff games, doing winning. EP is not what they said he was and these two might face off someday, don’t you think?

Bond

May 10, 2012
This is a thread for the ages. You did not notice this thread was about future predictions. And the future is now. Lundell is a playoff hero, scoring goals, killing penalties, winning important faceoffs in playoff games, doing winning. EP is not what they said he was and these two might face off someday, don’t you think?
Lol

Reactions: thefutures

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
So just to break it down for these playoffs this is their respective lines.

Lundell who is obviously your frontrunner for the conn smythe now

11-2-7-9

EP (why is even in the lineup blocking Bains)

11-1-4-5 (-1)

Yes EP40 is having a bad playoff (he obviously has been playing through some sort of injury most likely since the beginning of February) but man you are just so out to lunch and in the wrong thread.

Heck no one in the florida management team would take Lundell going forward over Petey in a vacuum and there is a reason for that right?

Cats2TheCup

Oct 27, 2011
Miami, Fl

11-2-7-9

EP (why is even in the linep blcoking Bains)

11-1-4-5 (-1)

Yes EP40 is having a bad playoff but man you are just so out to lunch and in the wrong thread.

Heck no one in the florida management team would take Lundell going forward over Petey in a vacuum and there is a reason for that right?
This is my thread and it’s relevant. sorry but it’s not about you, you don’t have to participate. It’s about two hockey players

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
This is my thread and it’s relevant. sorry but it’s not about you, you don’t have to participate. It’s about two hockey players
Yup that's why I'm commenting on the 2 hockey players, no idea what you are doing and don't care really either.

Cats2TheCup

Oct 27, 2011
Miami, Fl

11-2-7-9

EP (why is even in the lineup blocking Bains)

11-1-4-5 (-1)

Yes EP40 is having a bad playoff (he obviously has been playing through some sort of injury most likely since the beginning of February) but man you are just so out to lunch and in the wrong thread.

Petey is not injured, even his coach said he wasn’t. He doesn’t have the drive to be great and to learn and grow that Lundell has. I’m sorry but Precious Petey wouldn’t be allowed in the Panthers locker room. Nobody wants that energy on the team.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Petey is not injured, even his coach said he wasn’t. He doesn’t have the drive to be great and to learn and grow that Lundell has. I’m sorry but Precious Petey wouldn’t be allowed in the Panthers locker room. Nobody wants that energy on the team.
Maybe he isn't but the coach sure in the hell wouldn't say so if he was right so why even bring it up?

Looking back at his shooting % something has changed since February and it wasn't an all of a sudden thing in the playoffs.

But one game really doesn't change anything dude.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad