Prospect Info: Antoine Bibeau: 3 Shut-Outs, In First 8 Games / *1st NHL START TONIGHT! - (Sunday)

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
You just agreed with me, whether you realize it or not.., so you went against your original post..

You can't set an "exact age" for everyone, because everyone develops differently.. and at different rates..

Johnny Bower never even "started" in the NHL, until his 30's.... and some people wrote him off before then, too..
Tim Thomas

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
I think the main reason we won't is simply the pace of the game. It's so fast now and playing goal requires so much more athleticism than previously that older goalies(regardless of conditioning regimes) won't be able to keep up. It's a young man's game and is becoming more so every year.

I think the only goalie playing now with a legitimate shot of making 40 is Bobby Lou
I could see lundqvist making it to 40 and still playing.
The goalie position is just a difficult one to gage all around. Look at dubnyk; complete tire fire for years now vezna candidate.
Tim Thomas was not a starter until 30 and dominated. If he didn't take a year off to do whatever I think he would have still dominated for a few years.
Goalies are literally unpredictable.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Wait what? I can mostly agree with the first comment but the 2nd one certainly isn't applicable to the modern day NHL. Or are you referring to "playing" at all instead of playing effectively at a high level?

Only a handful of relatively recent goalies could still play in the NHL at or above 40(Hasek, Brodeur, Thomas and a few others) but they weren't nearly as effective once they hit 40.

These days I doubt you'll see ANY NHL goalie make it to 40

I think it would be more difficult for a skater. Yet there is a 45 year old still going. Someday a freak of nature will come along and play into his late 40's or even 50

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Oh for sure. I think the poster meant these days, never happen again.

Never say never. Lol after all people are living longer. Stands to reason they stay in better shape longer into their lives.
Agreed!
But it will take a freak. If Jager is still going in 5 years it will be astonishing.

Rhynne

Nov 14, 2016
I think it would be more difficult for a skater. Yet there is a 45 year old still going. Someday a freak of nature will come along and play into his late 40's or even 50

I still think it's tougher for a position such as goaltending which relies on reflexes more so than any other position in hockey. Skaters are only 1 of 5 on the ice at a time so you're somewhat sheltered even if you're a step or two off the pace.

I guess we also need to distinguish between a goalie just making it to 40 or above and playing in the NHL versus being 40 or above and an above average starter in the NHL, the latter of which would be more difficult.

Lu and the King could realistically make it but I would see them at that age as more of a veteran backup then the go to guy anymore

Rhynne

Nov 14, 2016
I could see lundqvist making it to 40 and still playing.
The goalie position is just a difficult one to gage all around. Look at dubnyk; complete tire fire for years now vezna candidate.
Tim Thomas was not a starter until 30 and dominated. If he didn't take a year off to do whatever I think he would have still dominated for a few years.
Goalies are literally unpredictable.

Actually I've followed Dubnyk from when he was in Edmonton and he was always a very good goalie. The one bad year he had there(which was a tire fire) he was hung out to dry so many times by the complete lack of defense there. It was atrocious.

When he was in Arizona I watched him every game(partly from having him in my fantasy league as a waiver pickup) and he was great. His technique was fundamentally sound and he was clearly playing much better than Mike Smith there yet the Yotes gave Smith more of the load since they had committed to him long term. I was happy for Dubs when he got traded to the Wild and knew that he would succeed there with a great defensive team. To me his performance isn't a surprise though I wouldn't have anticipated him being THIS good.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Actually I've followed Dubnyk from when he was in Edmonton and he was always a very good goalie. The one bad year he had there(which was a tire fire) he was hung out to dry so many times by the complete lack of defense there. It was atrocious.

When he was in Arizona I watched him every game(partly from having him in my fantasy league as a waiver pickup) and he was great. His technique was fundamentally sound and he was clearly playing much better than Mike Smith there yet the Yotes gave Smith more of the load since they had committed to him long term. I was happy for Dubs when he got traded to the Wild and knew that he would succeed there with a great defensive team. To me his performance isn't a surprise though I wouldn't have anticipated him being THIS good.

Ya I agree that he got hung out in Edmonton BAD! It look like they destroyed his confidence. I was very impressed with him right away in Minnesota. It was like he just found his mojo. Truely a great story.

SEER

Sep 21, 2015
Tim Thomas

Yep...

I think the main reason we won't is simply the pace of the game. It's so fast now and playing goal requires so much more athleticism than previously that older goalies(regardless of conditioning regimes) won't be able to keep up. It's a young man's game and is becoming more so every year.

I think the only goalie playing now with a legitimate shot of making 40 is Bobby Lou
I'll add Price to the names mentioned..

Rhynne

Nov 14, 2016
I'll add Price to the names mentioned..

Not if guys like Palmieri keep flying spikes up into him ;)

Yeah, Price's style is perfectly suited for a long long career. An absolute minimum amount of movement and smooth as silk. He almost looks half asleep out there he makes tough saves look so easy! But he's also not even 30 yet so it's a long ways away for him to get to the big four-oh

SEER

Sep 21, 2015
Not if guys like Palmieri keep flying spikes up into him ;)

Yeah, Price's style is perfectly suited for a long long career. An absolute minimum amount of movement and smooth as silk. He almost looks half asleep out there he makes tough saves look so easy! But he's also not even 30 yet so it's a long ways away for him to get to the big four-oh

He's 29... Not much difference between 30-35... It's after 40, where things start to change a lot more.. (at least in my own experience)

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Bebeau (i shall call himBee-Bow from now on) will be sticking for a while it seems. Ramo has had an "interesting" start with the marlies.

Here is hoping when Bee-Bow does get the start he plays lights out GOOD

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Bebeau (i shall call himBee-Bow from now on) will be sticking for a while it seems. Ramo has had an "interesting" start with the marlies.

I'm hoping NHL coaching is all Bibeau needs. He seems to be a lot like Andersen, but much worse. Good athleticism, doesn't seem to be a head case, but his technique is lacking at times... Like really lacking at times. He could easily be at .930 in the AHL if he fixed it, but instead is .907 or something.

I'd rather just mutually agree to rip up Enroth's contract, or move him to a team needing goalie depth for essentially nothing, and have one of Sparks or Bibeau as the backup, since it'll take a while for Ramo to come back from his injury.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
I don't think it will take Ramo all that long at all
They won't go with Sparks or Bibeau this year IMO
Ramo or they'll make another move is my guess

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto

this, it will be ramo or a trade or worst case enroth plays a couple of good games for the marlies and they make it out to be a good for his confidence. Within 1 maybe 2 weeks bibeau will be back with the marlies he wont be the full time backup this year

edit: i bet Bibeau doesnt play a game either

SEER

Sep 21, 2015

Tonight, it appears.. :)

I'm hoping NHL coaching is all Bibeau needs. He seems to be a lot like Andersen, but much worse. Good athleticism, doesn't seem to be a head case, but his technique is lacking at times... Like really lacking at times. He could easily be at .930 in the AHL if he fixed it, but instead is .907 or something.

I'd rather just mutually agree to rip up Enroth's contract, or move him to a team needing goalie depth for essentially nothing, and have one of Sparks or Bibeau as the backup, since it'll take a while for Ramo to come back from his injury.

If the Marlies had the same D-lineup for games, he probably would have a better average..

He's already had three shut-outs, in just his first eight regular season games.... and even had a shut-out in their final match-up in the Calder Cup 2016 playoffs...

Ramo is only on a PTO... This means the either the Leafs and/or he are able to walk away from this contract without any penalties.., without any discussion, or without any warning..

I think they want to see what we have, before committing to more beforehand..

this, it will be ramo or a trade or worst case enroth plays a couple of good games for the marlies and they make it out to be a good for his confidence. Within 1 maybe 2 weeks bibeau will be back with the marlies he wont be the full time backup this year

edit: i bet Bibeau doesnt play a game either

He plays tonight... :)

Paul Hendrick ‏@HennyTweets 12h
Bibeau confirmed starter tomorrow. NHL debut !! #tmltalk

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad