Prospect Info: Antoine Laganiere signs with Ducks

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Lets put it this way.
Even before these recent signing the Ducks were ranked having the 2nd best prospect pools in the NHL next to Edmonton.
Adding Laganiere, Sarualt, Whitney, and Gagne can only help.

By who? I think we have a good prospect pool - probably top 10 in the league but the Wild, Sens, Panthers, Oilers and no doubt a couple of others have got much better prospect pools.

We may have the most depth but I don't think we have nearly as much top end talent as some teams.

JeffShibley

Jul 31, 2005
By who? I think we have a good prospect pool - probably top 10 in the league but the Wild, Sens, Panthers, Oilers and no doubt a couple of others have got much better prospect pools.

We may have the most depth but I don't think we have nearly as much top end talent as some teams.

I edit my post before i saw this one...i forgot to write The Hockey News Future Watch issue had the Ducks ranked 2nd.

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia

I can see an argument for the first three, but the Oilers?

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site

I wouldn't say much better, and I probably wouldn't include the Oilers. Unless you go by HF's standards, their prospect pool kind of sucks. One good defenseman, three decent ones they overrate, and that's about it. Even if you go by HF standards I think I'd still take ours. Our depth isn't something to take lightly, even if we don't have as much impact talent.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
I can see an argument for the first three, but the Oilers?

That's a top end talent vs depth debate I guess. I don't think anyone in our pool comes close to RNH or Yakupov in terms of upside (although I'm not Yakupov's biggest fan). And Edmonton has a couple of other solid guys to go along with those two (Schultz & Klefbom).

Actually it depends if RNH is still regarded a prospect or not. If he's not then Edmonton's pool drops considerably and yeah our pool is significantly better.

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
That's a top end talent vs depth debate I guess. I don't think anyone in our pool comes close to RNH or Yakupov in terms of upside (although I'm not Yakupov's biggest fan). And Edmonton has a couple of other solid guys to go along with those two (Schultz & Klefbom).

Actually it depends if RNH is still regarded a prospect or not. If he's not then Edmonton's pool drops considerably and yeah our pool is significantly better.
You don't think Vatanen, Lindholm, Karlsson, Rakell, or Gibson are on par with Klefbom or Schultz? Why?

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
You don't think Vatanen, Lindholm, Karlsson, Rakell, or Gibson are on par with Klefbom or Schultz? Why?

I said I don't think anyone comes close to RNH or Yakupov, I just added they had another couple of solid guys in Kelfbom and Schultz - not that those guys were all world or anything.

Edit: I'd definitely take Lindholm or Palmieri over Schultz. Probably Etem as well. Karlsson for me is too hard to project at this point and with Rakell it depends on how much of his offensive ability translates to the pros.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
RNH has 100 games, so I don't think he counts as a prospect by any measure.

Yeah as I said if he's not considered a prospect then I take the Ducks pool. I was looking at lists from earlier in the year.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I don't think it's safe to say that Sarault and Laganiere are equivalent to free first rounders.

Appearing as though they could be...I guess is what I should've said. Looking like. Its not safe to say, but I think it could be something to consider.

Oct 18, 2011
excuse me.
yeeeeeeesssssssss

i thought for sure he'd sign with Vancouver, can't believe he chose the ducks, finally some more size coming

Last edited:

tradervik

Hear no evil, see no evil, complain about it
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2007
My french is a bit rusty, but my rough translation:

"They called me Friday and told me what they thought of me and about their plans for me as a winger in their organization. Honestly, their AHL system looks pretty good. When it came time to choose I was very [most?] comfortable with choosing Anaheim."

The "AHL system looks pretty good" comment is about Montreal, not the Ducks. :)

What Laganiere said about the Ducks:

"On the other hand, when it was time to choose, I thought I would be more comfortable in Anaheim."

"[The Ducks] are a great organization. The interest was always strong. I liked the players. I think there is a good development path for me with the Ducks. They have had a lot of success with their prospects who came from the ranks of the American universities."

Markus078

Feb 26, 2003
Austria
Visit site
Very good signing - I still hope for Greg Carey who is a pure sniper! Get it done folks and I will be really happy! So far all the additions seem to be great. Do you think with the addings of forwards now we will go hard after D in the lower rounds at the draft?

Basicly I like the UFA route for adding talent. They are just more ready! Most of them will become bottom 6 players at best but sometimes there are those jewels. I still miss Glencross btw :D

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Very good signing - I still hope for Greg Carey who is a pure sniper! Get it done folks and I will be really happy! So far all the additions seem to be great. Do you think with the addings of forwards now we will go hard after D in the lower rounds at the draft?

Basicly I like the UFA route for adding talent. They are just more ready! Most of them will become bottom 6 players at best but sometimes there are those jewels. I still miss Glencross btw :D

We did it last year, i doubt we do it again.

But we have pretty deep depth at every position now in our prospect pool with these signings.

Might go for the best player available in pretty much all rounds. Judging by our stafff interviews and reports, we did it last year in first 4 rounds with Lindholm, Kerdiles, Andersen and Roy. And then it was only dmen.

snarktacular

Aug 2, 2005
Sounds good. I don't get excited about college FAs as much anymore though. That well seems to have dried up league-wide.

I think it was like Detroit-Europe in the 90s. Originally we scored big because we were one of very few teams to scout those legues much. Once other teams catch one (and they did now, just because they draft college guys much more), there isn't the sleeper talent like before.

So I consider it more like a free 2nd rounder. Except they aren't free. They get much higher ELCs than drafted guys. So there is a slight downside.

Fallenity

Apr 12, 2011
Typical HBfan: Who is he and why should I care?

--- 2 pages later ---

He will save the franchise!

Anyways, sounds like a solid signing. I don't know anything about these college guys, so I'll take someone elses word on it. Can you ever have too many prospects?

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Wow, this sounds really good. Could he be Dustin Penner with a work ethic?

This is going back awhile but when I first saw Laganiere play, the first player I thought of was former Blackhawk star Eric Daze. I think Daze was a bit more a goal scorer, but if Laganiere develops more a of shoot first mentality the two would be very similar. Both are huge bodied forwards who can surprise you with their soft hands. I see a similar rough look skating stride that could be tweaked, but both guys get around the ice just fine. Laganiere seems to have a bit more of a mean streak in him, which is something I don't think Daze was ever noted for.

If this kid can reach a similar level of production without Daze's plaguing injury problems, I'll take that in a free prospect any day.

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
I watched him play about half a dozen games this season, a few more last year too.

Power forward, uses his body, nice hands, think of Blake Wheeler type production.

Good sign, arguably the best forward in the Frozen Four.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
The "AHL system looks pretty good" comment is about Montreal, not the Ducks. :)

What Laganiere said about the Ducks:

"On the other hand, when it was time to choose, I thought I would be more comfortable in Anaheim."

"[The Ducks] are a great organization. The interest was always strong. I liked the players. I think there is a good development path for me with the Ducks. They have had a lot of success with their prospects who came from the ranks of the American universities."

Kid did his homework. Ducks scouting is pretty smart when it comes to college or college bound players. Probably why (along with Burke) DeKeyser considered us.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
I watched him play about half a dozen games this season, a few more last year too.

Power forward, uses his body, nice hands, think of Blake Wheeler type production.

Good sign, arguably the best forward in the Frozen Four.

I`d be very happy for that, but at the same time, i don`t expect so much from him. Good bottom 6 guy from him would be great imo

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00