Value of: Anthony Stolarz to Minnesota

Dumpster Flyers

Jun 21, 2006
Hes an RFA, who has literally no leverage. I wouldn't be concerned about it at this point.

Realistically, I think he or Lyon are moved, but likely in a package, not as individuals.
His leverage is signing overseas, like I just said. Quite frankly, it might be the best career move for him, especially if Flyers won't trade his rights.

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
Any team that wanted to acquire Stolarz could pick him up, off waivers at the end of September or early October.

Last edited:

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
No GM is going to waste a waiver claim on Stolarz, a goalie who no one knows if he can even play at the AHL level at this moment.

Each team is allowed 50 goalies. Why wouldn’t someone take a lump on a former high draft pick who was highly thought of pre-injury.

I don’t understand why you don’t think he can play in the AHL.

Reactions: Marlowe Syn

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Likely wouldnt cost much. As you said, still a decent prospect but were out of room in the AHL at this point.

2nd?

The Flyers also signed Sandstrom from Sweden, their 3rd round pick from 2015, who is 21. So, they have both Hart and Sandstrom who seem bound for the AHL.

At the NHL level, they have both Neurvirth and Elliott under contract for the coming season, their final year on their contracts.

Then they have Lyon and Stolarz. Lyon is 25, with 2 years pro. He turns 26 in December. Stolarz is a 2nd round pick from 2012. He's 24 now. 3 years pro, plus last year's injury wasted season.

I'm not certain, but I don't think either one of these 2 guys can be sent to the AHL without clearing waivers. Given the age that Lyon signed his pro deal and Stolarz being a pro for the past 4 seasons, I think they need to clear waivers.

If that is the case, the Wild shouldn't have to part with that high a draft pick. Talking 3rd round realistically at most. Likely 4th round.

Hart is the main prospect, and he'll get the most starts in the AHL. Elliott is on the NHL roster. Even if they get rid of Neurvirth only one of Lyon/Stolarz make the NHL roster, the other has to go somewhere. And the Flyers need to develop Sandstrom since they signed him and he needs to adjust to the smaller ice surface.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
The Flyers also signed Sandstrom from Sweden, their 3rd round pick from 2015, who is 21. So, they have both Hart and Sandstrom who seem bound for the AHL.

At the NHL level, they have both Neurvirth and Elliott under contract for the coming season, their final year on their contracts.

Then they have Lyon and Stolarz. Lyon is 25, with 2 years pro. He turns 26 in December. Stolarz is a 2nd round pick from 2012. He's 24 now. 3 years pro, plus last year's injury wasted season.

I'm not certain, but I don't think either one of these 2 guys can be sent to the AHL without clearing waivers. Given the age that Lyon signed his pro deal and Stolarz being a pro for the past 4 seasons, I think they need to clear waivers.

If that is the case, the Wild shouldn't have to part with that high a draft pick. Talking 3rd round realistically at most. Likely 4th round.

Hart is the main prospect, and he'll get the most starts in the AHL. Elliott is on the NHL roster. Even if they get rid of Neurvirth only one of Lyon/Stolarz make the NHL roster, the other has to go somewhere. And the Flyers need to develop Sandstrom since they signed him and he needs to adjust to the smaller ice surface.
Sandstorm is expected to be back in the SHL next year.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Ok. Figured that since they signed him and he’s 21 that it was time to bring him over to adjust to the smaller ice angles.
He has 1 year left on his deal in SHL. Him staying there allows Hart to get the AHL starts along with Stolie or Lyon.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Any team that wanted to acquire Stolarz could pick him up, off waivers at the end of September or early October.
But then they'd have to keep him in the NHL or expose him to waivers, themselves. If a team wants him in the AHL as organizational depth, a waiver claim doesn't help them.

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
But then they'd have to keep him in the NHL or expose him to waivers, themselves. If a team wants him in the AHL as organizational depth, a waiver claim doesn't help them.

Yeah, I think this is the part some people are not understanding.

He's going to clear waivers, because if a team takes him they have to keep him on the NHL roster, and either they're using a roster spot on a third goalie or they're going to have a kid with 7 NHL games under his belt who essentially missed all of last season be their back-up, which would be crazy. That doesn't mean, however, that the Flyers would trade him away for nothing.

This is where people get confused as to why guys clear waivers and then get traded for picks. It's because waivers isn't just a way to get a player for nothing, there's conditions attached. As a goalie, Stolarz has a bit of waiver protection right now due to the limited number of roster spots allotted for his position and the uncertainty surrounding his injuries.

I think the Phantoms just carry three goalies this year and the Flyers wait for the inevitable moment when Elliott and/or Neuvirth start to break down. They might even move Neuvirth and bring up Lyon in camp.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad