Boston Herald Anton Khudobin looks gone, John Tavares still a wait-and-see

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Not protecting Subban last year is looking more like a mistake

Bruins notebook: Anton Khudobin looks gone, John Tavares still a wait-and-see

Don Sweeney, still in the thick of the John Tavares sweepstakes, did not say who might be coming to play here next year, but he doesn’t expect a certain goaltender to be back.

As the Herald reported Monday, chances are slim that backup Anton Khudobin will return.
“I’ve stayed in contact,” said Sweeney about his free agents, who also include Sean Kuraly, Riley Nash and Tim Schaller. “I think the goaltending one is probably going in a different direction at this point, but I’ve stayed in contact with all of them.”

That would put the B’s on the hunt for another established backup. They were believed to have pushed hard for Carter Hutton, but he wants the opportunity to win the No. 1 job. It’s been reported that Cam Ward is headed to Chicago and Jonathan Bernier to Detroit, though none of that has been confirmed.

That could leave the likes of Chad Johnson, Robin Lehner and Kari Lehtonen as available backups.

Khudobin is coming off a strong year. He went 16-6-7 and stepped into the breach early in the season when Tuukka Rask was struggling. Sweeney said finding someone with NHL experience is “very” important.

“It ranks right at the top of the list,” he said. “I think Anton did a fabulous job and we need to make sure we’re satisfied there. It’s a priority for us.”

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Not protecting Subban last year is looking more like a mistake.

I can't agree with that at all, Fenway. There was no way to protect him. He had to clear waivers and it made no sense for Boston to carry 3 goalies. He showed nothing in his time in Boston. Yes, the Bruins could have rolled with him and waived Khudobin, but who knows how that outcome would have happened. Also, Khudobin played an important role when this team was floundering.

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
I can't agree with that at all, Fenway. There was no way to protect him. He had to clear waivers and it made no sense for Boston to carry 3 goalies. He showed nothing in his time in Boston. Yes, the Bruins could have rolled with him and waived Khudobin, but who knows how that outcome would have happened. Also, Khudobin played an important role when this team was floundering.

Plus it looks like Vegas don’t have all that much confidence in him either

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Plus it looks like Vegas don’t have all that much confidence in him either

He started off injured, got hurt mid-season for a bit, and his numbers made a slow decline. They didn't play him at all during the end of the season. Maybe it was injury related? Subban's ending stats this past season weren't that great. 2.68 GAA and a .910 SV%

Reactions: Chief Nine

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
He started off injured, got hurt mid-season for a bit, and his numbers made a slow decline. They didn't play him at all during the end of the season. Maybe it was injury related? Subban's ending stats this past season weren't that great. 2.68 GAA and a .910 SV%

That’s possible. It’ll be interesting to see what happens with Malcolm this season

Reactions: BruinsFanSince94

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
There was some chatter that Khudobin would have cleared waivers back in October.

It's the "what if" game that I'm playing here, but fact is: Dobby was a big reason for the team's turnaround this season. He helped them out big time when they were floundering. He was in net for around 39/112 points. So without Khudobin, you're looking at 73 points. Who knows what Subban would have done. He could have shown some potential, or continued to flounder. I can't agree with this just because Khudobin is walking now.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Not protecting Subban last year is looking more like a mistake

Bruins notebook: Anton Khudobin looks gone, John Tavares still a wait-and-see

It is what it is.

The B’s did not think Subban was ready to be a capable NHL backup yet. His early numbers last year were good, but as the season went on, he came back to earth. By playoff time, Subban was the 3rd goalie and not dressed. In the end, Khudobin had better numbers and served his purpose very well.

This year, the B’s are in a similar position with ZM. I’m not sure the B’s FO is ready to trust him with an NHL role, but I would like to see him get a shot so they can find out what he is. I’m don’t know if he would be claimed going through waivers, as he had an inconsistent year and doesn’t have the 1st round pedigree Subban does?

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
This year, the B’s are in a similar position with ZM. I’m not sure the B’s FO is ready to trust him with an NHL role, but I would like to see him get a shot so they can find out what he is. I’m don’t know if he would be claimed going through waivers, as he had an inconsistent year and doesn’t have the 1st round pedigree Subban does?

I hope they go into camp with Zane given the shot to win the backup job- they need to know whether he can do it or not, as he's shown potential as a maybe. I'm afraid if someone like Lehtonen or Lehner is signed as a backup, they *will* be the backup and unless a total implosion occurs, will be in the job for the whole season whether they are great or not. I'd prefer they sign an AHL/NHL tweener goalie to compete with Zane and let's see what we have.

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
It is what it is.

The B’s did not think Subban was ready to be a capable NHL backup yet. His early numbers last year were good, but as the season went on, he came back to earth. By playoff time, Subban was the 3rd goalie and not dressed. In the end, Khudobin had better numbers and served his purpose very well.

Sums it up.

I’d like to see the team play some really solid 60 minute efforts early on in front of Zane to give him confidence, I think he’s good enough to play at the nhl level I just hope the team doesn’t lay early season stinkers in front of him

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I hope they go into camp with Zane given the shot to win the backup job- they need to know whether he can do it or not, as he's shown potential as a maybe. I'm afraid if someone like Lehtonen or Lehner is signed as a backup, they *will* be the backup and unless a total implosion occurs, will be in the job for the whole season whether they are great or not. I'd prefer they sign an AHL/NHL tweener goalie to compete with Zane and let's see what we have.

Why do they need to find out whether Zane can do the job or not? He’s a 26 year old dime-a-dozen goaltender. Guys at his level are signed, waived, go to europe, etc every season all over the hockey world. If he wasn’t under contract for one more year he’d likely be fielding offers from the KHL at this point.

Reactions: Bun Cook

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX

Why do they need to find out whether Zane can do the job or not? He’s a 26 year old dime-a-dozen goaltender. Guys at his level are signed, waived, go to europe, etc every season all over the hockey world. If he wasn’t under contract for one more year he’d likely be fielding offers from the KHL at this point.

Because I like the guy and want him to succeed? He's a prospect that the team thought well enough of to give a contract to, and who hasn't really been given the chance to show whether he can do the job. If he can't, he can't, but we've drafted and developed him so why not? Or we can go down the road of some NHL re-tread who if he is looking at Boston to be a backup its because he's failed someplace else. The Bruins clearly don't regard the position as ultra-important or they would not have let Dobby walk over his contract demands. So, you're going to pay a 1-1.5 a year to a guy as a backup, well then you're likely going to get mediocre shit in net. Might as well be the player we have under contract who has something to prove.

Rubber Biscuit

Sep 9, 2010
Long Island
Because I like the guy and want him to succeed? He's a prospect that the team thought well enough of to give a contract to, and who hasn't really been given the chance to show whether he can do the job. If he can't, he can't, but we've drafted and developed him so why not? Or we can go down the road of some NHL re-tread who if he is looking at Boston to be a backup its because he's failed someplace else. The Bruins clearly don't regard the position as ultra-important or they would not have let Dobby walk over his contract demands. So, you're going to pay a 1-1.5 a year to a guy as a backup, well then you're likely going to get mediocre **** in net. Might as well be the player we have under contract who has something to prove.

Going to jump in here and add that I've had a handful of limited interactions with Zane and he's just a fantastic guy. I really hope he succeeds with us

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Going to jump in here and add that I've had a handful of limited interactions with Zane and he's just a fantastic guy. I really hope he succeeds with us

I was sold on him after the 3 amigos podcast he did. From what I recall he had a good game with us and a poor one, but the Bruins haven't really put him in a position to truly succeed or fail. If the team plays well in front of the guy, like they did for Dobby early this past season, no reason he can't do the job.

Reactions: Rubber Biscuit

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
the only issue is you'll have no depth in Providence or Atlanta, if you put McIntyre on the parent club, or do you run the risk again, of the regular season waiver claim period.... why was Binnington readily available when they made that tweak to the Providence roster, they don't have that luxury now, where every team has 1 or 2 affiliates.

Rubber Biscuit

Sep 9, 2010
Long Island
the only issue is you'll have no depth in Providence or Atlanta, if you put McIntyre on the parent club, or do you run the risk again, of the regular season waiver claim period.... why was Binnington readily available when they made that tweak to the Providence roster, they don't have that luxury now, where every team has 1 or 2 affiliates.

Once again... I promise you if Zane is the best fit for Boston, they'll leave him there. They're not going to sacrifice their NHL success for the sake of Providence or f***ing Atlanta

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England

Why do you care so much about the affiliate teams and think Boston factors that into their decision making?

Reactions: Chief Nine

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX

Signing a player for your affiliate is a heck of lot less important and/or difficult as signing someone to play in the NHL. Vladar will be in Providence. PBruins can sign one if need be. If Atlanta has no one in net, they, like all ECHL teams will sign one- if you look through the ECHL clubs, most of the players in that league are not property of an NHL team.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Once again... I promise you if Zane is the best fit for Boston, they'll leave him there. They're not going to sacrifice their NHL success for the sake of Providence or ****ing Atlanta
RB, they have no depth, at either level, what Rask is playing all 84 games now, because that's exactly what you're
whining about in your post, if AK is gone, are you trusting Vladar to be the primary starter in Providence, and becoming the 1C option if either Rask or McIntyre are hurt.....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad