Player Discussion Antoine Roussel, the hated Frenchman.

phil7488

We're back
Mar 3, 2011
DFW
http://www.defendingbigd.com/2016/4/4/11364346/is-antoine-roussel-becoming-one-of-the-most-hated-players-in-the-nhl

Defending Big D has a good write up on our most beloved Frenchman and it got me thinking about his impact come playoff time. He has all those GWG's this year, so it's not like he's some goon who can't play. He brings a ridiculous amount of intensity every shift and can be an impact player at times. Will he be a key player or even an x factor come playoff time? He has an uncanny ability to get under the oppositions skin and get them off their game. I've noticed that he targets the impact players for the opposition and routinely draws matching penalties to get them off the ice and their game. Can he and will he bring the same intensity during the playoffs and can he keep us off the PK during key junctures of the game by not taking bad penalties?

Hockey Dad

Jan 27, 2016
Texas
I think a lot of people underestimate the value to the Stars of Roussell. I think if stars had to protect Roussell or Ritchie they would look to move Ritchie to protect Roussell.

Dave Karp

Jul 11, 2007
Nova Scotia
I know I'm in the minority here, but I cannot stand Roussel. That's not to say I don't find him effective but he's a little puke. I'm happy he's on our team (sometimes) but he's the type of player that if he can consistently draw penalties or engage in "trade off" penalties with better players, I think he'll be quite useful for the Stars come playoff time. Furthermore, he's something that the Stars really need: he plays with some sandpaper and he's got a decent measure of talent, too. He's the type of guy you need on a team chalk full of talent.

phil7488

We're back
Mar 3, 2011
DFW
I know I'm in the minority here, but I cannot stand Roussel. That's not to say I don't find him effective but he's a little puke. I'm happy he's on our team (sometimes) but he's the type of player that if he can consistently draw penalties or engage in "trade off" penalties with better players, I think he'll be quite useful for the Stars come playoff time. Furthermore, he's something that the Stars really need: he plays with some sandpaper and he's got a decent measure of talent, too. He's the type of guy you need on a team chalk full of talent.

I now where you're coming from in your dissent but he has really gotten a lot better with his approach this year. He's not as borderline as he used to be and I think him playing with Faksa balances his game out. I think if he plays it smart in the playoffs he can be really effective.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Roussel has become a much more rounded player compared to even two years back. Sometimes he still acts like an asshat but he stopped taking runs at people and borderline hits pretty much completely . His chirping and stiring up trouble is not going away but thats probably mostly a good thing. I rather have people going after him for beeing an asshat than for Klingberg/Seguin for beeing a great skill player.

Last edited:

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
There was a thread not too long ago on the NHL talk Section about him slashing a Blue. While it wasn't a truly dirty type play, as he was trying to get the puck, I have noticed him using the same slash technique in nearly every game to garner the puck.

So, I think he has reduced the run into the guy dangerous penalties, but the slash play is still something I would like to see him reduce. Granted, Guy Carbonneau lived on that back in the day, but its not so tolerated now.

The other thing that strikes me about him is the number of calls (like the high stick in Anaheim) where they simply won't give him the right call.....because it's Roussel. He also takes a few penalties others wouldn't get called for.....because it's Roussel.

He needs to clean it up far more to get fair treatment, but that is a several year process. That said, its probably not possible nor do they want him to. They will accept the good and bad.

The fear is, and we can't tell, but it could end up costing us at a critical moment in the playoffs.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Its probably too late for him to get "fair treatment". Reffing has been horrendous lately, but that's another discussion completely.

Indianation65

Oct 14, 2014
Currently, North Tex
Is he this year's Garbutt?

I like Roussel, but the refs may be getting to the point of liking him as well...they "like" penalizing him.

What was the redheaded player's name who got traded from Dallas a few years ago? He was a big-time instigator.

phil7488

We're back
Mar 3, 2011
DFW

I like Roussel, but the refs may be getting to the point of liking him as well...they "like" penalizing him.

What was the redheaded player's name who got traded from Dallas a few years ago? He was a big-time instigator.

Oh you mean this guy? Ott was a beast lol.

images

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010

Not even close. Garbutt was a liability.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Refs are human, I guess. Hard to forget that Ott and Ribs basically got traded because their constant jawing at the refs was starting to cost the Stars big time in penalties. Niewy (class guy, of course) and Gainey before him didn't like the overall reputation the Stars were getting from just those two.

Antoine might be okay for aggressive play as long as he smiles as the refs hand him most penalties. But he is still subject to reputation calls.

I recall Johan Franson finally getting a goalie interference call in the 2008 playoffs against us, maybe not so much because he was actually in the crease on that goal, but because so many over so many years complained about him.

Funny, how complaining usually works against you, but sometimes works for you.

I recall Hull getting caught on tape asking a ref "Whose behind here? We need a call." That pretty well sums up the mindset that refs have. Reputation calls, make up calls, and keep the team behind in the game calls are all part of it, like it or not.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Refs are human, I guess. Hard to forget that Ott and Ribs basically got traded because their constant jawing at the refs was starting to cost the Stars big time in penalties. Niewy (class guy, of course) and Gainey before him didn't like the overall reputation the Stars were getting from just those two.

Antoine might be okay for aggressive play as long as he smiles as the refs hand him most penalties. But he is still subject to reputation calls.

I recall Johan Franson finally getting a goalie interference call in the 2008 playoffs against us, maybe not so much because he was actually in the crease on that goal, but because so many over so many years complained about him.

Funny, how complaining usually works against you, but sometimes works for you.

I recall Hull getting caught on tape asking a ref "Whose behind here? We need a call." That pretty well sums up the mindset that refs have. Reputation calls, make up calls, and keep the team behind in the game calls are all part of it, like it or not.

All are stupid from the refs' POV, but they're probably true.

Also, I think that might've been Holmstrom instead of Franzen, but either way, the point stands. Just nitpicking. :P

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad